Where are you from?

Old 08-08-2011, 06:24 PM

Phannie1, we moved to Andrews in '64 when I was 3 and stayed there for almost 10 years. My Dad was in Thailand in '74. That's when we lived in Anniston, AL. My Aunt and cousins live in Chattanooga/Rossville GA area. Spent time there every summer, and still visit at least once a year. We've been going to Gatlinburg for years now. Would love to have a cabin in the mountains. Guess we'll have to just settle for visiting a couple times a year! We're going back towards the end of Oct. when the leaves are changing. Love it there that time of year!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:12 PM

what a interesting read. if we all had a map with pins in it to show where everyone has been i bet that would be a site.
As for me; was born in Asheville, N.c till i was seven then was scooped up by my dad and taken to San Diego Ca. so grew up with the bay and beaches as my playground. Sea World was just across the brige so we were there alot. The zoo was free 16 and under in those days so my friends and me would take the bus there and go through the park too on weekends.
During summer vacations I spent them with my step moms relatives in Bergheim , frankfurt, and lisberg Germany and traveled to Switzerland. Austria,lichtenstein, italy, and those days what was called Youglosavia. I loved being with her side of the family and hated to leave.Europe was beautiful.
Got married at 17 to a navy guy and lived 4 years in Pearl Harbor Hawaii,where my first son was born, then to maryland and down to Great Bridge, Va. where he was stationed at communications base in the middle of the woods by the NC border.My 2nd son was born at Portsmouth,Va army hospital.
Then we split and I and the kids went back to Ca. Lived in San Diego where met DH then lived in El Cajon, and we moved to Victorville Ca. That is the place I concider home.
My DH's family found him after 36 years so he wanted to come back to his home here in Wichita so here we are. This is the first time I have lived here in the mid west so I can't say i like it. Thinking of joining my kids in Austin Tx next. The net stop will have to be home I hate traveling anymore than I have to I like to be home.Like others said that is where your loved ones are.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by islandboundquilting
I live in Petersburg Alaska. Small town about 3000 on an island. I have been here all my life and plan on staying the rest of it!!
I am curious. How do you get supplies in the winter if you live on an island? How bad is the weather for you in the winter? How often do you get to the mainland for fabric, groceries, etc? My DD and SIL just moved to Eagle River---will be there for the next 3 years.....Air Force.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by mhansen6
I am an Oregon girl. I was born in The Dalles at my Aunt and Uncles hospital. I graduated from McNary High School in Salem, Oregon. I graduated from Southern Oregon University in Ashland, Oregon. I now live in Bend. Both of my daughters were born in Bend also. My parents are Oregonians and so are my grandparents. This is home and this is where I plan to live the rest of my life.
I have a sister living in Bend. Have gotten to visit her once, beautiful area.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:33 AM

I am from Louisiana, lived in Dahlgren, Va, then to Houston, Tx. and now back in my home state of Louisiana. The town I live in is Leesville and is the home of Ft.Polk where many soldiers are trained to go to Iraq, etc. Small town, but I like it.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:18 AM

I'm from Maryland. Too bad you weren't closer as we could form a quilting group :)
Old 08-09-2011, 05:00 AM

Born and mostly raised in WV (there was a yr in Michigan and a couple in Va. Moved to Norfolk VA in 73 then to Chicago for a year in 81 then to Hawaii for 6 yrs in 82 then to the Bay area in CA in 88 and then back to Norfolk Va in 92. I love it here. I visit WV in the summer and fall months to see my sister and NC a few times a year to see my best friend. Going to CA this fall to see granddaughter on her 16th birthday. Yes, we are retired military and I only wished that I got to go more places. But I did get to drive across most of the states when I'd go from CA to Va and Mass to visit. That was great traveling and sometimes I'd change the route to see different things.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by gollytwo
Originally Posted by Joanne
I'm from Mass,born here, lived for a time in Fla. Love them both. My sister just called and wants me to figure out if it is better for her to live in New Hampshire, Rhode Island or Mass!! She is now in Conn and lost her job. She has to sell and move, but where should she go? Calls for some thinking to consider everything. What do you all think?
Mass has high taxes - if your sister is not on Medicare and is worried about health coverage, Mass has a good, very cheap health insurance plan
NH is a great state - no income and no sales tax, lots of quilters and Guilds
I know very little about RI, except that it has alot of ocean, good food and the Mafia
Mass has high everything. We used to go to visit every year and would bring cereal and alot of other things to cut cost. I don't like the long cold winters either. My husband is from there and once told me he wanted to move back when he retired in 5 yrs. I told him fine; divorce me now because I won't move any where it's more expensive and the weather is worse than where I live now.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:18 AM

I've lived in Hobbie PA my whole life.. My mailing address is Wapwallopen..
Old 08-09-2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by chatty cathy
I've lived in Hobbie PA my whole life.. My mailing address is Wapwallopen..
Now that is an unusual city name!