Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
My Darling? Husband >

My Darling? Husband

My Darling? Husband

Old 01-20-2011, 05:41 PM

Having owned a Quilt shop I have seen many husbands upset by their wife quilting. After talking to them,It came up to that many of them were jealous that their wives were so intense about the project they were working on the husband felt left left out! The want to be your center in life. Some of the older generations felt that quilting was only for women and they could not get involved.
Please keep your quilting going it is a stress re leaver and a moral booster!
Old 01-20-2011, 05:42 PM

My hubby is supportive too and will help me match material too.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by diannemc
My Darling? Husband is a TV person..He has no hobbies...Watching TV is all he does when not working...I am not!!..I love my sewing..He has always hated my sewing...
I don't know why except maybe the money it takes and the time it takes away from him...(and maybe the pins he has had to pull out of his barefoot a time or two :oops:)
Well the other day I finished a quilt and showed it to him.. He said "Thank goodness you are through".. I am sick of all this quilting..It use to be sewing now quilting... I wish you would just stop it..." I just turned and looked him square in the eyes and said.."Quilting makes me happy....and trust me....You want me to be happy..." Am I the only one here who has a hard time with a husband who doesn't understand to joy of quilting??
Any person who does not have a hobby will never understand those who like to keep busy with theirs. My husband understands!!!!!His hobby is more expensive than mine. You can tell by my avatar....he builds model airplanes. Even though we are on a fixed income, he makes sure I have what I need to keep any project I am working on progressing. I LOVE HIM!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 05:56 PM

My husband drives me to shop hops and goes in to get his free fat quarter. How cool is that? He truly is Mr. Wonderful (that's what I call him)
Old 01-20-2011, 06:04 PM

Sorry you have to hear remarks like that after all you pleasure of sewing. Have you made him a quilt?
Old 01-20-2011, 06:19 PM

Maybe you could schedule time together that doesn't include needles or remote controls? Agree on two hours a week that will be just for the two of you, and resurrect a common interest you had when you were dating. Surely he didn't watch TV only then?
Old 01-20-2011, 06:33 PM

My hubby is very supportive of anything that I do. Actually the most awesome quilt that I have made is a light house that I make for him. He thought it was amazing.

We have a general understanding. If I just need a quick fat quarter okay he's in but I don't ask him to go fabric shopping with me and he is all good with whatever.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bluehouse
I am so sad to see that many husbands don't support their wives in their passion. My husband is very supportive of my hobbies and passions. Several years ago he made his own wall hanging for his office. He has several passions that I support. We also do things together. I hope that those other husbands will see the happiness and value that their wives quilting and sewing bring to BOTH their lives.
Could it be that many husbands want to be their wifes' passion but don't know how to ask?

My husband is the love of my life. He has had hobbies all his life. I never had time for them - kids, house, went to college at night, worked - all that ate up my 'free' time!

Now I'm retired, the kids are grown and on their own and I do have time. I sewed when I was a teenager and a little bit when I was first married. Then, everything else became a higher priority. So I bought myself a little cheapo Brother (which I love - it is a work horse!) and some fabric and started quilting. He is happy I have a hobby, but had no idea how much it would cost!

We just enjoy each other and are happy to see each other busy and enjoying ourselves. And we definitely don't need to be together all the time or share everything.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:04 PM

My husband watches alot of tv...when he is not working. He does love to run and we both used to run together..but knee surgery put running out of my life. I hate it....but I do have plenty of hobbies...but right now it is quilting and embroidery. He never complains about it and sometimes even comes into my sewingroom and comments on how nice the project I'm working on looks. He is supportive of any hobby I am involved with. I guess I am truly blessed.
Old 01-20-2011, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by fayzer
Originally Posted by pocoellie
My husband would prefer that I spend more time with him or cleaning the house than I do, but he doesn't say anything really against it like yours. My husband knew that I sewed before we married so that wasn't an issue, maybe you and your husband should sit down and have a discussion about what would make both of you "happy", and if sewing/quilting makes you happy, so be it, life is too short to spend it being miserable.
My husband is a TV watcher too. I decided a long time ago that the house can be cleaned after I'm dead. (Not that it is all that dirty.) I make sure I go with him to Lowe's or where ever. I even occasionally give in and go to Golden Corral with him. Now THAT'S what he calls quality time. It keeps him from fussing and me sewing.
My husband loves Golden Corral, too. I have to say that the one by us does have excellent vegetables. We go together most of the time - as you say, it is quality time. And I have to eat something anyway.