Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 05-22-2011, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by doowopddbop
Won this cutie in a raffle - $5 for 6 tickets.
You must be kidding $5.00! What a dream purchase. LUCKY YOU!!! A beautiful little red darling. If I were to get a color other than black, I would definitely want a purple one, but I wouldn't dream of repainting what I have.
Old 05-22-2011, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Leota
I LOVE "Hurkie" I have never seen a hand crank feather weight! That's an awesome little machine... He will shine and whistle when he gets a spiffied up.

He’s got a lot of paint damage, but sews just fine. He’s a re-paint candidate for sure.

I’m trying to figure out a way to mount it on the handlebars of Bear's (my wife) motorcycle so she can piece quilt blocks while going back and forth to the shop. (Hehe, just kidding!)

This is one of her motorcycles, and is named "Bruiser". The other one is named "Bronc".

CD in Oklahoma

Hurkie on Bear's Motorcycle "Bruiser"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]200964[/ATTACH]

Hurkie on Bear's Motorcycle "Bruiser"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]200965[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-200958.jpe   attachment-200959.jpe  
Old 05-22-2011, 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by MaryKatherine
I have a hand-cranked machine from my mother. Does that qualify as a featherweight?
MaryKatherine
Do you have a pic. of it? Post it so we can see. I did not get to read all of these posts until tonight, and CD from OKLA has a hand crank FW that he posted a pic. of on a few pages beyond this page. Check it out.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by Gerbie
CD from OKLA has a hand crank FW that he posted a pic. of on a few pages beyond this page. Check it out.
I would love to find out how Hurkie was made into a hand crank. Did you have to make a notch in the handwheel?
Old 05-23-2011, 04:06 AM

Wilma
The first thing I would check is that the needle is in all the way and that it is a Singer needle. Nothing else will do in the old Singers. Also make sure she is oiled. Also make sure that the bobbin winder is not engaged. If the bobbin winder is engaged or in the on position it will feel like the needle is hitting when in fact the needle is getting locked down. Also take out the bobbin and bobbin case and make sure that there is no thread caught anywhere. That should take care of most of your problems.

Originally Posted by wilma A
is the 301a in the feather weight family? i have one that was given to me by my sister but i can't get it to sew the needle seems to be hitting on something and i cain't figure out what it is hitting.
Old 05-23-2011, 04:29 AM

After enjoying reading all these posts I now want my Tinkerbell to have a Centennial, a white and green FW sisters. She is lonely all by herself. CraftyBear you have started something :lol: :wink:
Old 05-23-2011, 04:49 AM

I'm the happy new owner of Miss Anise, a Featherweight I picked up at an estate sale just last month. She pieces beautifully and she travels like a dream! I even took her to sew in a friend's workshop setting while other friends worked on various projects. She looked so prim sitting on a table saw, surrounded by explosive compounds and liquor. ;)

No, I wasn't drinking... but I was having a good time!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]201010[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-201004.jpe  
Old 05-23-2011, 04:56 AM

I have 2 x 222's and 1 x black 221 and a white 221
Old 05-23-2011, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jennalyn
I'm the happy new owner of Miss Anise, a Featherweight I picked up at an estate sale just last month. She pieces beautifully and she travels like a dream! I even took her to sew in a friend's workshop setting while other friends worked on various projects. She looked so prim sitting on a table saw, surrounded by explosive compounds and liquor. ;)
For those of us who are lucky enough to have one (or more) of these little ladies in our lives we can tell the rest of you this about these little wonders.....they may look cute, delicate and fragile...but, like some little old ladies....they are tough little birds that don't back down from much.....I think Miss Anise looks like she can hold her own with the "tough" bunch...
Old 05-23-2011, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by Darcene
Originally Posted by Jennalyn
For those of us who are lucky enough to have one (or more) of these little ladies in our lives we can tell the rest of you this about these little wonders.....they may look cute, delicate and fragile...but, like some little old ladies....they are tough little birds that don't back down from much.....I think Miss Anise looks like she can hold her own with the "tough" bunch...
Amongst the clanging, banging, electric buzzing noises of the others, her quiet little purr sounded just lovely. The tough guys don't scare her a wink!