Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert! >

Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Sept 2011 Weight Loss Adventure -- Sept Winner is Katvert!

Old 09-03-2011, 06:25 PM

I'll join in on the 5 lb challenge. I certainly need to do something!
Old 09-03-2011, 06:49 PM

MJ, Momo is a good looking little guy. Honey looks like a bigger Moira. Does she have the long, silky coat, too?

Lynne, we'd all be so much better off if we all only ate 'real' food, but it's not always readily available and our taste buds are programed to like the fake stuff with it's flavor additives. It's sad that the real food is more expensive, too.
Old 09-03-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Vicky K
Hi, you missed me.
Thanks for the motivation.
I'm sorry I missed you. You are now on the list.

Good luck with your loss.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:44 PM

I'm not a fan of slide show articles - I'm too impatient, but I thought the timing of these showing up was perfect for us. I missed one answer on hte quiz, darn it. The second one has good info on protein. WebMD is a respected site - not one of my off-the-wall ones.
http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercis...wnl_wlw_090311

I'ts worth a look.
Judy
Old 09-03-2011, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by amymarieski
Ooh, I didn't know Jenny Craig had meals you could buy at the grocery store! Great information!
Well,she doesn't.I just call them that because it's on the same premis.Low cal meals and a green salad.I buy Marie Calendar,banquet,Caugen,and Hungry man.And others like lean cuisine.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:22 PM

xylie-- you are losing it, gurl! you already challenged me and i accepted 5 lbs. you know i'm on that train!! i am stuck at the moment as my back is very bad right now.( whining) i'm not sure what i did but between that and the fibro i'm sidelined as far as activity goes. i still get up, but a turtle would beat me across the road! and i'm bloated . and probably my feet stink. catch me before i slip deeper into this swamp! lol seriously, my weight is steady but my fat pants are not falling off. bloated? but i am still accepting your challenge, and i am going to meet it! and if possible, beat it! yeah! come on tigers! join us! it's more fun for alot of us to try to beat the pants (literally) offa someone else!
now i'm going back to sleep. thank you pharmaceuticals!
good night, everyone! see you tomorrow. all in our places, with thin shiny faces! teeheehee!
Old 09-03-2011, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by plainpat
Originally Posted by marscrafter
Thank you for the info to watch Xylie55, I'm going to watch some of those later this evening. It's really inspiring that you keep going, I know I've been bad about giving up if I mess up. It's hard to get back on the horse again.

What sort of snacks do you guys eat that aren't too bad?
In summer when fresh veggies & fruit are around,I often have fruit or veggie sticks with red pepper hummus.If I have cake or cookies,the cake is a very small piece & cookies are held to 2-3 with 1/2 cup of skim milk.A square of chocolate,pretzels or baked chips are good. I make my own 100 cal packs of chips & pretzels.....& have cut up candy bars.I like the portion control of LF ice cream bars & cups.Can't use artifical sweetners due to migranes.
What is hummis>I see a lot of people eat it,but haven't a clue as to what it is.I see some make their own.Is it a spread? Thanks
Old 09-03-2011, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Podunk Princess
Xylie, I'll join in on your 5-pound challenge. I'm hoping to lose 8-10 this month but knowing there is a mini-support group for the first 5 pounds will help a lot. I'm already down 1 pound this month and really need to keep the momentum going. Thanks for getting this started. :-)
Oh great.I'm with you.I'd like to do more too,so let's give er hell this month and see where it leads us!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by mim
I think I sort of blew it tonite at dinner -- There was a great sale at one of the major grocery stores -- lobster at $2.00 off a pound. DH and I haven't had any all summer. And this is sweet corn season.

So boiled lobster in melted butter with 2 ears of frest corn -- with lots of butter and salt (naturally). The funny thing is that I didn't know how to cook it !!! I had to go on the internet. LOL

We have 2 lobsters left so I am looking up receipes -- that hopefully won't be floating in butter. I guess I won't be losing any this week. But it was a treat -- and I only ate one -- not 2

So I think of it as that 1 slice of bacon treat.

Mim

Living on the shore in Maine has local treats -- like so many other parts of the country.
Oh YUM,Lobster.Well,that's ok.It's ok to eat a nice dinner.You can make up for it later on.Steve says that it's not what we eat today,or even yesterday,it's an accumulation over time.So if you back it off in a few days and keep at it,you'll not even know you did it.Just cut some calories somewhere else to make up for it.So,enjoy!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:04 PM

lynne-- tell me more about the 17day diet. is it in printed form somewhere? it's either that or spiritein (SP?) i'm not interested in cheating or trying to win by any extreme means possible, i just need to shake up things and get the system 'rebooted'. also, i'm cutting back on pretzels. part of my problem could be salt.
for those of you who love sweet potatoes, here is a very easy, very yummy almost no fat recipe! wash s.p. thoroughly and remove eyes and whiskers (only from the sweet potatoes, leave yours alone. you can get your whiskers pulled later. 8) ). slice the long way into wedges. i usually get 8. more if it's really big. preheat oven to 350-400, and put a crinkled sheet of foil on a cookie tray. here are 2 ways to proceed. a) lay slices down on foil, spray with olive oil (or other) baking spray and sprinkle with seasoning of your choice, i like chili powder, cinnamon, small amount of salt or faux salt(like mrs. dash) put pan in heated oven for 5-10 minutes. remove from oven and treat the other side as the first. replace in oven. time to bake/roast will depend on size of wedges, but i usually plan on another 30 minutes. you can turn them again at 15 minutes to encourage crispiness.
or plan b) put 1 T. olive or veg oil in bowl large enough to fit all slices at one time. put wedges (slices) in bowl. toss (not out the window or into the trash) and turn the wedges until all are evenly coated with the oil. sprinkle with seasoning evenly and toss again. (over-achievers, i take no responsibility for your ceilings having sweet potato spots, but if i were you i'd tone it down and toss them gently.) lay the wedges out on the cookie sheet, turn at 15 minutes, bake about another 20 min, depending on size ( the bigger you are, the longer they take, 8) ( jk! the bigger the slices are the longer they take. ( i make for you a leetle joke!(in a false russian accent). enjoy! they really are good for you (Lycopene and other good stuff) and are very low calories if you use the spray. and still pretty low if you use the oil. olive oil i believe is an omega 3 oil, and good for you. one of the friendly fats. ( like me!) don't forget pepper-it has no calories! can do this with other veggies, too.
lynne-- i re-upped for the boomerang, joined the doll quilt swap ( 2nd time) and the quilt in the new year swap. It"s not like i have anything else to do since my back limits me to 4hrs. of vertical time. a major annoyance in my life. my dh is cool with it till i need postage money or a new fabric or template. i'm new enough still that i have a minimal stash so it's always a trip to the store for the next project.(oh...., poor poor me! having to go shopping ! LOL) i am losing weight. i am in control. it is all up to me!