Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
weight loss challenge with a prize sign up.....ends March 2 @8am >

weight loss challenge with a prize sign up.....ends March 2 @8am

weight loss challenge with a prize sign up.....ends March 2 @8am

Old 03-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

65 March weight loss participants. Good luck being the biggest loser!!!

Trupeach1: Head Honcho!! Happy Birthday on the 5th.
cjomomma
SWChick: Happpy Birthday on the 23rd.
lauriejo
Missy Girl

Leann
NannySandy
Country1
patc328: Happy Birthday on the 28th.
purplemem

North Star Mama: Happy Birthday on the 9th.
dgrindey: Happy birthday on the 4th.
Gailifer
gmaybee: Happy Birthday on the 15th.
Gwyn

blondeslave
2manyprojects
ljs 317
barbaraJane
quiltincharlotte

harleyquinn2323
Naturalmama
Baba71
remclave
Brandonsnana

krmc 2000
Nana Julie
Wanda_GA: Happy Anniversary on the ?!
Crafty Chick
DonnaB

bonran: Happy Birthday on the 7th.
jeaninmaine
JenGaile
mjmcafee
Katz12303

patimint
nawnee_00
littlesister: Happy Late Birthday on the 2nd.
Gelswood
Chery

Sheria
Rita's mom
Leota
HazelB
judyfry

PS Stitcher
minding my P's and Q's
bluteddi
Baysidegal
DONK

dianewine
KimKanKwilt
Kimscruzer
yolanda
stephanie765

cjinvt: Happy Birthday on the 7th.
quilthappygirl
martyquilter
Susanne10
nannyh7

irishrose: Happy Late Birthday on the 1st.
Patti Sue
GrandmaJeanne
DonnaD
SoozeeDoozee: Happy Birthday on the 3rd. Today!!

All done. If I have missed your name please let me know and if I have missspelled it please forgive me! I hope I didn't miss any other Birthdays for this month.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Rita's mom
Tru, thats a great idea. I have been wondering about useing baby food to flavor oatmeal. I love the banana and it seems like you would have alot less sugar than with the flavored packets. I get the lower sugar ones but they still have alot in them. I wish oatmeal had more protien in it, if I have oatmeal or a healthy cereal for breakfast I am starving and shaky by 10:00, and we all know the rest of that story! :roll:
I add a half scoop of protein powder to my morning oatmeal. It gives me 13 grams. I buy it at Wally world for about $12 - depending on how serious I am, it lasts more than a month. When I eat Raisin Bran, I add the protein powder to a glass of milk, shake it well then pour on my cereal. I drink the extra that I don't use in the bowl.

Just wanted to share.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Banned

Tru, thats a great idea. I have been wondering about useing baby food to flavor oatmeal. :
OMG I write that almost every month. I use rolled oats NOT instant. I think it says quicl cooking in 2 minutes or something like that. I like Bob's Red Mill I buy it on amazon.com or vitacost.com. The night before I put the oatmeal and water (I use to use milk but now save that as a snack) In a bowl and let it set on the counter over night. In the morning I put it in the microwave for 2 minutes then add the baby food along with what ever sipce I want. I like pears with cloves, cinnamon with apple. There is a baby fruit apple and banana it is soooooo good I love it with yogurt.

Here are a few other recipes for oatmeal. I make a 1/2 serving but with the fruit it is the perfect amount of breakfsat or snack calories.

Dutch Apple Oatmeal
1/4 c rolled oats
1/4 c apple jiuce
1/4 c water
1 tbsp raisins
1/4 tsp cinnamon and nutmeg

Put it all in a bowl microwave 2 minutes.

Cranberry Orange Oatmeal
1/4 rolled oats
1/4 orange juice
1/4 water
1 tbsp dried cranberries

Put in a bowl microwave 2 minutes
Old 03-03-2011, 09:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Leann

I add a half scoop of protein powder to my morning oatmeal. It gives me 13 grams.
You could use powdered milk for the extra protein you don't need protein powder. When my DD needed to GAIN weight I was adding 2 servings of drid milk to regular milk in her shakes. Remember protein powder is not free of calories.

I bet if you look at the ingredents it says it is protein from whey. Could you do me a favor and check the lable, I am curious how many calories are in the protein powder per serving? thanks

Depending on the calories it might be just as well to not have the powder and add some other protein source like milk, cheese, yogurt, nuts there are so many. You could even swirl a TBSP of peanut butter in oatmeal.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:49 AM

Missy, I'm glad you are a part of us also. You are an asset to us. You keep the humor going and help keep our chins up. I also think you should be included this month, as you are having to lose the weight on your own. I'm pulling for you to do what the Dr says you need to do, in order to have your surgery. You are loved! Sandy

Lunch time is over. Back to work. later~
Old 03-03-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by trupeach1
Tru, thats a great idea. I have been wondering about useing baby food to flavor oatmeal. :
OMG I write that almost every month. I use rolled oats NOT instant. I think it says quicl cooking in 2 minutes or something like that. I like Bob's Red Mill I buy it on amazon.com or vitacost.com. The night before I put the oatmeal and water (I use to use milk but now save that as a snack) In a bowl and let it set on the counter over night. In the morning I put it in the microwave for 2 minutes then add the baby food along with what ever sipce I want. I like pears with cloves, cinnamon with apple. There is a baby fruit apple and banana it is soooooo good I love it with yogurt.

Here are a few other recipes for oatmeal. I make a 1/2 serving but with the fruit it is the perfect amount of breakfsat or snack calories.

Dutch Apple Oatmeal
1/4 c rolled oats
1/4 c apple jiuce
1/4 c water
1 tbsp raisins
1/4 tsp cinnamon and nutmeg

Put it all in a bowl microwave 2 minutes.

Cranberry Orange Oatmeal
1/4 rolled oats
1/4 orange juice
1/4 water
1 tbsp dried cranberries

Put in a bowl microwave 2 minutes
These sound so goo I will try them tomorrow AM
Old 03-03-2011, 09:54 AM
Banned

I am starving and shaky by 10:00, and we all know the rest of that story! :roll:
You shouldn't be starving by 10. depending on what time you have breakfast you should have a snack by around 10. You should eat little things ever 2-3 hours, you will ne grazing. I can't go any longer then 2 hours or my stomach churns and I get an headache. That is where the baby food comes in. I snack on that. Or saltine crackers. I could have a cup of tea (NO SUGAR) and 4 saltines and I will be fine.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:04 AM

I agree.. MIssy should be included in this month.. (I was picking at "cjomomma" when I made the comment... If u have already had the gastric bypass surg, I can see how that would be an advantage.. but Missy is working TOWARDS having the surg.... so , she should be included in the challange.... IMHO :-)

I like my oatmeal plain.... fruit or something on the side if fine... but I like my foods to taste like the original.... I know, I'm funny that way...

Trupeach... I was hopping for a recipe for Yogart....
Old 03-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I completely agree Missy should be in this month. Missy wouldn't you love to receive all green goodies.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bluteddi

I don think I could do baby food veggies..... fruits would be ok... but I need the crunch in my veggies.
I've never tried making my own yogart.... share a recipe?
I think it is called stage 3 baby food has small pieces of veggies. The carrots are REALLY good even without a crunch they are really sweet.

I have made yogurt for years. It cost $3.49 for 32 oz of store bought plain yogurt. To make it it costs $1. However I have a yogurt maker, I just got a new one the old one lasted 8 years. The company I just got is Coolatron at Walmart.com they don't sell it in the store. However amazon.com has to to. It cost around $20. It comes with 7 GLASS containers. Most of the other have plastic I don't want to eat anything from heated up plastic. I fill the jars 3/4 full so when it is done there is room to put my fruit. Making yogurt with a yogurt maker is easy peasy just heat the milk add a fw tbsps of plain yogurt and let it set for about 6 hours. The first batch you need to start with store bought plain yogurt. READ LABLES it can not have pectin or gelatin in it or it won't make yogurt. Also at the begging you have to play around with the milk you use. Some brand will not make yogurt. I use powdered milk and SACO makes great yogurt. As for reg in the fridg at the store Kroger works Meijers brand doesn't. The directions in the yogurt make say use store bought yogurt for a new batch not homemade. Each batch of yogurt I make I use yogurt form the batch before which I have been doing for about a year. The only thing is each batch of yogurt gets more tart. I finally broke down and got more store yogurt this week to start alll over again. I make yocheese, it is just plain yogurt drained through a coffee filter and I replace 1/2 of mayo or sour cream call for in a recipe. Even cream cheese. the yocheese takes on the flabvor of whatever you mix it with. The liquid that is drained in protein called whey I use that to make bread or in soup or smoothies. I don't waste anything. If you don't want to invest in a yogurt maker, even though I think it is a great investment I know you can google how to make homemade yogurt and it could be done with a heating pad and a cooler. I have never tired it so I don't really know the out come myself but a fiend has and she says it comes out thin. Also the longer you let it set the thicker in will get in a yogurt maker. Aslo If you use whole milk as oppose to no fat the whole milk make thicker yogurt too however it also has more calories...............and added bonus.........coat your face with plain yogurt and let it set for 20 minutes then rince off. Then take a few drops of olive oil in the palm of your hand and add warm water. Rub the oil/water into your skin and let air dry. Within about a week you will notice a BIG difference. I have vey few wrinkles for my age. There is a pic of me somewhere on the forum you can see for yourself. Yogurt is a lactic acid which is a alpha hydroxy acid which is what they use in facial peels. It deminishes wrinkles.