Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How many of you actually have sewing studio/room >

How many of you actually have sewing studio/room

How many of you actually have sewing studio/room

Old 02-10-2011, 04:39 PM

I am lucky to have my own studio which is my favorite place in my house! I wish it were a little bigger (it is 12 x 16) but even if I had more room, I would fill it up anyway!!! I have a full double closet with a huge stash (SCARRRRRY!), a large cutting table with two fold-down ends - on wheels. My husband made it for me but it is exactly the same as ones you buy room for 3 Olfa mats when both ends are up so I can sandwich a pretty big quilt. I have 2 side by side floor to ceiling (almost) bookcases full of my books (now 301! as per my database! as well as a huge collection of magazines.My computer desk is at one end with the sewing cabinet for my Berninas on the other side. Great natural lighting as well as track lighting over my cutting table. My design wall is about 5 x 7, also made by my husband and framed as well!! He also made me a fabulous lightbox out of a bureau drawer, halo light bulb w/ plexiglass top and a drawer handle to carry it. It is very bright! My room is like a "girly" museum with loads of photos, collections, and many Cicely Mary Barker fairies hanging from the ceiling above my head. Everybody comes in and just stares!!! ;>) It is thoroughly my sanctuary, but would love 2 more feet in each direction especially when my large ironing board is up and both extensions of my table! Thank God I am very organized with all my STUFF or it could be a disaster. But I am a neatnik!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by lallyann
I wish I could say I do...but I don't... I have dreams of a Craft Barn...someday. A whole barn/building just for yummy fun craftiness...
A girl can always dream!
~lallyann

Have you been spying on my dreams or maybe we all have the same dream...

I wish I had my own room...what I have is a folding table in a room with fax machine, bird cage and a closet. At least I got dibs on the 36" window and good sewing light...

Andie :roll:
Old 02-10-2011, 04:54 PM

I have an entire upstairs. We have 5 bedrooms and our kids are grown. Our bedroom is downstairs so the entire upstairs is all mine. YIPEE
Old 02-10-2011, 04:57 PM

After 4 of my 5 children moved out, I "confiscated" one of their bedrooms, the largest (2 boys shared a room; yep, it's mine now!) I moved out their furniture, for storage - bought some lawyer bookcases at a garage sale and moved out of the closest where I'd sewn for 15 yrs. The rest is history.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:00 PM

I am so fortunate. We have two homes. One in LaGrange, Illinois and one in Grantsburg, WI. Our family is in Illinois so we hesitate to give up that residence, which we have had for almost 44 years. Our home in WI is on my DH's grandfather's original land from 1911. I have the attic in our home in Illinois and I love it. I call it the "Crow's Nest". In WI I have a room in the lower level, which looks out on the woods. I am so fortunate.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Annaquilts
I do. We used to live in a mobile home and I would sew on the dinning room/kitchen table. (same table lol) Several years ago we build our own house and DH designated the sapce above the garage as a studio for me. It is very big
and I love it. I do have lots of visitors that also craft in there both my children and friends. there is also a tv and I have an adult son that uses it as his study room but i do not mind because I love the company. that is one thing from going to sitting smack in the center of the mobile home in the middle of 10 plus kids and then suddenly sitting in a giantic space by yourself. I am actually thinking about setting up a sewing area in my living room/kitchen area down stairs for when no one else is in the studio.

Wow! how great to have a place to cut, sew and store all your things. I cut on a 36" Sq dining table and my sewing table is a 4' folding table. :roll:
Old 02-10-2011, 05:11 PM

Wish I had a spare bedroom to use as a sewing room (it's in my dreams) - my sewing stuff is in a small part of a small ugly basement. The house is about 80 years old and only two bedroom unfortunately. I'd feel very fortunate to have an actual spare room to use upstairs.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:22 PM

I have a bedroom. It's not really very big - 11 X 12 but it has everything I need. Of course, if it was better organized it would feel bigger. But I feel blessed to have it. We have 4 bedrooms - 1 is guest, 1 is master, our sons' rooms are now my sewing room and my husband's "man-room". works out well. We would like to downsize but I'm thinking that may be impossible!
Old 02-10-2011, 05:25 PM

ME:))
Old 02-10-2011, 05:29 PM

I do it was an bedroom but when my children grew and got married that bedroom became a sewing room and the other bedroomis a laundry room/office.And the other bedroom is a guest room where they sleep when they visit. I have a 4 bedroom home. :D :thumbup: