Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
Spring churn dash 12.5 block swap >

Spring churn dash 12.5 block swap

Spring churn dash 12.5 block swap

Old 11-11-2017, 05:44 PM

Pretty blocks Maxie. I like your fabrics.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Armylady2012 View Post
Ladies this is some blocks I worked on yesterday and today, hope you all like them, I am finding out what you all are saying about the points I think some of mine is not going to work but I have already got them started so I will finish them and then I am going to test the other pattern that I had posted to see if it will work for me better. Take a look at these.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]583709[/ATTACH]
Your fabrics are great!!
Only change I can think of for the pattern, to help the points.. I use a different method for the HST, make them a bit too big and cut them down to proper size. I make 2 at a time..
And as someone mentioned, these are basically a 9 patch, so as long as every "patch" is 4.5 square prior to sewing together, it should be good.
hmm.. and someone mentioned the scant 1/4 inch seam.. I also have to move my needle to make it come with correct size after sewing.
It was in swaps like this that I learned a lot bout different techniques.. I think I learn or relearn something every time I do a swap.
It may not be the pattern, just all the little stuff one learns as ya go along..
The blocks are all looking great . I even like the pastel ones!
Old 11-11-2017, 07:47 PM

Bluelady is right. I always make my HST a little bigger and cut them down. The pattern calls for 4-7/8" so I make mine 5" or even 5-1/4". That way when I cut them down I know they will be exactly 4-1/2". I measure every "patch" to make sure they all measure correctly before I sew them together. They always turn out right with good points. I made 1 block of each set to see what they look like. I will post pictures in the morning.
Old 11-11-2017, 07:58 PM

Great blocks Judith, Armylady and givio loving them
Armylady, doing it with Publisher on Word, not hard just takes a bit of time and keeping them all straight lol, think I put Nessies in there twice
Maybe it was a case of easier to ask for forgiveness then permission? But Sorry I didn't ask first, Hope no one minded. I got really excited seeing them all together. I realize I might not get some of them But was lovely seeing them together.
Old 11-11-2017, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by marietta View Post
Great blocks Judith, Armylady and givio loving them
Armylady, doing it with Publisher on Word, not hard just takes a bit of time and keeping them all straight lol, think I put Nessies in there twice
Maybe it was a case of easier to ask for forgiveness then permission? But Sorry I didn't ask first, Hope no one minded. I got really excited seeing them all together. I realize I might not get some of them But was lovely seeing them together.
Marietta.. It was really cool to see them altogether like that! .. LOL.. I don't think you need to ask anyone for
forgiveness.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:08 AM

Here's what I've been working on. Sorry not the best pics, But me and my "smart fone" don't always get along :-)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]583750[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails picture1.png  
Old 11-12-2017, 04:06 AM

You can take me off the allergy list, it is OK I have been swapping for 7 years on this board. . I can wash them from smoke, cats, and any other house hold odors, like perfume and bacon LOL. The fabrics are cotton natural fibers, they air out, I have allergy meds. for my asthma, bronchitis,, and allergies. At the LQS they have a cat in the quilt shop, and I know some shoppers and employees smoke. I just use Febreeze and Lysol immediately. I do not want to miss out on one of these blocks over a cigarette or a kitty.

Last edited by cuppy; 11-12-2017 at 04:08 AM. Reason: add on to message
Old 11-12-2017, 07:09 AM

I just wanted to make a small comment about the way the blocks could be switched out by the point of view from the
" Hosts" side. In order to trade out blocks with only non-smokers, non-allergens, you may not get a very well rounded selection.

Example, say I had no allergens in my household. And there were only 2 other people who are sending in blocks with NO allergens......Well, I can tell you, I made my blocks with each set having the same fabric. (easier for me to keep straight) Well say #2 of the other non-allergen households did the same. And the third one having made a lovely scrappy variety. You could very well get several of the same blocks from me and the other person with a few variety from the 3 person. Your are limiting the Hosts hands. Just a thought....... NO offense is meant to anyone!

I have also heard that if you mix up a spray bottle with white vinegar and water and spray your blocks and hang them outside to dry, they will smell clean and fresh.

For the record, I am a non-smoker living in a smoking household. I do keep my fabrics in an enclosed (from the house) sunroom. But, there are no guarantees. I'm sure that smoke could probably come in from an open door. I have little fury "beasties" of the dog variety that do frequent my sewing room. What can I say, they love to be with there human. No, they are not partial to playing with the fabric. Although, when I'm laying out my "design" floor, there are no holds barred and they do tend to love rolling in the middle. (Although, this does not include swap blocks. I use my design wall for them.) So, I'm in the camp of I will take what I receive and will love what is sent to me. For me, it is the company of fellow quilters that make me smile.

Armylady, Are you accepting early mailers. I am almost finished with my blocks. I know I have a long time to wait. But, I am going to make this a big quilt. So, will be working on lots of blocks to finish off this quilt.

Thanks for hosting.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:12 AM

Marietta, great blocks. I love the colors.

I do hope I will not disappoint, I went with pastels.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:29 AM

Judith how could you and/or pastels disappoint?
I'm looking forward to my blocks being all different colors light, dark, anything.
I have some Beautiful blocks from a Boom the ladies did for me and thinking about mixing those with these.
I know it will turn out Awesome