Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > QuiltingBoard Challenges & Contests
Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie >

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Bonnie Hunter Winter Mystery 2022-2023: Chilhowie

Old 12-03-2022, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by JeanieG View Post
Read in the paper this morning that the Flu was really going around right now. It is early this year!

Love my Instant Pot! Use it all the time! Hope you get to feeling better quickly!
Thank you! Feeling a bit better. New Instapot owner but love it so far.
Old 12-03-2022, 03:28 PM

First of month, first chance to visit bank. Then shopping. Then birthday celebration.. Today slept way too long. After dinner, joy, get to spend time sewing.
Old 12-03-2022, 04:13 PM

My clue 2 is cut!
Old 12-04-2022, 08:03 AM

Teen - I hope you feel better soon.
I'm not doing well with these units. I keep losing the top 1/4" so will have quite a few blunt points, but am not going to stress over it since Bonnie's quilts are so busy a few lost points won't matter. The ones on the left are made with the folded corner clipper ruler and the ones on the right by drawing a line. I think I'm more comfortable with drawing the line. I also keep wanting to sew the second square sideways onto the blue. But I'll do a dozen each day until finished so I don't drive myself crazy.
Attached Thumbnails bh-clue-2.jpg  
Old 12-04-2022, 08:28 AM

Belfrybat, that red is stunning with the blue!

Do you know why you are sometimes losing the points?
Old 12-04-2022, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom View Post
Belfrybat, that red is stunning with the blue!

Do you know why you are sometimes losing the points?
Thank you. I'm really not sure but I've had problems with the traditional method of flying geese as well (which is why I use the 4 at a time method). In this case I think the bulk of the center seam is causing difficulty. I have plenty of most of the red so may re-cut some of the squares 1/8" larger to see if that might help.
Old 12-04-2022, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
Thank you. I'm really not sure but I've had problems with the traditional method of flying geese as well (which is why I use the 4 at a time method). In this case I think the bulk of the center seam is causing difficulty. I have plenty of most of the red so may re-cut some of the squares 1/8" larger to see if that might help.
Sorry you are having troubles. I admit that this method is always difficult for me as well. I am planning to use my Accuquilt (even though it means I need new dies). My pressing plan will be different than Bonnie suggests, but I think I can live with that.
Old 12-04-2022, 10:36 AM

Belfrybat - Thank you! Still foggy headed and congested but fever is gone and slept better last night. I appreciate the well wishes.. Think I’m on the downhill side of this…. I love your colorway. The blues selected are really pretty. Red is perfect contrast and will be stunning. I’m sorry this aren’t coming out like you want. A couple of suggestions…To make sure you don’t lose that 1/4” at top, double check your finishing measurement after you sew your strips together.(Bonnie gives you the details of this) If it is too big, your squares won’t overlap top of unit creating the 1/4” seam allowance. If you have cut all the pieces according to clue, not sure why this would happen. The other thing, Bonnie says to sew on the right side of line on squares when sewing the corners on…maybe you sewed too far to the right? Personally, I sew on the line and mine came out ok…but that’s just me.

I finished half of clue 2 last night. Today, will be working on the other half… Have a great day!

Last edited by Teen; 12-04-2022 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-04-2022, 12:46 PM
Power Poster

Love your colors, Belfry!
Old 12-04-2022, 01:09 PM

Finished clue 2 while binge watching Yellowstone…

Attached Thumbnails c7ff37d3-c098-4f96-92f0-0b6fae2abcad.jpeg