Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
How many members have fibromyalgia? >

How many members have fibromyalgia?

How many members have fibromyalgia?

Old 08-02-2010, 08:24 AM

Dawn,
I am sorry to hear about your "double whammy", having both fibro and lupus must really be hard. I have a sister with lupus and I suspect my youngest daughter also has it. My older DD is disabled from fibro and now she has a lung disease that is compounding her problems.
You are so right about rest...we have to be careful not to overdo it or pay the consequences.
I have been doing better since I started taking cymbalta.I haven't had a full blown flare in a while. I have a certain amount of achiness every day, but haven't been in the "fog" for a while. The fog was the main reason I gave up my nursing careear. I was so afraid I would make an error that would hurt one of my patients.
I seem to do better in warm weather, so summertime is usually better. :-D
Old 08-02-2010, 08:37 AM

I don't have Fibromyalgia, but I just took part in a Clinical Trial- pain perception vs. exercise relating to Fibromyalgia; it was very interesting, and I hope the data collected speeds up some thing to help manage it, if not cure it for you all.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:20 AM

I have fibro and arthritis in many joints , along with going though meno as well. I try not to over due, have fibro fog badly at times. Scary to drive or go out when that is going on. I know exactly what you mean when you say on your bad days you feel like one big toothache. Take Care.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:23 AM

Yes my fog got so bad that I asked to be tested by a psychologist to see what my IQ was, and if it were normal. I just felt so stupid all of the time. The more frustrated I got with the fog, the worse it got. It also played into why I had to leave my job. They kept putting more and more pressure on me, and I was already struggling physically and mentally to keep up I do not wish bad on anyone, but I do wish that sometimes these people who push so much at us could experience a little bit of what we go through everyday before they make judgements. I graduated in the top 12 of my high school class, and at the very top percent of my college graduationg class. yet I was made ot feel very, very stupid. There were also some implications that I was being lazy and/or disorganized. I hope to never have that happen again.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by tdgiffin
Yes my fog got so bad that I asked to be tested by a psychologist to see what my IQ was, and if it were normal. I just felt so stupid all of the time. The more frustrated I got with the fog, the worse it got. It also played into why I had to leave my job. They kept putting more and more pressure on me, and I was already struggling physically and mentally to keep up I do not wish bad on anyone, but I do wish that sometimes these people who push so much at us could experience a little bit of what we go through everyday before they make judgements. I graduated in the top 12 of my high school class, and at the very top percent of my college graduationg class. yet I was made ot feel very, very stupid. There were also some implications that I was being lazy and/or disorganized. I hope to never have that happen again.
You're lucky (if that's the right word) that you could stop working. I have Lupus and Sjogrens (and they are undecided about Fibro) with all the symptoms described here. But I'm not old enough to retire, they won't put me on disability. But I know exactly how they made you feel. I'm in the same boat.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:31 AM
cjr

About a year after I was diagnosed with CFS_fibro, I started taking mega doses of grape seed extract. After six weeks, one morning i actually woke up before the alarm went off. What a shock. Not a cure but worth a try. Also maintaining a positive attitude is my salvation. And yes I still have bad days.
Old 08-02-2010, 11:53 AM

I was diagnosed with Ankylosing Spondylitis right after my first son was born 23 years ago.
Have dealt with the daily severe pain because the arthritis meds didn't help and gave me an ulcer!
went to the Dr 2 years ago for severe pain in my shoulder and arm thought I had a pinched nerve or tendenitis. He gave me cortizone shots which helped but sent my to the rheumotologist as he thought I had Fibro.
well sure enough that was her diagnosis she said I could be the poster child!
she started me on effexor and muscle relaxants along with exercise.
worked wonders felt like a new woman! until we lost our insurance! can't afford the meds they run over $500/month!
Old 08-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Power Poster

Hi all! Thanks Ditter for asking! I too have FMS, with the pain and fog being daily, just in various doses. I don't do well with temp. changes. About 70 degrees is great for me! I don't handle cold, as it feels like it "goes to the bone" and I stay cold for long periods. I have been tested for RA, and told I would never have it. Praise God!
But I thought I's share some things that have helped me to cope with FM. I avoid caffeine, and "fake" sugars. I limit my sugar too. I take a good multi-vitamin, probiotics, and omegas. Malic acid and magnesium are a must take!!! Glucosamine and chondroitin are good also. I eat yogurt, and try to keep "good flora" in my gut. Grape seed extract and CoQ10 may be good also. You will have to try for yourself, but give the various vitamins, etc. some time for you to see a difference. Don't make a quick decision that they don't work.
Guard your sleep!! I need to take 2 prescriptions to help me with sleep, but it is working for now. I also take hydrocodone for the pain, and soma for a muscle relaxer. These work for me. I will not use the Lyrica or Cymbalta as the side effects are just what I am trying to get rid of!! I have a hot tub, and love it! Swimming too. For muscle aches, you could use a rice pack of some kind to help with shoulder/neck aches, etc. I try not to over-do, so I won't hurt as bad. Chemical sensitivities can be an issue too.
All in all, I try my best to keep a positive attitude. I can always think of something to be thankful for! I also sponsor a child through Compassion Int'l, as well as correspond with 2 other kids. I love it! It helps me to keep it simple, and also be creative. (since we can only send them paper items)
Quilting is my therapy. I love giving to others, especially hand-made items. I am learning to also do a few more projects for ME.
I am blessed to be married to a wonderful man, even though he doesn't truly understand the FM-but working on that!
May God bless each one of you! You are in my prayers~
Old 08-02-2010, 01:31 PM

I am on total Social Security Disabiliy due to fibro. It took me two years and an attorney, but I finally won. Of courst it isn't the same as a paycheck, but it is better than nothing...
Old 08-02-2010, 02:11 PM

I am not old enough to retire either - 44 years old. that is one of the reasons it is hard for me to admit that I can't do it anymore. If you are doing everything you can to keep up, and you just can't, maybe talk to your doctor about other options.