Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Does anyone try to make Vera Bradley  bags? >

Does anyone try to make Vera Bradley bags?

Does anyone try to make Vera Bradley bags?

Old 07-24-2012, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by qbquilts View Post
My mom makes the Brand X/Very Badly bags. Best Friends Quilts designed the patterns. You can get them at http://www.bestfriendsquilts.com
qbquilts, Best Friends is closed.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:06 AM

I also love Vera Bradley bags....have bought and sold several on ebay, at very discounted prices. I think their major attraction is her fabrics and combinations, more so than the basic design. Does anyone know if you can buy her fabrics any where.....
Old 07-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Power Poster

I think the 'batting' in her fabrics is some sort of foam - I don't know where home sewers can acquire similar fabric.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
I think the 'batting' in her fabrics is some sort of foam - I don't know where home sewers can acquire similar fabric.
Foam is a good idea, will make them 'stand up' and not be limpy for sure. i wonder what the 1" foam from Joanns would quilt down to......thats a thought
Old 07-24-2012, 11:08 AM

I just bought some patterns, not exactly like Vera Bradley (love her bags and own a few myself), but am going to give it a go. I will post some pics when they are finished. Have to get my new sewing machine first. LOL.
Old 07-24-2012, 11:23 AM

I own two VB bags. One is a tote bag and the other is her weekender bag with matching makeup case. I love them but I won't buy anymore because I just love fabric and would want too many of them. I see beautiful pre quilted fabrics at Joanns that are reversible and would make pretty faux VB bags if you didn't want to do all the quilting. I think there are a lot of bag patterns available so you shouldn't have any trouble making a beautiful bag.
Old 07-24-2012, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees View Post
Foam is a good idea, will make them 'stand up' and not be limpy for sure. i wonder what the 1" foam from Joanns would quilt down to......thats a thought
You can buy "Soft and Stable", which is a foam with fabric on both sides, to make your bags stand up. It is also lighter than the usual fusible fleece that is used in bags.
I have been requested to make "VB-like" bags and have been able to look online at their catalog for the dimensions and then design my own bag. Everyone has been happy.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Banned

http://robinquiltsetc.com/index.html This is a link to Robin Quilts Etc. Click on "STORE" then "BAGS AND TOTES". The last pattern shown is called "The Purse." I've made three of these and they were quick and easy. Right after I made the first one, someone asked me if it was a Vera Bradley.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Late Bloomer View Post
I love the Vera Bradley bags,but not the high prices.l Has any one been able to make a similar bag in style and if so, do y ou have a pattern. Would love to make a few for myself but cannot find a pattern. Any help would be appreciarted.
I don't duplicate the VB bags but make similar back pack bags. I'm in a wheelchair, so a bag with double handles works quite well for me. It wouldn't take too much work to mimic a VB if you used a couple different fabrics.
Old 07-24-2012, 05:52 PM

My aunt makes a tote and she calls it her "Very Badley" LOL. She made mine out of flamingo fabric and I got a TON of compliments. I'll ask her what pattern she uses.