Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what started your quilting obsession >

what started your quilting obsession

what started your quilting obsession

Old 05-09-2011, 11:35 AM
Power Poster

I helped my grandmother as a child. When she was no longerable to quilt, I did none for most of my youngef adulthood. approx 8-9 years ago my sister and I decided to take a class together and here I am.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:13 AM

My husband started it all!!! Years ago we did not have trash pick up, so had to haul trash to a landfill. Well he found an old quilt in the trash and brought it home, wanted me to wash it so he could use it to cover a project he was working on in the shop.
Well it was dirty, but figured I could always bleach out the machine after it was washed--grin. So washed it, Uh OH! it was beautiful when washed. the binding was pretty tattered, but other than that it was OK. SO he did not get it back. I began looking for the name of the pattern and that started it all. So he cannot complain about my "habit" as he was the one who started the whole thing.
Oh yes it was called Sawtooth. Found one like it in a museum in Kansas.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:51 AM

...made a few baby quilts while pregnant with 2nd kiddo....(he's now 31, lol) and stopped...then went on a business trip and saw a quilt show in the Colorado Springs airport terminal. That started it for sure....!
Old 05-10-2011, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by dd
It's a family tradition. Grandmothers, mother, sister, everyones sews. Made a "quilt" for my daughter when she was born in 1984 and another for my son in 1988. The first one I counted cross stitched baby animals and used them every other block. Then tied ribbons into bows and sewed them onto the corners to quilt it. My sons was a pre-printed panel of a circus and I just quilted around the designs. Didn't learn to quilt until about 1990. Took a class at the high school. She taught hand piecing and quilting. I have since taught that same thing to Girl Scout leaders in this area.
Me too.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:13 AM

My now-ex-husband brought me a quilting magazine from the gas station when he went out for cigarettes late one night. I loved what I saw and since I'd just been given an old Singer (use it every day still!) I made some blocks...not great, and the colors reflect the fabrics that were on sale at Zayre's when we went, but I had fun! I still haven't made them into a wall quilt (4 12" blocks and 4 6" blocks) but maybe someday!
Old 05-10-2011, 04:24 AM

I got the bug when i Made my first quilt for my sister and took it as an open class project to our local county fair. I was 21. It was blocks painted and flannel, with a blanket in the middle. I tied it and received an "atta girl, but no ribbon" from the judges. I am 55 now, and don't know how many quilts I have made but I only have 2 in my possession right now, the rest went to good homes. My mother never sewed, unless it was to patch overalls for my farming father so I didn't get any help in that direction. LOL
Old 05-10-2011, 04:33 AM

We moved recently and I ran across a quilt my Mom and Grandma had made before I was born. I had forgot about it and had not seen it in years.soooooooo I began,I said I can do this.It is not as easy as I thought.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:50 AM

I will blame this one on my Mom. She taught all of us to sew, although for me, I was a late bloomer. My sisters never did take to it. So I will probably inherit all her sewing stuff, especially a featherwight.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:51 AM

When my mother hired a hairdresser from out of town, they usually stayed with us til they got settled. One gal came when I was 10 and stayed a year and brought her sewing machine. That was my intro. She got me signed up for classes at Singer downtown - I rode the bus and thought I was grown up, dontchaknow? lol. I sewed all my life, but when I got my embroidery machine I needed to learn to put these blocks to good use, so I took a beginning quilters class. That was it. That is still my advise to newbie machine embroiderers. Take a beginners quilting class. I didn't know how to square up properly or use the tools. Of course, I'm so over the top now. I have thousands of dollars tied up in machines and fabrics, but I wouldn't trade it for a million bucks. Love the process and the joy it brings.
Judi
Below is my latest. a silk tie quilt made of ties from my friends father. He wanted this made so bad so I did it for him.

Originally Posted by christina d
I was wondering how people became addicted to quilting.Myself I was having a child and decided to make a quilt it was simple a panel .My family went out one day and we went to studio where a woman was making a huge wonderful quilt and I said to my dad thats a quilt like I was making (meaning putting the layers together)he then told me that mine was not like this this was artwork he didnt mean it bad but it inspired me to prove to him I can also do this.He loves every quilt I make and I have been quilting for 22 years
silk tie quilt
[ATTACH=CONFIG]195281[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-195275.jpe  
Old 05-10-2011, 04:51 AM

When my mother hired a hairdresser from out of town, they usually stayed with us til they got settled. One gal came when I was 10 and stayed a year and brought her sewing machine. That was my intro. She got me signed up for classes at Singer downown - I rode the bus and thought I was grown up, dontchaknow? lol. I sewed all my life, but when I got my embroidery machine I needed to learn to put these blocks to good use, so I took a beginning quilters class. That was it. That is still my advise to newbie machine embroiderers. Take a beginners quilting class. I didn't know how to square up properly or use the tools. Of course, I'm so over the top now. I have thousands of dollars tied up in machines and fabrics, but I wouldn't trade it for a million bucks. Love the process and the joy it brings.
Judi
Below is my latest. a silk tie quilt made of ties from my friends father. He wanted this made so bad so I did it for him.

Originally Posted by christina d
I was wondering how people became addicted to quilting.Myself I was having a child and decided to make a quilt it was simple a panel .My family went out one day and we went to studio where a woman was making a huge wonderful quilt and I said to my dad thats a quilt like I was making (meaning putting the layers together)he then told me that mine was not like this this was artwork he didnt mean it bad but it inspired me to prove to him I can also do this.He loves every quilt I make and I have been quilting for 22 years