Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what started your quilting obsession >

what started your quilting obsession

what started your quilting obsession

Old 05-10-2011, 05:16 AM

I think I was born with a quilt obsession. I grew up with quilters and loved to pretend to quilt when I was in elementary school. I quilted on the quilts they were quilting with a thread that had no knot in it. Eventually they let me knot my thread and I've been quilting ever since. I helped my mother and grandmother design quilts when I was growing up and made my first real quilt when I was 18.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:56 AM

I started sewing when I was 6 years old and my sister and I would sew from the scraps that my Mom gave us to make doll clothes and doll quilts. I had to sew my own clothes for school when I was in my teens. My first quilt was a baby quilt for my niece and that is when I got into quilting and stuck with it.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:47 AM

I started quilting in the early 80's...being a military family I saw a friend hand quilting squares for quilts and thought that looked fun so i bought a packet of pre cut squares and that is how i started it also whiled away the time when DH was out to sea for months at a time and the girls were todlers made the evenings go by more quickly specially not much money those days to do anything else...
:D
Old 05-10-2011, 06:58 AM

I started when my eldest daughter was ill with an eating disorder and I desperately needed some time out - saw a beginners class being held once a week and that was it - totally hooked - my daughter is recovered and enjoys my quilts!!!
Old 05-10-2011, 07:56 AM

A good friend of mine made lovely quilts and took me to a quilt show, I bought a book for a .25 and fell in love with one of the small quilts. That was my first, and I've been off and running ever since. Bought two machines and a featherweight since I've been on this board, I'll have to say this board keeps taking me farther than I ever dreamed.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:26 AM

I was sitting in my sewing room one day and noticed all the material I had.I ask the Lord what I could do to help and the idea of making quilts for the homeless came into my mind I just sew the fabric together and then tie it.Sometimes I also use a top for the back.I try to use material that has a little weight with it so I dont have to use a batting as the people wil be moving around.I take them to the police and they pass them around.So many people have given me material for this project I have it boxed up and out in the shed.I am so grateful for this.Sure makes me feel good.I have just recently tried my hand at applique and regular quilting.I am so new at this I hardly ever know what people are talking about on here
Old 05-10-2011, 10:32 AM

I started because I wanted to make a little girl quilt for my niece to cuddle with for her 4th birthday. It has totally become my passion.
Originally Posted by christina d
I was wondering how people became addicted to quilting.Myself I was having a child and decided to make a quilt it was simple a panel .My family went out one day and we went to studio where a woman was making a huge wonderful quilt and I said to my dad thats a quilt like I was making (meaning putting the layers together)he then told me that mine was not like this this was artwork he didnt mean it bad but it inspired me to prove to him I can also do this.He loves every quilt I make and I have been quilting for 22 years
Old 05-10-2011, 10:39 AM

8 generations on dad's side and 7 generations on mom's. I'm the only one of my generation though.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:40 AM

I had a great aunt who passed away when I was about 13. I can remember the family gathering to clean out her place when she passed away. They came across a pile of quilts she and my grandmother had made and I thought they were the most marvelous things that I had ever seen. My mother didn't sew and we didn't grow up around this aunt so I knew nothing about quilting. I can remember mother being encouraged to take some of them as keepsakes and making the remark "If I can't throw it in the washer and dryer I don't want it." Needless to say no one asked me if I would like to have some of them or they would still be with me.
When I became pregnant with my first child I was determined to make a baby quilt for my baby. It was a simple scrappy quilt in pastel neutral baby colors that I hand tied together. I didn't have any idea how to make a quilt but did it anyway. That was almost 40 years ago. I have been teaching myself since and enjoy the journey every day.
Ann in TN
Old 05-10-2011, 10:57 AM

My grandmother quilted but my mother was just too busy raising 8 children. I am the last of 8 and my mother-in-law quilted and got me started. I have been quilting ever since. I am self taught really. My mother in law just did applique quilting. She is gone now and I have one of her quilts, dresen plate and love it.