Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
what started your quilting obsession >

what started your quilting obsession

what started your quilting obsession

Old 05-10-2011, 05:50 PM

I have been sewing since the 10th grade (1973), (home ec). My DBF asked me if i would be interested in learning to quilt with her about 8 years ago & since then I've been hooked.
Old 05-10-2011, 05:53 PM

Because I can't weld worth a damn. :-)
Old 05-10-2011, 06:03 PM
dd

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
Because I can't weld worth a damn. :-)
Oh, lol, I love it!!! rotfl

Too funny! Why can't I think of answers like that when I'm supposed to?
Old 05-10-2011, 06:17 PM

Quilting specifically, only a year this july. But I've never been a stranger to a sewing machine or plain old needle n thread. My mom and mil got me started quilting. Mom has a quilt that has sat half quilted for 3 years and it drives me nuts! It;s so beautiful but can't be used since its still in progress *not that any has been made in awhile. So I started hoping to encourage her but it didn't work lol. So now I go with my mil Sunday afternoons and her bff and us quilt for about 5 hrs. I am addicted beyond repair and I love it!
Old 05-10-2011, 07:41 PM

I made doll quilts as a kid. Made my first real quilt when I was pg with my DD#1. Made quilts for all my kids when they were teens too. But my passion came along after my heart attack about 15 years ago. Couldn't do anything much for a long time so started quilting for the Linus Project. Filled 4 boxes before I got back on my feet. Have ate, slept & drunk quilts ever since. I know if they opened up my brain they would find nothing but quilt blocks & patterns & lots of scraps. LOL
Old 05-10-2011, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by emerald46
I've been seriously sewing and crafting since I was 12 years old. Fabric is an obsession, so quilting just became part of the process. Made my first doll quilt at age 7; first real quilt at 30. I will proudly be 65 tomorrow!
Happy Birthday!!!! :lol: :lol:
Old 05-10-2011, 08:30 PM

Happy Birthday to you and many more.
Originally Posted by emerald46
I've been seriously sewing and crafting since I was 12 years old. Fabric is an obsession, so quilting just became part of the process. Made my first doll quilt at age 7; first real quilt at 30. I will proudly be 65 tomorrow!
Old 05-11-2011, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by hobbykat1955
It started out with wanting a good embroidery machine...Bought the Husqvarna SE which is a combo emb/sewing and after a yr of doing embroidery and turning them into lap and baby quilts...the obsession began starting in 2007
Sounds like me! I started to sew again using my old Singer Stylist from 1972 and it was giving me fits so I went shopping for a new machine. (I had not sewn for 15-20 years) and boy was I enlightened! I was shocked and delighted to see that the new machines could also embroider AND they were computerized!! I was also shocked at the prices of sewing machines! I ended up w/a Janome 9700 and just love it! Bought it in 2006.

I live "rural' and there is not much to do on a Sunday so I went to my local quilt shop (on a Saturday) and took a few lessons on quilting. It opened up a whole new world for me. I am embarrassed to say that I did not know that people "quilted"...I used to live in a metro area and yes, there are quilt shops there but I was not aware of them at the time. Just the Joannes and Hancocks and sewing machine dealers but a quilt shop???? Interesting.....sad isn't it? I have missed years of quilting but I am making up for lost time now! Love the friendships that are the best perks of quilting.
sandy
Old 05-11-2011, 05:01 AM

TonieLoree...thanks for my first great laugh of the day!!
Old 05-11-2011, 05:08 AM

I think my obsession started when I was stuck in the back seat of a car, as a little girl, on a 4 hour weekly drive to my parents lake house. Those were the days before television was available in the car. I didn't know what I was doing, no one taught me, but I kept sewing square after square by hand. I don't know what happened to it, (I think I remember holes in it from bad stitches) but that is my first memory of quilting. Another memory of sewing was as a young 20 year old flight attendant, my flying partner and I dragged a sewing machine to layovers, would get connecting rooms and worked on a quilt together then! We were just talking about that, and thinking we probably couldn't get the sewing machine so easily through security again. Too busy bagging up our 3 ounce liquids and teeny tiny scissors.