Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
When to buy thread? >

When to buy thread?

When to buy thread?

Old 05-18-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Holice
did you ask the teacher why she says to toss the thread? If I were you I would ask the next time I saw her or the shop owner.
In my 30+ yrs of quilting I have never heard this.
I was not in the class. I was in the store and overheard what the instructor said. Buying new thread for each project didn't make sense to me, but I thought "Hey, she's an instructor so she must know what she's talking about."

I'm happy to know I'm not the only person who uses thread that's several years old.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by ScrappyAZ
Originally Posted by Holice
did you ask the teacher why she says to toss the thread? If I were you I would ask the next time I saw her or the shop owner.
In my 30+ yrs of quilting I have never heard this.
I was not in the class. I was in the store and overheard what the instructor said. Buying new thread for each project didn't make sense to me, but I thought "Hey, she's an instructor so she must know what she's talking about."

I'm happy to know I'm not the only person who uses thread that's several years old.
You're not alone by far.

The stretch to break test is the best. If it breaks easy, toss it, otherwise use it.

I'm curious why the teacher said that. Maybe she had a reason other than helping the quilt shop out with sales.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:06 AM

I was in a sewing machine store having foot pedal rewired, glanced at his display of thread, and asked him how long thread was good.

He said a year. I just looked at him. He elaborated and said he even had ladies who put their thread in a ziplock bag with a damp cotton ball & stored it in the freezer.

The hair on the back of my neck rose.

Freezing would totally stress the thread. If fibers only lasted a year, there would be no 100 year old quilts or fabric around, and most of us would be naked, scrambling to find new clothes all the time if this were true.

I decided then & there I would never go in that store again.

sheesh.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:07 AM
Power Poster

LOL, I have some really old stuff that works great!
Old 05-18-2011, 07:39 AM

I have heard of this .. an yes thread does age but it takes quite a bit of time , but the break test will tell you if its not suitable .
I agree with other postings that many classes have become a new format for selling. I recently attended one and was shocked at how many special "tools" they told each student were needed. I found it bordered on unethical since they were already paying big bucks for the class. It made me question any info given in the shop .. as to the motives.
But then again so have some of the magazines... it never fails one of the quilt patterns in a magazine requires a specific tool or ruler , and no alternate method without the special tool is given.
Old 05-18-2011, 07:53 AM

I have a kitty litter bucket of spools of thread that my SIL got for $5 at a yard sale over a year ago. I couldn't begin to tell you how old that stuff is but it works just fine. Most are fairly neutral colors that I can use with anything and do with no issues. I've had a couple of spools with excessive breakage and out they go but otherwise I don't think I have to buy thread for 10 years!
Old 05-18-2011, 07:55 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol: I've got thread that is 30-40 years old that works just fine. Sounds like she's lining the coffers. I buy thread when I need a particular color or run out.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:06 AM

I am still using thread that is at least 20 years old. The stretch test works. I am also wearing clothes that are more than a year old, and they aren't falling apart. ;-)
Old 05-18-2011, 08:18 AM

Location: Ohio... wanna build a cabin in the woods and live off the land... and quilt all day!

I have used a lot of my older threads, even cottons, to do quick embroidery stitch tests. Many end up just being a flap on a purse, but if it passes my stretch test, then the embroidery test, it's strong :) I don't use the old old stuff to do my piecing or final quilting. But have done many decorative thread designs on shirts & shorts for daughter and she loves the unique clothes no one else has :)
Old 05-18-2011, 08:22 AM

I heard that ONCE - from the shop owner's daughter who was teaching the class.

I have successfully used thread that was at least 30 years old. I never sew thread away unless it gives me trouble, and I've been sewing for 50 years.