Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Calling all Quilters, need help please! >

Calling all Quilters, need help please!

Calling all Quilters, need help please!

Old 07-01-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by craftybear
have fun making your tshirt quilt
Thank you! I actually am quite stoked about it! Even with the size issue! So much FUN!
Old 07-01-2011, 05:06 PM

The very first one I made...I gave it a little thought, and read articles on the internet...made a little handwritten blue print so my pieces were layed out on paper...and it came out fine.

I'm sure you will make a beautiful quilt from those shirts. It's not hard, just requires a little thought planning...which you seem to have under control.

Good luck.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:15 PM
Power Poster

You could add some extra filler pieces where you need to. Strips or small blocks together, etc. Just have fun!
Old 07-01-2011, 05:18 PM

Use the backs of the smaller ones to add some to them to make the right size. that way the color will match.
Originally Posted by Ghetohound
Originally Posted by QuiltingKrazy
you can cut some of the larger ones down to same size or add some extra t-shirt material to the smaller blocks.
Don't think to hard on it! That is my mistake! I try to hard and my brain won't function on something simple! lol
I really think that is what im doing!!!! Thank you for saying that you do it too! LOLLLLL
Old 07-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

I think you are on the right track.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:34 AM

I've made several and none of the blocks are the same size, I use a matching flannel to square up the blocks and then use the flannel as the sashing. you have to make sure you use a stabilizer on all the t-shirts
Old 07-02-2011, 03:35 AM

I haven't done a t shirt quilt yet, but I did do a memory quilt with pictures that were different sizes. What I did was a lot like what you said. I sashed each picture with a different fabric using a 2 1/2 inch piece. Then I added another background fabric and cut these pieces to be all the same size.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-219666.jpe  
Old 07-02-2011, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by the casual quilter
I ran into the same issue with my niece's t-shirt quilt. She asked me to make a quilt from t-shirts that she saved from age 5 to age 19. So nothing was consistant with regard to the size of motifs I could use. After I stabilized my t-shirt squares, I picked the biggest square in the bunch and added a sashing. I measured the block and used this measurement as my target size for the rest of the blocks. I just adjusted the width or the sashing for each of the t-shirt pieces, sometimes using more than one sashing for each t-shirt piece in different colors to get to the size I needed to get to my target size. I used all kinds of colors for the sashings in all the blocks. She loved it. She used it all through college and still has it on her bed.
I too, agree with this way. I've done this with t-shirts and with "nap towels" where I had limited "focus pieces and all different sizes"
Old 07-02-2011, 03:42 AM

This is the only t shirt quilt I've made. As you can see there were different sizes of shirts from baby to adult. I kept me rows the same size but different rows had different numbers of tops to equal the same length. For a few I had to add a bit to the sashing to get the width.

[IMG]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s...shirtquilt.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-02-2011, 03:52 AM
Power Poster

I would measure the biggest one and add a sashing(size of your choice), then use that total measurement of that block to bring your smaller blocks up to size. This would give all the blocks a "floating" effect. I would also use a sashing with weight so it would balance with the weight of the blocks. They now make "Denim" that is a lighter weight than jean denim.