Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Need a little talking to... >

Need a little talking to...

Need a little talking to...

Old 07-13-2011, 01:44 PM
Power Poster

There is no old self. We awake anew each day to discover the possibilities around us.

If you need time off, so be it. Enjoy other things for a while and keep open to and seek new ideas. Something may spark at any time. It may or may not be quilting. One never knows.
I do hope you soon find inspiration.
peace :D
Old 07-13-2011, 01:48 PM

I find that looking at quilt magazines/books (with nothing in mind except looking) and looking at all the beautiful quilts on this board (again with nothing in mind except looking at the beautiful work others have done) usually motivates me.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:49 PM

Sorry, this new Explorer is driving me nuts!
Old 07-13-2011, 02:41 PM

I do the 20 minute rule. I tell myself that I will sew for 20 minutes, which then becomes 30, 40....
Old 07-13-2011, 03:05 PM

I've had that problem before too. But as soon as I just force myself back into the sewing room, I get excited about sewing again. Can't figure out why that happens, though
Old 07-13-2011, 03:08 PM

I know what you mean by 'family stuff' - I was inundated by it for a couple of years but you just have to take all that garbage out to the trash can and get rid of it. Life is way to short to waste it on worry, so get your butt back in that gorgeous room your dh set up for you and start creating something fabulous!! You deserve to treat yourself better - get to it, girl!!
Old 07-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Jim

Suzi...look for inspiration in everything...the magazines and books...the QB or any link online...through your fabric or just a few minutes of quiet time in your quilting space...check out your UFO's ..this all helps to turn your thoughts from the negative "STUFF" thats robbing you of the things you want to do...start small and soon you'll be back to quilting and enjoying what you really want to occupy your time. REMEMBER...People and things that dont matter...DON'T MATTER...they just try to rob you of the time meant for the things you love
Old 07-13-2011, 03:31 PM
Power Poster

Just do one seam and U====I'll bet you do more.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by bjnicholson
This sounds like very good advice. Hope you get over your slump soon. We need to see more pics!

Originally Posted by Flying_V_Goddess
Originally Posted by SuziC
I have been experiencing a "slump" these last few weeks. After some awful "family stuff" i have not been able to get into quilting. My DH made my Beautiful sewing room and i need to get my ----back to making baby quilts for the local hospital. Any advise from my experts and friends. I have all the fabric i need and right now i have the time. I just need to clear my head and get back to what i love, but i am blocked. Today is the first day i have been actually looking at all the posts trying to get inspired. How do you move on and back to your old self????
I don't know what's going on with your family issues and you don't have to explain if you don't want to, but I'm thinking if something went down at your place your creativity might be going "Ugh, I don't want to work in this enviroment. I don't feel inspired. There's some bad aura going around here". You might not get motivated to create quilts sitting at home looking around at the stuff you see everyday, espessily if some drama occured there recently. If that's the case then maybe you just need a change of scenery for the day. I say don't seek out trying to get inspired because with anything artistic you can't get blood out of a turnip. Go out someplace you like and relax. You deserve it! If anything you'll enjoy yourself and come back happy and recharged. And you might find something that might inspire you along the way...once I went to my favorite sushi place just to eat and nothing else and unintentially got inspired by the 2000 paper origami cranes decorating the walls and ceiling.
This always works for me...get out and about and on your return you will feel refreshed and ready to create again.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:41 PM

I have to agree with some of the other responses. Go to a LQS and look around to be inspired. Pick out some fabric that you just love and an easy pattern. Starting something new is always exciting.