Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Jelly roll race quilt as you go? >

Jelly roll race quilt as you go?

Jelly roll race quilt as you go?

Old 07-15-2011, 07:33 PM
Power Poster

Good idea ... though I think I would use a solid back and one continuous piece of batting, then just use your Jelly Roll strip and strip quilt it as you add on.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:39 AM

I made placemats in a similar way. I'm not sure if cutting/handling such long pieces of batting will make the whole process shorter tho. I'd think it might be faster to just sew the top and backing and then layer with one piece of batting, but...?
Old 07-16-2011, 04:02 AM

I made several little quilts with strips. First I spray baste my backing & bating together,then draw a line on the edge from side to side and up the side to keep the strips even. lay the first strip inside the line,the next strip on top right sides together and sew through the 2 strips,bating and backing. press the top strip to side, and add another strip on it.Us a walking foot. when done all that is needed is the binding.this will be a horizontal pieced quilt.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:04 AM

If you want to make a quilt as you go I would suggest making it by the block, then the row with borders added as you go. I teach this method at quilt shops. I can send the information to you if you supply your email address to me at [email protected] I made all the blocks for a quilt in one day then connected blocks, rows etc. the next day. Then the binding. No matter the pattern, the method is the same. With strips you can sew the block as you go and it is quilted.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I need a finished quilt in three days. I have a jelly roll all sewn in one strip for another jelly roll race pattern. I am going stitch long strips of batting in while I sew. Then sew across to make a squares. Will it work, I don't know but I'm going to try. :lol: See you in a few hours. :thumbup:
I made a jelly roll race quilt a couple weeks ago in one day, quilting included. I used flannel strips and fleece backing. If you look in the postings for "My flannel strippy, scrappy, quilt in one day, with fleece backing quilt" you will see it. I think your seams are going to be bulky and then need something to cover the raw edges; unless I am thinking wrong. I would rather cut batting in one large piece and add it rather that wrestle long strips and backing strips. Wrestling the jelly roll strips to stay untwisted was hard enough. Just my opinion.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Good idea ... though I think I would use a solid back and one continuous piece of batting, then just use your Jelly Roll strip and strip quilt it as you add on.
That's the way I would do it also. The Misouri Star Quilt Company has a tutorial on how to Quilt as you go that way.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:46 AM

I would love to see the pic of your quilt when finished.
Old 07-16-2011, 05:27 AM

Sounds like you are going to do a quilt as you go ... right? We want to see when you're done! You're gonna have SO MUCH fun!
Old 07-16-2011, 06:09 AM

I, too, would love to see the completed quilt. Sounds fast and pretty.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
Originally Posted by brushandthimble
unless she is using a jelly roll that is already cut,:)

Its what I ordered my first jelly roll for, the Jelly roll race.
her jelly roll is cut, but the backing and batting are not...do you know how long it will take to wrangle the batting to cut it into accurate 2" strips?
Does she have to cut the batting into strips too???