Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
No sewing for 6 wks. Dr's orders >

No sewing for 6 wks. Dr's orders

No sewing for 6 wks. Dr's orders

Old 08-02-2011, 06:16 PM

I feel terrible for you! I wear a wrist brace that seems to help. At least you can still fondle fabric :)
Old 08-02-2011, 06:58 PM

Get a second opinion. And a third....
Old 08-02-2011, 07:36 PM
Power Poster

I hope it's better after the six weeks,
Old 08-02-2011, 07:39 PM

Oh, dear! That's not fun! You will have more time to be here, and as Novice.for.now suggested, study and watch videos, etc. You don't realize how much you use your thumb until you can't. Good luck on your recovery! Follow orders, so you will recover quickly!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:08 PM

Be patient. Be worth it when it heals right!
Old 08-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
Crap, yesterday I found out why my wrists are hurting. I have De Quervain's Tenosynovitis or inflammation of the 2 tendons that operate your thumb. I currently have a hard plastic splint on my right thumb/wrist and half way up my arm. I'm to not use my thumb for anything or pick up anything heavy - even my purse! Tomorrow, I see if I get one on the other hand. No sewing for 6 weeks! What will I do?
I had that once...not from sewing, but from CUTTING..I spend an entire week cutting out ultrasuede squares...it was hard work and it took its toll on my hands for sure...
Old 08-03-2011, 02:18 AM
Power Poster

Start looking in quilting magazines for your next project. If you can play with computer, go to all the places Ditter sends us. That will take up some time.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by clynns
Listen to your Doctor. That may NOT take care of the problem. I've had wrist surgery to release the band that surrounds the tendons of the wrist and thumb. I've had 3 injections in the thumb joint and 4 in the wrist. I've used ice, Polar Ice, Bio Freeze, hot parrafin wax (this does give relief for awhile). I've had Sammons splint, black wrap around splint with metal in the wrist area to prevent me from moving my wrist, I've been to physical therapy, occupational therapy, they've made a hard splint that I've had to wear a 'sock' over, the injections of cortizone and now I've been on Lidoderm 5% pain patches and Vicodin tabs for pain since 2004 when I got hurt at work. This is very serious. I'll say a prayer for you. My injury occured at work because I thought the more that I did, the more money I made. I made real good money. BUT YOU CAN'T GET BACK YOUR HEALTH. It wasn't worth it. Cheryl

PS: Binding a quilt is the most painful that I do. It takes me about 10 inches of binding before my hand starts aching. But I don't like the way that it looks machine done.
You should try Sharon Schamber's method of glueing the binding before sewing it on. It works great and no pins needed. The glue acts like pins to hold everything in place, then just machine stitch it to one side, flip it over and hand sew on the other.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:08 AM

sorry for you pain (both types :) )
hope the time goes by fast for you
Old 08-03-2011, 04:35 AM

One thing we know is you won't be twiddling your thumbs since you can't sew and/or quilt!