paypal experiences

Old 08-22-2011, 08:43 AM

Thanks Katier825-that explains it well. I will ask my DS to help me set up one. I guess I just freek out with the idea that someone has access to my checking account - I don't even EVER set up on auto bill payment, because years ago I got deducted twice for a large bill and it caused several checks to bounce (yes, a time when checks were still widely used!). In Vanuatu, the utility companies always tried to get you to set up on auto debit, even the bank tried to force me to have my mortgage payment auto debited as a condition of the loan - I fought that one and got my way - but it does make me nervous!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:43 AM
Power Poster

phishing advisory:

some of them look VERY legit - so be aware -

if something looks odd - forward it to:

[email protected]

I did get fooled ONCE with a phishing expedition - it looked SOOO legitimate. Which is why I now have a different credit card number. :oops:
Old 08-22-2011, 08:46 AM

PayPal is quick, easy, and secure. You may send or receive money. Alot of catalogs and other sites have PayPal as an option for paym't. The only problem for me is that it makes shopping from home so easy.....too easy!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:49 AM

I finally set up a pay pal account... and then wondered why did I wait so long.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:06 AM

I have just started using paypal and so far really like it. Before starting paypal I talk to my bank rep. who suggested opening a "dump" account. This account is used strictly for internet shopping/paypal. this way I keep my spending/selling moneys separate from the bill money (really don't want to spend the bill money, LOL).

So far it works....
Old 08-22-2011, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by MTS
Originally Posted by ptquilts
I'm not sure I would want someone in another country to know my PP account info. They could easily send you a phishing email and if you fall for it, there goes your money.
That's the whole point of PayPal, though.
The majority of my fabric purchases via PayPal are made outside th e US. Never, ever had a problem.

And phishing emails don't have to come from Nigeria from my long lost mishpacha (!) in order to con unwitting recipients.
Our fellow US countrymen do very well with that all by themselves.
yes, but when you get scammed by someone in the US the Feds can get involved.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
I'm not sure I would want someone in another country to know my PP account info. They could easily send you a phishing email and if you fall for it, there goes your money.

I know it is wrong of me to mistrust people from other countries more so than the US, but there are places in Eastern Europe where much of the economy is built on internet scams.

But since another QB member has vouched for this seller, there seems like there would be no problem.

NOBODY has your info but you, paypal sends her the money, that's it, all she has is your email

Yes, but now they know what email address to send the phishing email to.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by kathy

I know it is wrong of me to mistrust people from other countries more so than the US, but there are places in Eastern Europe where much of the economy is built on internet scams.

But since another QB member has vouched for this seller, there seems like there would be no problem.

NOBODY has your info but you, paypal sends her the money, that's it, all she has is your email

Yes, but now they know what email address to send the phishing email to.
That's why it is so important not to access thru any email links you get...you should always type the address in and log in directly!
Old 08-22-2011, 09:19 AM

I have had my pay pal account for about 10 years now. I started it when I began selling on ebay. Still use it when ever needed. When I sell items from ebay I just let the money sit in my pay pal account. It's always been there when I went to use it :)
Old 08-22-2011, 09:21 AM

I use paypal all the time. Never had a problem with it.