Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Quilt Retreats and Fibromyalgia >

Quilt Retreats and Fibromyalgia

Quilt Retreats and Fibromyalgia

Old 09-07-2011, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by vickig626
Originally Posted by grayma
I have fibro that is mostly controlled with magnesium. But the flare ups are very uncomfortable. I went to a retreat last year and I just got up from my chair (I took my own) and went to iron, see what everyone else was working, chit chat, or just took a walk. Also went to my room earlier than most in the evening. It was fun and I didn't suffer too much. However, my commute was only about 10 minutes!
Magnesium??? How much do you take? I know I take it in my multi-vits but not as a separate supplement. Do you know "how" it helps? I just take Tramadol for pain and Zanaflex for muscle spasms. I'm curious about any nature remedies.

And, yes, that's what I'm thinking if I do decide to go. Just putter along as I feel up to it.
I take two 400 mg tablets before going to bed. I got this info from a niece that was working at a health food store and studying nutrition in college. A dentist I went to said he took it to help his migraines. I still have some discomfort in my right hip cheek and shoulders, but not so much that it keeps me from enjoying life.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:24 PM

I have fibro that is mostly controlled with magnesium. But the flare ups are very uncomfortable. I went to a retreat last year and I just got up from my chair (I took my own) and went to iron, see what everyone else was working, chit chat, or just took a walk. Also went to my room earlier than most in the evening. It was fun and I didn't suffer too much. However, my commute was only about 10 minutes!
Magnesium??? How much do you take? I know I take it in my multi-vits but not as a separate supplement. Do you know "how" it helps? I just take Tramadol for pain and Zanaflex for muscle spasms. I'm curious about any nature remedies.

And, yes, that's what I'm thinking if I do decide to go. Just putter along as I feel up to it.
I take two 400 mg tablets before going to bed. I got this info from a niece that was working at a health food store and studying nutrition in college. A dentist I went to said he took it to help his migraines. I still have some discomfort in my right hip cheek and shoulders, but not so much that it keeps me from enjoying life.
I'll definitely have to look into this. I typically have pain 24/ 7 these days but have decided to fight through the pain. On my bad days, I just take it easy.

Thanks for the info !!
Old 09-07-2011, 11:06 PM

one of these days I will go on a quilt retreat, sounds like so much fun.

I hope you are able to go.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:53 AM

At most retreats you can pace yourself and take as many breaks as you would like. You will have a great time and really enjoy the company of many other quilters.
Old 09-08-2011, 03:53 AM

Have fibro also, plus Chronic Fatigue Immune Deficiency syndrome. Go and rest when you need to and have fun!
Helen
Old 09-08-2011, 03:59 AM

i have FMS also..just deal with it as you do at home. make sure you have warm clothes,maybe you use a moist heating pad,take it with you. the hardest part of fibro with me, is the mornings...take a hot bath, move around,walk the halls to get moving. take lots of breaks! have fun...

Just wondering if anyone who has Fibro has gone on a quilt retreat. Specifically, how did you handle your pain while trying to sew, etc. for 2+ days. Were you actually able to enjoy the weekend?

I know this might sound like a strange question but I'm thinking about going to the MI Lake Huron Retreat but not sure if I can handle those "camp" beds, sewing, quilting, etc. for 2-1/2 days plus the drive there and back.

Fibro sucks !! :thumbdown:

Thanks for any input.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Airwick156
Originally Posted by Kehoeta
I'm planning on going to the Lake Huron retreat also. If it would help, I can drive.. I have a Tahoe, so it is comfortable for longer trips and for most passengers.

PM me if you are interested.
What a nice gesture to offer to drive her. What a blessing and just think...what a great way to meet a board member. :)
I think this is why we love this Board. To have the friends and sisters all over the country and world!
Old 09-08-2011, 05:15 AM

I've had fibro most of my life and decided it will not dictate. I want to live my life, so the first day back from retreat is a wash. Take with you whatever makes you comfortable at home. Pillows, heating pad, electric blanket, pain pills. Pace yourself. Every 45 minutes get up and walk around. Take a short nap, a nap longer than 20-45 minutes is counter-productive.
the retreats I have attend had a massage therapist come in for aa afternoon, it's worth every penny. This has worked for me for years. good luck.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:34 AM

I know how you feel. Do you have prescription pain pills? If not maybe you could get some for the trip?
Old 09-08-2011, 05:52 AM

I want to thank everyone who has responded to my query. I knew I wasn't alone with dealing with Fibro and trying to quilt. Couple that with arthritis definitely affects how and what I do.

Thank you ALL !!!
I have Fibro and Rheumatoid Arthritis as well. I do what I can when I can. And when I can't, I slow down. Have fun and enjoy yourself.