Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Last Minute Fabric Switch >
  • Last Minute Fabric Switch

• Last Minute Fabric Switch

Old 12-02-2011, 10:12 PM
    Kas

I once changed my idea for fabrics 5 times! On a couple of elements, I changed the fabric more than once. Your stash sure gets bigger that way. On the quilt I am working on right now, I have changed my fabrics a couple of times, already. The fabric I really want to do away with is the one I have to keep. It is the challenge fabric in a guild contest. It is hideous. No lie.
    Old 12-03-2011, 12:26 AM

Yep, all the time. It's an ongoing process with me.

It drives my DD crazy sometimes when she's with me at the store because I even do it there. I may have the whole quilt palette set up and then just before cutting have to rework it, which means that sometimes I have enough fabric to almost make two quilts! Then I may change something again when I get home and check my stash - just in case. LOL
    Old 12-03-2011, 05:13 AM

Not a bad thing if you have something in your stash to use. I, on the other hand, wish that I had purchased a different (or more of) piece after I get home. Your way is the preferred way.
    Old 12-04-2011, 12:40 AM

Thanks for all of the input ladies. I'm going to blame it on the lighting at the LQS ... hehe. I am working on so many things at once, that nothing is getting completed. One of these days I will post some pictures. I HAVE to get everything done by Christmas.
    Old 12-04-2011, 02:57 AM
    Power Poster

All the time. This is why I need a bigger storage closet.
    Old 12-04-2011, 04:22 AM

I have fabric in my stash to prove I change my mind.
    Old 12-05-2011, 07:11 AM

Oh I do this ALL the time! Actually if I end up using JUST the fabrics I purchased for a project and DON"T change anything? That is the exception rather than the rule! I just NAME the process and call it 'auditioning'. Just because I BOUGHT it for that project, does not mean it will make the final cut! I'm just so ruthless...hehehehehehe

Welcome from a fellow quilter on the west side of the Valley of the Sun! I'm in Glendale (near the football stadium!).
    Old 12-05-2011, 08:02 AM

I've done that before. I get ity home, then it just doesn't look like I thought it would
    Old 12-05-2011, 08:35 AM

I'm new and I ALWAYS* putter around and change my mind until I'm happy. For me, the fabric choice is the first thing someone will see and either enjoy looking at or not. Why go to all the toruble of doing a quilt with something which is ho-hum, or a little off, or just not good enough?

*EXCEPT ONCE ...the one time I didn't was an open class I just took where it was weekly, and you had to buy the fabric from the LQS giving the class. So I had a great pattern - Hyacinths by Clothworks but I wanted to do it in teals and peach for my sister in law, and the owner - a fabric-choosing expert - helped my pull together six colors and choose where they went. No fault to her, as she did the best with what she had, but as I started to assemble the HST and Flying Geese and put them together, my heart sunk. I showed it to the owner and she agreed one of the fabrics didn't work and she told me I could supplement that fabric from another LQS. I went right on line, grabbed matching fabric (Martinique by 3 sisters) and took apart the bad blocks, recut new fabric, snuck in a couple more complementary fabrics, and now it is much better. I've done most of the quilting and I'll give it to my sister in law for Christmas. BUT I am still not satisfied.