Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Need to purchase a new Iron for Quilting/Sewing? >
  • Need to purchase a new Iron for Quilting/Sewing?

• Need to purchase a new Iron for Quilting/Sewing?

Old 04-05-2009, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    My Rowenta fell on a cement floor. DH glued and duct-taped it back together again for me. :-) I think I've had it 10 years or more and it's still going strong. Mine is not the type with a removeable water reservoir; I've heard those leak.

Over the years I have found Rowenta's at Goodwill for $5 and purchased them as I find them. I now have a couple of spares in case mine ever gives out.
    I always look for irons at Goodwills and consignment stores. Haven't been as lucky as you have! My Sunbeam is several years old, heavy enough and a real workhorse. I bought it at Costco. It turns itself off automatically. I know other quilters don't like that, but I do. My husband does, too, because otherwise I'd forget!
    Old 04-05-2009, 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Loretta
    Joanne, I like the turn off feature too, but those irons never get as hot as the other kind. Or is that my imagination?
    Mine gets hot enough - I usually have it set on 'linen' when I'm quilting. I don't use steam when I'm pressing patchwork. I don't want to take a chance on a spitting iron, even though my Sunbeam hasn't done that. Past irons have, and it always happened at the wrong time, of course! I use spray sizing, because the stiffness makes piecing SO much easier. If I get wrinkles, it helps get rid of them. When I'm pressing prewashed yardage, I use spray bottles - the ones I get in six-packs at Costco.
    Old 04-05-2009, 01:54 PM

I had several irons with all the bells and whistle....then I had to find another that would suit my piecing and pressing....stopped in wal-mart and there it was..the Black and Decker 'Classic"..I actually like this one better than all those expensive ones..cost..I think , about 15.00. Love it!!
    Old 04-05-2009, 02:09 PM

I have a GE Auto Shut-Off Lightweight iron with an extra-long cord that I got second hand from a fabric store that was replacing their irons.. had 2 of them and gave one to my niece...let's see, that was about 8 years ago.. it's still going strong and I love it.. I especially like the extra-long cord.
    Old 04-05-2009, 02:36 PM

I have a Black & Decker , it is about 25 years old. It was the cheepest one I could find.
    Old 04-09-2009, 06:16 AM

Joanne, I like the turn off feature too, but those irons never get as hot as the other kind. Or is that my imagination?
    no, it's not.

after wasting a lot of money on irons that break or don't work or leak, i now buy excess inventory irons, whatever the brand is, for around $10 and toss after 1 year. by then i've dropped it on the floor and scratched the soleplate anyway. i think i'm ahead of the game.
    Old 04-09-2009, 06:39 AM
    Power Poster

I have just a Sunbeam steam master and I love it. It has been great for about 5 years. I use it all the time and never had a problem. I have one of the cordless irons and it doesn't stay hot long enough so don't use it. Ninnie in NC
    Old 04-09-2009, 08:08 AM

I have one of the cordless also and it is HUGE...don't like it even on the big board.
    Old 04-09-2009, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
    no, it's not.

after wasting a lot of money on irons that break or don't work or leak, i now buy excess inventory irons, whatever the brand is, for around $10 and toss after 1 year. by then i've dropped it on the floor and scratched the soleplate anyway. i think i'm ahead of the game.
    Where do you find 'escess inventory irons? Sounds like a good idea.
    Old 04-09-2009, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing
    no, it's not.