Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Oliso Smart Iron >

Oliso Smart Iron

Oliso Smart Iron

Old 08-04-2012, 06:52 AM

I have used my Oliso iron now for well over a year, got it on ebay. Have not had any problems with it, I do appreciate the 30 minutes auto off feature. the pop up feature and keeping it down instead of standing it up on the heal are all a learning curve. I don't know if I would buy another, but I am enjoying the one I have...
Old 08-04-2012, 08:00 AM

I've had mine for 3 or 4 years now. I love it. I just use regular tap water in mine.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:13 AM

I've had one (the yellow one) for over a year now and I really do like it.

I like the fact that I can leave it laying flat as opposed to standing on end - when an iron lays flat it's a lot less likely to tip.

I like the fact that I can turn the raising feet off if I'm pressing seams on a lot of pieces. I like to lay the iron on the seam and while it's setting, I grab the next piece and prepare it.

I LOVE the 30 minute shut off.

I LOVE the 12' cord!!

Unlike one other poster I LIKE the fact that it's a heavy iron. Personal choice I guess, but I don't like lightweight irons, I just don't seem to get as a good a press from them.

I LOVE that it STAYS hot! The little light that tells you when the iron is hot or needs to heat more .... never seems to go out while I'm using it - even when I'm ironing yardage.

As for cleaning ... a breeze!! I use heavy starch (MaryEllens actually) and I never have a problem cleaning the base of this iron. In fact, several times I think "time to clean the iron" it doesn't need it. It seems to stay clean all by itself. When I do need to clean it - I just use a damp wash cloth (on a cold iron!).

I do not use steam in my iron ever so needing a special water was not an issue for me.

Last edited by DogHouseMom; 08-04-2012 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:14 AM

I had just watched a You Tube video of Jenny Doan this morning - and noticed that her iron was different. This was the iron she was using! Looks interesting, but seems like mixed reviews. I don't know if I could part with that much money for an iron that may or may not last for several years. Think I'd rather have more fabric!
Old 08-04-2012, 10:50 AM

I bought one at Road to California in January and LOVE IT. It is heavy, but works great for pressing those seams.
Old 08-04-2012, 09:51 PM

They are aweful. I will never buy another. Mine is very good with steam BUT it does not get hot. I'm getting Reliable next. I am not happy. Oh....mine also leaks.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:58 AM

I have had one for several years. It took some getting used to as I tended to try and start ironing before the feet had a chance to retrack. Mine does tend to leak a little. The first couple of years I just used tap water, I have a well. This past year I started using distilled water. I don't see any difference but it is handy having the gallon jug sitting there if I need water.
I don't know if I would spend the money again when this one dies.
Old 08-05-2012, 02:59 AM

Originally Posted by BArnold View Post
I have had two of them top of the line iron from this company and have returned both. They worked for a very short period and then nothing. I would NOT recommend them!!!! But maybe I just got two lemons????

Wow, two for two, not good odds at all, I would say.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:58 AM

I have had two. The first one's cord was too short for me. The high end one I bought, spit something terrible. It also spewed water all over. I returned that for a Rowenta.
Old 08-05-2012, 04:09 AM

Default recommend not getting this iron

The quilt shop where I work has had about 3 of these. They just decide to stop working after a few months. Our distributor has been very good about replacing but I certainly wouldn't buy one.