Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Quilt patterns from the 1800's >
  • Quilt patterns from the 1800's

• Quilt patterns from the 1800's

Old 03-19-2013, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Phoppe
    I was wondering if anyone might know of popular quilt patterns from the "Wild West" days. My cousin in Germany is creating his own saloon in an old barn on his property and I was thinking of making him a throw quilt to hang over a chair or something from the wild west saloon era. Anyone know of the common quilt block patterns that would have been used around that time? Thanks.
    My guess is that a crazy quilt pattern would fit the bill. IN THE OLDEN DAYS, quilts utilized scraps------------whatever shape or size or fabric content was handy. And being more of a rough and tumble sort of place, the fine work of a more patterned quilt might be kept for the bedroom.

One advantage of a crazy quilt, you could use old slacks, suit jackets, vests, dress & work shirts. Lean toward the darker colors--------dark brown, blood red, forest green, dark slate blue, grays, some lights, but more darker stuff. Maybe quilt it with a variegated thread using all those colors.

AND IMO! for a quilt for your purpose, it would not need to be "quilting cotton" only.
    Old 03-19-2013, 02:17 PM

Good idea GrannieAnnie!
    Old 03-19-2013, 02:36 PM
    Power Poster

How about Delectable Mountains
    Old 03-19-2013, 08:54 PM

Those are cool but too skilled for this beginner.
    Old 03-20-2013, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by Phoppe
    I was wondering if anyone might know of popular quilt patterns from the "Wild West" days. My cousin in Germany is creating his own saloon in an old barn on his property and I was thinking of making him a throw quilt to hang over a chair or something from the wild west saloon era. Anyone know of the common quilt block patterns that would have been used around that time? Thanks.
    If you go to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln website: http://www.quiltstudy.org/# you can view their collection and see quilts made in the 1800's. My avatar is a recreation of an 1830 quilt in their collection with only minor modification.
    Old 03-20-2013, 03:04 AM
    Banned

This story has proved time, time, time and again to be a myth. There is no hard evidence even among highly respected African-American Quilt Historians that quilts were ever used to guide escaping slaves to freedom.
    Even blocks supposedly used in the code were not "created" until well after the Civil War - even into the 1930's - example Double Wedding Ring and Sunbonnet Sue.
    Old 03-20-2013, 03:15 AM
    Banned

There was some discussion today on the Quilt History List about the Log Cabin design. The report is that it was used in the mid 1800"s with a quilt being show dated 1860 with another from just before the Civil War.
    I chuckled over the suggestion of doing a Crazy Patch and pictured the quilt made with elegent satins, lace, velvet.
    Considering what is rumored to take place in the rooms above the saloon, this might be very appropriate......lol
    I believe quilts of this period and especially those taken by families traveling in wagon trains would have been very simple and used for warmth rather than fancy so primitive looking would be appropriate - log cabin, squares etc.
    Old 03-20-2013, 03:51 AM

I love this board I get so much information here thanks to all who participate this was great info
    Old 03-20-2013, 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by GrannieAnnie
    My guess is that a crazy quilt pattern would fit the bill. IN THE OLDEN DAYS, quilts utilized scraps------------whatever shape or size or fabric content was handy. And being more of a rough and tumble sort of place, the fine work of a more patterned quilt might be kept for the bedroom.

One advantage of a crazy quilt, you could use old slacks, suit jackets, vests, dress & work shirts. Lean toward the darker colors--------dark brown, blood red, forest green, dark slate blue, grays, some lights, but more darker stuff. Maybe quilt it with a variegated thread using all those colors.

AND IMO! for a quilt for your purpose, it would not need to be "quilting cotton" only.
    i hadn't thought of using old suits for a crazy quilt. I like this idea!
    Old 03-20-2013, 05:31 AM

Most likely they made a crazy quilt with lots of different pieces of different types of fabrics such as cottons, silks, and velvet. They were sewn by hand and had no particular pattern. Try the link below. This is a great idea for the saloon.

http://www.caron-net.com/classes/cla.../clasmay1.html