Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Wedding Guest Quilt >

Wedding Guest Quilt

Wedding Guest Quilt

Old 04-11-2013, 05:46 PM

I had a friend make 16 inch squares with a print on one side and a solid on the other, she then put in a piece of 15 inch batting and quilted them. She used them for place mats at the dinner and ask the guests to sign them on the solid side, with the supplied sharpie's. After the wedding she stitched them together like a ragg quilt, it is beautiful with wonderful memories. There was plenty of room to write and she had everything from just signatures, art work to nice poems. She used her daughter's wedding colors for this.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:42 PM

Here is a mock-up of what I am thinking of doing. It is a warm wishes pattern, on point. Think I'll have a cream or ivory for the "framed" blocks and a white for the unframed blocks. What do you guys think?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]407486[/ATTACH]
It will be roughly 105" x 121"
Attached Thumbnails wedding-quilt.png  
Old 04-12-2013, 05:03 AM

I made a picture quilt for my in-laws 60th wedding anniversary and took long strips of fabric ironed to freezer paper for the guests to sign and then sewed that strips to the back so they had a permanent reminder of their guests at the celebration. They are both gone now and I have the quilt and it's a wonderful reminder of a very special day!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:28 AM

CraftyRae, I like your patterns - and so many great ideas on how to get it accomplished!
Old 04-12-2013, 05:32 AM

I just finished a signature quilt from my daughter's wedding. I pieced the blocks from scraps of things I had made for her throughout her growing up years. We used muslin for the signing area. I prewashed it so it would take the ink well. We used micron pens with freezer paper ironed to the back of the muslin area. It worked great. We just scattered the pieced blocks over a table in the foyer of the reception area for guests to sign as they came to the reception. Since there were a variety of prints, the guests picked something they liked. I ironed all the signatures to set the ink. Later I pieced them into a quilt. Several things I would have done differently...1. I should have told my niece who was in charge of the table to have each person sign a block. (I think some husbands didn't want to sign, so the wife did theirs together.) Several had the whole family on one block. So I had lots of unsigned blocks that could have been signed if we would have pushed for one block per person. 2. I should have marked the signature area with a washout marker. There were a few signatures that got very close or into the seam area. Especially on one that wrote a sweet note to the bride and groom.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:07 AM

Here's a get well quilt I did for my brother-in-law in 2008. Same principle: sent muslin ironed to freezer paper and pre-cut into rectangles, with the corner seam allowance marked in pencil. I had them use supplied Pigma Micron 05 (archival ink) pens. Most of these were signed by sixth graders. The rectangles didn't fray because the freezer paper stabilizes the fabric, also making it easier to write on. If you just supply the pre-cut squares, you can take your time making the quilt when you don't have so many other things to do. If you don't get enough signatures, you can evenly disperse them throughout the quilt design. I ironed them to set the ink and they are permanent. Good luck with your endeavor. It will be a fantastic memento of your special day.[ATTACH=CONFIG]407531[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dscf9975.jpg  
Old 04-12-2013, 06:09 AM

What a great idea. Good luck with your project.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:21 AM

I like the pattern you've chosen. It will be very pretty.
Old 04-12-2013, 06:25 AM

HOW DID YOU PREP THE FABRIC?
WHAT PENS DID YOU USE SUCCESSFULLY?
WHAT STEPS DID YOU TAKE WITH THE FABRIC AFTER THE FABRIC WAS SIGNED?
HOW LONG DO THE SIGNATURES LAST?

Wash and dry, but DO NOT STARCH when ironing.
Pigma Pens. DO NOT use ball point pens or gel pens. I have also used ultra fine point Sharpies, but if someone holds the point on the fabric, the ink will wick into the fabric and make a blob.
Press each block with a hot, dry iron. This will set the ink into the fibers.
I don't know.

I made a memory quilt for one of my husband's friends for her wedding. She wanted a wall hanging, so I decided on 36x36 with 6" finished blocks. I made and gave her 40 snowball blocks and two Pigma pens. She was thrilled that I would do something like that for her. But it's been 4 years since her wedding, and I still haven't gotten the blocks back. I reminded her 3 times in the first year, but after her first anniversary, I told my husband that I wasn't going to go looking for work. If she ever gives them back to me, I will finish it. If not, c'est la vie!
Old 04-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

great idea... can't wait to see it