Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • no borders >
  • no borders

• no borders

Old 09-02-2013, 04:57 AM

When I made a quilt for my sister she REQUESTED no border for one edge to tuck at the top.
    MaryKatherine
    Old 09-02-2013, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy
    If you look at the vintage quilts (from the 1800's, especially) the pieced quilts usually did not have much in the way of borders. Often there was no border at all--the quilter just made blocks until the quilt was the desired size. It takes longer to make a quilt that way, because there's so much more piecing, but I tend to make mine that way. Just a personal preference, I guess.
    I think the reason a lot of vintage quilts didn't have borders was lack of sufficient fabric to make them. Quilts were made using up what was on hand so they probably didn't have the yardage required for a border. No matter what the trend is, aren't we lucky to be able to make quilts any way that pleases us?
    Old 09-02-2013, 05:55 AM

I am big on borders. I let the quilt tell me if it needs borders. I have made quilts without borders and many with many borders. Often I use borders to make quilt bigger. One that I am working on now will have 6 borders. Do what you think looks good. Do not be a sheep and follow the herd.
    Old 09-02-2013, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by JustAbitCrazy
    If you look at the vintage quilts (from the 1800's, especially) the pieced quilts usually did not have much in the way of borders. Often there was no border at all--the quilter just made blocks until the quilt was the desired size. It takes longer to make a quilt that way, because there's so much more piecing, but I tend to make mine that way. Just a personal preference, I guess.
    Probably because access to fabric and cost were factors then.....almost the same now
    Old 09-02-2013, 06:19 AM

I do both and like both. Right now I am making on that only has side borders. My first quilt with only two borders. But I liked the pattern so I am going with it.

BTW...beautiful example of one with no borders. Stunning quilting!!!!
    Old 09-02-2013, 07:26 AM
    Power Poster

I have to agree I think it is a modern thing. I just go with what I like with each quilt.
    Old 09-02-2013, 07:32 AM

I like a border on a quilt. That being said if its a wide border , I prefer it to be pieced and not a single slice of fabric.
    Old 09-02-2013, 07:42 AM
    Power Poster

I do not like borders that are added in one wide strip, usually to make the quilt bigger. I like a border that is part of the design. Sashing is mini borders and something I try to avoid.
    Old 09-02-2013, 08:09 AM

I think I've only put borders on one quilt by choice, a couple others by demand, and never sashing. Borders are not at all suitable for the designs I make and would do nothing but detract from the overall feeling of the quilt. They should only be used when they add to the design and never considered a necessary frame of some sort. Way overused in my opinion...a very 'cookie cutter' habit. I'm delighted to see less of them.
    Old 09-02-2013, 08:39 AM
    Power Poster

Personal preference RULES... No need to follow the trend! (If there is a trend...) If you work from patterns you are never bound to follow them exactly-- make it your way! I have gotten away from adding borders because I am just frankly sick of them. If they don't add anything to the quilt besides some extra size, I wouldn't use them. I also am sick of sashing.
    Sometimes I wonder why people sash, when it obviously keeps their blocks from interacting and playing off each other. Sometimes it's just a shame that it was done, when the quilt would have had so much more movement and depth without it.

To each, their own... Just trust your gut feelings about each quilt you make and you can't go wrong.