cloth diapers

Old 09-06-2013, 08:36 AM
Power Poster

My DD uses these diapers---she is very knowledgeable about them. All I have ever done is replace elastic or Velcro and made some bamboo liners. These babies ( 2 ) are allergic to most disposables and even the wipes. Found it is best to buy Velcro online--cheaper and stronger. You do have to be careful in buying the PUL--heard some were very bad. DD loves to use the wool diapers but so expensive.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

Walmart still sells the plastic pants. There would be fewer diapers in parking lots and the waterways if people still used cloth diapers. I have to give it up to my friends' daughter who only uses cloth diapers. She has twins and from day one only has to replace the plastic/rubber pants. When they had her baby shower she asked for cloth diapers if anyone purchased cloth diapers. Disposable diapers are not that cheap. When she changes those babies diapers, she washes them with wash cloths (not wipes) and uses the creams. Her mother keeps diapers at her house so the daughter doesn't have to bring them over.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I would buy a package and wait a few months to see if the cloth diapers are still the choice.
I agree. I tried to use cloth 30 years ago because of ecological concerns. But my poor little boy's butt just about peeled from the rash. And if your baby is suffering, to heck with the landfill! I switched to disposables and his butt was as soft as a baby's behind! The new mother needs time to decide what's right for her baby. If she goes with cloth, she'll need larger sizes and you'll have lots of time to make her more.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:54 AM

When my daughter was born I was gifted three month's diaper service by my coworkers which I continued until we bought a washing machine. I used plastic pants and I also took a rubber sheet and cut it to fit inside her folded diaper. Worked good for me. I also folded her diapers then used big basting stitches to hold them together. Saved folding.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
I agree. I tried to use cloth 30 years ago because of ecological concerns. But my poor little boy's butt just about peeled from the rash. And if your baby is suffering, to heck with the landfill! I switched to disposables and his butt was as soft as a baby's behind! The new mother needs time to decide what's right for her baby. If she goes with cloth, she'll need larger sizes and you'll have lots of time to make her more.
that is the reason I used cloth diapers on my sons. They would get a horrible rash within 30 minutes of wearing a disposable diaper. Like mentioned above, I used wash cloths to clean their behinds then applied cream to keep them comfortable.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:35 AM

I, too, used cloth diapers with all my kids. I made all mine out of flannel. Mainly cause They could not do the plastic over them, so made them bigger than the store bought ones for extra absorbancy. Always carried bread bags for the soiled ones when out & about.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:30 PM

My DGD did this with her kids and I will tell you that those cloth diapers probably avoided some diaper rash, but not all and when they did get diaper rash, it couldn't be treated because the treatment destroys the diapers' absorbency.
You can buy the outer covers and my experience is that in the long run, buying them is cheaper than making them, especially if you value your time at all.

And the one thing all of you who have answered have ignored, is that the cloth diapers stink to high heaven! They require a special detergent, hours of stuffing the outer cover with the diapers, and on and on into the night. Good luck
but I can tell you that my patience with cloth diapers when better is available has worn thin. Viva high quality disposables!I wish they had been around when my child was a baby. froggyintexas

Originally Posted by GingerK
My DD used cloth diapers for both her girls. The initial cost is huge but is only about half the cost of disposables over the diapered time of a baby. There are some draw backs. You have to use a special detergent because regular detergent negates the absorbancy of the liners. The liners have to be 'stripped' occasionally--means a special washing of some sort. You cannot use diaper cream on the baby because it interferes with the absorbancy(unless you put an extra little liner between butt and diaper).

I have also replaced the elastic on the legs and backs of many of those diapers. Pain in the butt but do-able and prolongs the life of the diaper. (this is the 'outer' part)

It is a great concept but I really don't think a lot of new parents understand the work and commitment this needs.

Making the outers consists of a special fabric, a special pattern and special fasteners. I am thrilled that DD did not ask me to attempt that. The liners are easier but still need certain fabrics and a serger.

If you are willing to do this, you are a better person than I am!!
Old 09-07-2013, 07:10 AM

Check out Ebay for reusable diapers. They are in abundance.
Old 09-07-2013, 02:58 PM

Living,
Just about everything! Did you have a pattern, what kind of fabric, where did you get supplies etc. The book I have has soakers, liners, foe, Velcro, snaps! Argh! Where do I start?