Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • POWERFUL lightweight iron >
  • POWERFUL lightweight iron

• POWERFUL lightweight iron

Old 09-11-2013, 02:05 PM

i,ve had that iron from vermont country store ,it,s ok but i think the heavyer the iron better press you get ,nothing like the fashion ones loved those irons
    Old 09-12-2013, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by nellie
    i,ve had that iron from vermont country store ,it,s ok but i think the heavyer the iron better press you get ,nothing like the fashion ones loved those irons
    Save yourself some carpal tunnel issues down the line - the key to great pressing and crisp seams isn't the weight of our irons, it's the heat. Many irons don't heat up as much as needed for quilting, so you need to do some research, but really, do yourself a favor and get a lightweight iron that gets good and hot (100% cotton can take the heat!). Your wrists will thank you!!
    Old 09-12-2013, 03:06 AM

I have a Hobbico Iron that I saw Eleanor Burns using on TV. It is actually a hobby iron used for sealing. It is only dry, weighs very little (probably less than 1 lb.), and heats by desired temperature up to 450F. Can be purchased on line, but I found mine locally for $29.97.
    Old 09-12-2013, 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
    So far I like the dry iron. I use the iron for all applique and fusibles. No holes make the sole plate very easy to clean. The 5ft cord hasn't been a problem for me. It's plugged into a power strip. I don't use it for all my pressing. I have three irons on my ironing big board iron ready to use.
    I bought the dry iron on your recommendation and I LOVE IT! I don't have a modern iron any more since my old Black and Decker rusted out. I love the shape, the weight, the easy-clean real metal ironing surface...and I didn't even know the cord was short until you mentioned it.
    Old 09-12-2013, 04:18 AM

I have a Black and Decker Digital and absolutely love it. Has great heat and mega steam!!
    Old 09-12-2013, 04:27 AM

I have this iron Suzette316 and I love it. got it from the Vermont store.
    Old 09-12-2013, 05:19 AM

Interesting topic.
    Old 09-12-2013, 06:27 AM

I did have a Rowenta travel iron that I paid 39.00 for and it pooped out after not quite two years of infrequent use, so when it came time to buy another one I went to Wally world and found a Rival for under $7.00 and it works great. It doesn't turn off after sitting for a while and gets plenty hot. I don't use water in it because I don't care how much you pay for irons, they are going to spit out junk. I make my own starch and spritz when it is needed. When I leave the room for longer than a potty break, I unplug my iron, so that's why I didn't mind that it doesn't turn off. You have to look for this iron on the shelves because they don't make it too obvious that they have it.
    Good luck with which ever iron you buy. Happy quilting!

Oh! and it's lightweight and powerful.

Last edited by quiltinglady-1; 09-12-2013 at 06:30 AM.
    Old 09-12-2013, 07:39 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by Suzette316
    I love that you get that it's the heat, not the weight that gets the job done with our pressing!

I too have a Rowenta (a gift from hubby about five years ago) that gets plenty hot, but it is a heavy bugger! I have had Black & Decker irons in the past that get very hot, but are lightweight. I got them at Walmart and was very happy with them. You might try going there (or to a similar store) and pick them up and see what you think about the weight.

Since I don't use steam in my iron (I use a spritzer bottle if I want the steam effect), my next iron will be this one:
    http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/s...Dry_Iron/42277
    Oh I love the vermont store!!! Thanks for sharing this .. I have wanted a dry iron for a while ...
    Old 09-12-2013, 07:41 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Originally Posted by SewExtremeSeams
    Interesting topic.
    Always an interesting topic on QB ! LOL