Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Retired---What Is Your Day Like? >

Retired---What Is Your Day Like?

Retired---What Is Your Day Like?

Old 12-11-2013, 05:32 AM

Retirement is great for me. I'm not an early bird (always disliked getting up early for work) so I'm usually up by 9 a.m. I do volunteer at my church, quilt when I can, take care of two grandsons if school is closed, and just do as I like. My husband is retired too although he did have a part time job at first. He didn't like being on the road in bumper to bumper traffic. The job was good but the driving wasn't. So we pretty much do what we want to do. I think we deserve it after 30+ years of work. You'll find your niche!
Old 12-11-2013, 05:41 AM

My dh still works so I get up with him at 5:15. After he leaves at 6, I grab a cup of coffee and go back to bed for a while with my laptop and visit QB, check my email and think about my day. By 8, I'm up and puttering with laundry, house-cleaning and pay any bills that come in. Lately, I've spent part of the mornings wrapping presents and getting boxes ready to mail out to distant relatives. From noon on, I'm in my quilt studio, either organizing or working on a project. I just finished a rather large hexagon throw for my youngest daughter for Christmas....it just needs to be wrapped. My days are relaxed, no rushing around for me. DH returns at 6 and we spend evenings doing a puzzle or watching a movie.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:21 AM

We retired (I retired 4 years sooner than planned) to move 3200 miles and take care of my mom and a business of renting commercial warehouse type buildings and one small mobile home. I, too, used to get up at 5:30 to get to work by 6:30 AM. So now, I refuse to get up before 7:30 AM. Then I have breakfast and spend too much time here on QB. Many days involve some kind of medical trip for one of the three of us, or some interaction with the property manager, and regular household chores. I go to Bible Study once a week and have homework for that. I dropped out of all church activities where it's solely women involved and find I'm happy doing what I want in any "free" time. Mom care involves a lot of hours, so it's my major job right now. No, I do not miss work. I do miss the kids.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:24 AM

The beginning of your post is exactly how I spend my morning. After I finish my coffee and morning 1/2 muffin I check the quilting board and email. Then I do my exercises for my back and hip/sciatic nerve problem. Then I take my morning meds and get dressed. It is now about 8:30. At this point my day can vary from reading, quilting, baking cookies/brownies for the church mission visitation team, riding my recumbent bicycle while watching a TV series, exercising on my wii, back to sewing and begin thinking about dinner. After dinner and wheel of fortune, about 7:00, my DH and I play scrabble while watching TV on my Samsung Galaxy3 tablet. At 9:30 is it time to get my morning coffee ready for brewing, take my evening meds, turn on my heating mattress pad and be ready for bed at 10:30 only to wake and start all over again. Of course, in between these routine days are errands to run and grandkids to watch or chauffeur around. At this point my health issues are not critical and God has been good to me.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

I get up about 6am. I let my dogs out and start the coffee. I make breakfast and then shower. I watch the news on Fox and Friends...They are the best for news because they tell the truth about what is going on in this crazy world. I then straighten out the house and then go over to my sewing room. On Wednesdays I go to the thrift stores with my neighbor and friend. We usually make a day of it. I also do yard work and whatever needs done outside. I often say I don't know how I ever worked because there is just not enough time to do all the things I want to do.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:35 AM
Power Poster

I retired for a year and decided I was too young to retire. I work with my Husband, Son and Daughter.
During the year of retirement and making 18 quilts, cooking, cleaning and such I decided to return to work. Husband and I have worked together for half our marriage so we spend lots of time together. I sew in the evenings and weekends along with doing chores. Husband does yard work or whatever he wants. He does not plan to retire, he has no hobbies, as for me don't know if I will ever retire unless he does. Still working and taking care of dog, three cats and a bird, housework etc. I still have lots to do but, am able to make 17-15 quilts per year. I'm not a people person and enjoy being alone and sewing.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:31 AM

Howdy, Ellie Girl. Frankly, I do "piddly" things and I don't care for retirement one bit. I have an illness that wears me out, so I do something for a few minutes, then I rest for several more. Where are those golden years I heard so much about. If it wasn't for church activities, I'd really go bonkers.
Dodee
Old 12-11-2013, 09:01 AM

Been retired since 1999 and when asked "what do you do all day" I say, "whatever the heck I want". As I grow older my days go by quicker. I get up at 6:30, drink coffee on the porch and watch the sun rise. I go to exercise 3x a week and belong to a quilting guild. I can truly say that I am never bored and when I am bored I am thinking too much of myself, so try to do something nice for someone. I feel blessed that I am healthy and can still do things.
Old 12-11-2013, 09:07 AM

I retired 7 years ago after teaching 33 years. Now I get up when I want and go to bed when I want unless I have commitments that I have made. I volunteer on several committees with the Houston Police Department and one of them meets at 7 a.m. one day a week. Sometimes, if I have slept late the day before, I will just stay up all night, go to the meeting, and then enjoy the luxury of a nap. Fridays I pick up great niece and nephew from school. I am available for chauffering: dentist appointments, special projects, etc. Neighbors that work will sometimes ask me if I can meet a repairperson or get a delivery for them - I am always glad to do that if possible as they all watch out for me and help me so much. I love being able to travel when I want. Retirement is wonderful!
Old 12-11-2013, 09:15 AM

No alarm here, I get up when I wake up. The first thing I do is take care of any business (appts., errands, phone calls, etc). Next is a little breakfast. After breakfast, maybe a little cleaning, maybe not. I have found out that if I don't bother the dust bunnies, they don't bother me. Then it's on to sewing until I get frustrated. I'll probably stay on this routine for a few months then I'll throw in exercise for a few months and then the routine starts again. I always seem to find something to keep me occupied. No need to work part-time unless I need the cash.