Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Virtual quilting weekend—November 9-13, 2023 >
  • Virtual quilting weekend—November 9-13, 2023

• Virtual quilting weekend—November 9-13, 2023

Old 11-11-2023, 04:29 AM

I managed to get half the blocks sewn into rows and 3 rows sewn together on the 3D quilt. I was afraid it was going to be a bear to sewn the blocks together but turned out it was no problem at all. I needed to work out a few kinks as to which was the best way to press seams but I'm happy it is coming together so easily. Took yesterday afternoon to spend time with the Hubs at an Antique Collectible Market and rescued and Kim Diehl book and 63 well made Court House Step blocks, all done in my favorite colors, for $35. It was too good a deal to pass up. I'm off to work today but hope to finish another row or two this evening. It's really interesting to see what everyone is working on.
    Old 11-11-2023, 05:02 AM

Everyone is so productive! I did manage to sort my solid scraps by color-Yea! The tub fell over, so I decided it was time to organize. I needed some solids for the middles of the Color Wash blocks anyway! The blocks are on my design wall in rows by color in order to sort and see which fabrics I've already used. I have a lot of blues!
    And, I finalized the design for my temperature quilt!! I ordered the fabric line from Jordans-iridescent/shimmery. I chose to examine the temperatures on my birthdate-which actually ranged from 40s to 90s here in south Texas in October!
    Old 11-11-2023, 05:45 AM

Well I was working away last night and ran out of bobbin thread... I have a t-shirt that says "It's all fun and games until the bobbin runs out"... Anyway, it was one of those times when everything was working fine, but it isn't any more. I tried rethreading several times before I decided that it was too late and I should just walk away until today. This is my new small take to class machine that I don't know very well. The bottom stitches look lovely, the top does too but the top thread will pull out way too easily.

I have this superstition about doing all the work for a quilt on the same machine. I will try simply rethreading one more time before I start dialing knobs and such, and then it will be time to set up my Cranky Bernie (modern/computerized bernina 820) which I want to do anyway. Cranky Bernie has had a long rest but had been serviced before spending the last roughly 2 years in storage/waiting mode. Hoping to not have any problems... but still have trusty old vintage Remy (Remington badged machine) as option 3.
    Old 11-11-2023, 06:03 AM

I'm reading about everyone's progress, so I'll join the fun! I finished long-arming and attached binding to a small-moderate size animal block quilt and I attached borders and started quilting on a scrap baby/doll quilt. A friend stopped by and dropped off a big quilt started by her sister years ago: "just wants to have it done!" I don't know why she stopped: it's beautiful (purple and green LeMoyne stars) and she's already marked what quilting patterns she wants in the borders/sashings/corners of the star blocks. It will take a while to get it ready to load on the long arm though and since it's so big it will take a while just quilting. Guess I have a reputation for taking other people's abandoned projects and making them whole.
    Old 11-11-2023, 06:39 AM

Am enjoying seeing what you gals are up to. I won't be participating as we are leaving on a Branson trip tomorrow and won't be back until Friday, November 17. Then on Saturday, our small quilt group are gathering to have a potluck and make barn quilts.
    Our get together will be in the gym of a church school and there are only 8 of us. I am making the one with the cardinal on. Am looking forward to it. Have a good weekend.
    Old 11-11-2023, 06:50 AM

1) I have a client quilt that I'm putting sunshine on (Leah Day "Rise & Shine" pattern)
    2) I'd like to get a personal project on the longarm -- a scrappy blue, green & yellow Queen for our bed* - which is just going to get some overall swirls
    3) I also have a gift for a family member that I'd like to get quilted and bound before Thanksgiving. This one might be a stretch, but a girl's gotta dream...

----------------

* Can I just vent for a moment? -- those of you who don't like whining can just move along. I had purchased some African Wax fabric at a Antique store while on road trip in 2022. 10 yards for $35 (I know you're all just "Yes! It had to come home with you") I was piecing it for the backing - I wanted to pattern match because it is a BIG pattern and just sewing it together would be a total eyesore... Mentioned plans to hubby and he absolutely balked at the thought of this on our bed. I'm just so hurt...I;m trying to use stash, spend less $, it has a memory. Perhaps not perfect, but this scrappy was going to be a 2-3 year placeholder until I could make something else. Grump-grump-grump
    Old 11-11-2023, 08:52 AM

Hey all,
    I'm working on a painted mandala quilt. I'm still doing the dye-painting and it's slow going because I need to stop and let the dye dry after each section. I'm still trying to get my Around We Go quilt ditched. Ran into a problem with my bobbin thread that I need to sort out, between that and carpal tunnel issues, my quilting has slowed way down- can only do a few minutes at a time without setting it off. I'm starting to wonder if I might need to switch to quilting on a frame system rather than my Sweet Sixteen. I'm also working on scrappy paper pieced blocks that Brenda from conquering mount scrap more designed.

Thanks for hosting Heather.

rob
    Old 11-11-2023, 10:24 AM

Didn't do much sewing yesterday. I mostly just cut squares and triangles that will pieced together for those last 6 Jewel Box Star blocks. I did get some hand sewing done on my hexi quilt. Today, I'm just about ready to head to my sewing/dining room. Hopefully, I'll get those blocks knocked out today and can start putting the blocks into rows.
    Old 11-11-2023, 11:53 AM

Yay! Figured out the bobbin issue with the Eversewn, there was a little thread goobie in the bobbin case slit where the thread goes through, probably left from winding the bobbin. Once that was removed the bobbin behaved as it should -- that is not just drop to the floor when inside the case.

(didn't have much luck setting up Cranky Bernie... probably best just to say nothing since nothing nice is coming to me)

I got all my pre-pinned halves sewn. Have 8 more sets that need to be pinned and sewn.

Today's picture shows the first 4 blocks so you can see the "spiderweb" part complete between the 4-pointed stars.
    Attached Thumbnails 100_6430.jpg  
    Old 11-11-2023, 05:59 PM

Just some x-stitching while riding the truck. Did not have room for one of the quilts. We managed to get everything we needed done before the rain and snow got here. It seems like every time we come over here we have questionable weather.
    We'll be back home tomorrow and I can get back to the sewing machine.