Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Virtual quilting weekend—November 23-26, 2023 >
  • Virtual quilting weekend—November 23-26, 2023

• Virtual quilting weekend—November 23-26, 2023

Old 11-24-2023, 05:42 AM

Well, I hope everyone enjoyed Turkey Day! I had the best visit with my family at cousin's house for our gathering. This afternoon, we are gathering at 2nd cousin's new home--to make Christmas cookies!! -Lizzies-(I'll post recipe in appropriate thread)
    After coffee, I'm planning to chug away on Temp Quilt. I didn't make a pattern, just a drawing. So, I'm creating rows, but not sure how I will join them. I have 2 of 6 completed!
    Old 11-24-2023, 06:13 AM

I got my goal done yesterday of connecting my small leftover pieces to long enough pieces to use in my border. That was about all I did. We had a quiet day, made our pizzas and hubby watched a lot of football. The cheese heads smothered and covered the Lions! The Seahawks didn't fare so well either.

Today I'm going to divide what I did yesterday into four sets and spend a tiny bit of organizing time and put it all in a box out of the way of the Bonnie hunter project. I may be able to come back to it periodically, but I might not so will also write a note to myself. Really speeds up the process of "now,where was I"??

And then time to make HSTs of dark blue/neutrals!

Hope everyone is warm and well
    Old 11-24-2023, 11:34 AM

Been working on quilt on design wall. Lots of progress. It’s scrappy. I was spending a lot of time spreading like fabrics across the quilt. Gave up on that much control and just started sewing together sub-units. Besides, I’ve still got a cold and my brain is at 1/2 function.
    Old 11-24-2023, 12:03 PM

I got the binding ready to be sewn on my silk embroidery pieces, but it will be a while before I complete them because I’m under the weather right now.
    Old 11-24-2023, 02:08 PM

Not much sewing so far today. We had to get the kids to the airport at 4 AM for their 6 AM flight. DH drove so I had to stay home, but didn't go back to sleep until he got back. Finally had brunch around 10 then quick run to my moms to check on her. On the way home we decided to go to a Asia mall that we found just to see what was there and to walk. Outside temps are in the low 20's. Got home around 3:30 so decided on a early diner. Now it's too dark to take a picture of yesterdays quilt.
    So I'm going to work on some donation quilts from church.
    Will check back latter.
    Old 11-24-2023, 06:00 PM

Two quilts finished for Church will drop them off on Sunday. Going to go through a pattern for a quilt designer tonight while watching a movie with husband. So far it has been a productive day.
    Old 11-25-2023, 01:54 AM

Had errands yesterday (Dr, DMV, donations) so some but not a lot of progress
    1- floral scrappy center is finished. Needs borders to contain the visual chaos. Navy to the rescue!
    2- brown hst scrappy binding cut, ironed and sewed to the back. Corners have clips on and it should be a short job to finish tomorrow
    3- since I'm doing borders on #1 I might get my T-shirt ufo MIL and get that one bordered tomorrow as well.
    4 - need to wind bobbins for client quilt.

My squirrel brain is trying to convince me to do a log cabin in browns. I also have a bunch of project Linus fabric that I took and I think some of it needs to go back.
    Old 11-25-2023, 04:11 AM

I'm working on making quilted project bags that can be used to take your stitching along with you in the car, or will keep you current project clean while not being worked on. As a quilter and cross stitcher, there is always something my hands are busy with. I've worked the pattern up myself and will make a large one 17" x 13" and one smaller than that. Also thinking about making needle books with coordinating fabric. Some may end up as Christmas presents for friends.
    Old 11-25-2023, 04:55 AM

Our Thanksgiving dinner included the oldest son, bubby and myself. My son's wife is with her family since her mother is dying and Hospice has been brought onboard. My son stayed home to take care of the dogs.

I found some time yesterday to join rows on my 3D cube quilt. Two rows will finish up the top today. Not sure if I will layer and quilt it or set it aside and begin something new. Hmmmm, decisions!
    Old 11-25-2023, 05:14 AM

Another big football game for the hubby today, Michigan vs Ohio State. I'm hoping to get through my first Bonnie Hunter clue of the year. I selected fabrics and cut strips yesterday, today I will make sets of HST.

I'm still happy we made our big move, but here it is 6 months later and I'm still not unpacked and it is getting to me... We've gotten a lot done but still have a ways to go.

So for the rest of the VQW I'll have to do some more organizing and restacking the fabric bins tomorrow as well as being able to cover the sewing work table. The closets in the downstairs/sewing room I've been trying to get built since August will finally be started on Monday. Hooray, that means the fabric will be able to be stored in one, and the other one will store other items like seasonal decorations and such. With the fabric in its new place, then the stereo can be set up and there shall be music again.

After the closets, the next big thing will be replacing the under kitchen cabinet lighting that is there but doesn't work for whatever reasons. Took us awhile but we have found the proper switch and that it has power. That will let me be able to unpack the dishes and stuff, didn't want to load up the shelves to snake through new wires and such if needed. I really like under cabinet lighting and I really need it over my sink which is not placed with a window. When you stand at the sink your body casts a shadow from the ceiling lights.

The new house is a split level, the final much anticipated fix for this year will be a shelf on top of the part wall between the stairs and the living room and a handrail placed going up. There is a handrail going down into the basement/sewing room. Right now the partial wall is just wallboard and attracts hand prints on the paint. Want a harder surface/less grubby solution