Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wavy border, to redo or not? >
  • Wavy border, to redo or not?

• Wavy border, to redo or not?

Old 01-28-2010, 11:16 AM

Since you have decided not to re-do, maybe you can stuff the thin border a bit to puff it up so it doesn't look quite so wavy.
    Old 01-28-2010, 12:04 PM

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful quilt. I don't have anything to suggest to you that hasn't been said. It is what you can live with. But I have learned so much from your question I hope it will make my quilts better in the future!
    Old 01-28-2010, 12:12 PM

i. too, would quilt a bit more on the wavy section to pull it in. but don't go overboard. you'd be surprised how much gets eaten up that way, especially when washed. then i would kiss it, and it would be all better.

btw, beautiful quilt.
    Old 01-28-2010, 12:18 PM

I think your quilt is just beautiful!! I think everyone has those little things that we see about our own work that bugs us. Has there ever been one that was just "perfect"? And you're definitely right, every one just gets better and better!! Great work, you should be really proud of yourself!
    Old 01-28-2010, 01:00 PM

Thank you all for your posts! This board is so friendly and helpful. I've learned so much in just the couple of weeks I've been reading here.

While the kids napped this afternoon I steam pressed the borders then laid it out with the backing and batting. Actually got the basting done while the kids still slept. (They took a fabulous nap today!) I was happy with how much of the wave was pulled out just with the basting. I'll do a little extra quilting in the big border and hopefully it won't be too noticable when all is said and done.
    Old 01-28-2010, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by amma
    Are your fabrics prewashed? If not, they may shrink and the waviness may not be as noticeable.
    I like to starch all of my fabrics and it seems to help keep this from being a problem. I am one who does not always measure properly...and I do glue baste my borders,which also helps keep the waves away.
    These fabrics actually aren't prewashed. I normally would prewash but when I bought the 30's fabric last year I bought it as precut 5" squares. I didn't want to wash little squares (didn't even know if you should) so I figured I would go the non prewashed route with this quilt and wash the whole thing at the end. I'm going to use about 40 dye catchers though and pray the pinks and reds don't bleed into the white!
    Old 01-28-2010, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by BKinCO
    HEY! You CANNOT steal my title, that of Justification Queen :)

However, I will share it with you
    :lol: :lol:

I did something similar yesterday, however my quilt was not nearly as perfect and detailed as yours...my justification was that it was for an 8 year old boy (my son as well, so not even a gift for someone else's kid) and he'd never notice even though I'm sure it'll drive me nuts every time I see the binding....

BUT, it's DONE and at this point that's all I care about :)

So, I give you full permission to just move on to your next project ! :thumbup:
    LoL, I will gladly share your title, though I very often hold a different title, that of Queen Of Denial. :) Normally I would be saying, "Waves, what waves? I see no waves in that border." :)
    Old 01-28-2010, 03:06 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

Originally Posted by kbiederman
    I think your quilt is just beautiful!! I think everyone has those little things that we see about our own work that bugs us. Has there ever been one that was just "perfect"? And you're definitely right, every one just gets better and better!! Great work, you should be really proud of yourself!
    ditto!
    Old 01-28-2010, 03:35 PM

My nurse daughter told my husband "If you're calling me to see if you should go to the emergency room, then you should go to the emergency room!"

I think the same applies here, if you need to ask if you should do it over, then you know inside your heart that you should do it over.
    Old 01-28-2010, 04:30 PM

If it were up to me, I'd put it away for a week, and then come back, rather then do something you'd regret.