Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A couple newbie questions about applique >

A couple newbie questions about applique

A couple newbie questions about applique

Old 03-02-2010, 08:04 PM

http://appliquetoday.blogspot.com/20...-tutorial.html

This might help.
Old 03-02-2010, 09:50 PM

Thank you for the link, that is how I do needle turn. But have never heard or seen "turn fusible applique". Is it just that you use fusible to hold the fabric to the background, but just cut it larger than you would normal fusible and then turn the edge under?.
Originally Posted by JanieW
Old 03-03-2010, 07:06 AM

shaverg,

oops, I was responding to the OP. I have no idea how one would do fusible turn applique.

I have done the applique where you use freezer paper on the right side of the fabric with a 3/8 " border and turn as you go using the freezer paper as a guide for turning, but I can't see how you could do needle turn with a fusible webbing.

I also use Stable Magic which is cool as the stabilizer washes away so there's no stress on the stitches trying to remove it.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:45 AM

Since I don't do it this way, I'm assuming that like in the freezer paper method its to stabilize the pattern, then iron the edges back around and iron shape down onto the fabric (that way you wouldn't need pins) and then sew a decorative stitching around. The only thing with using a stabilizer is it does make your applique stiffer on the quilt top, unless you choose the water soluable kind (which I don't have any experience with).
Old 03-03-2010, 09:58 AM

The freezer paper on top method does not require you to iron down the freezer paper to get the applique edge. The paper is on top of the right side of the fabric. it is used as a guide to needle turn, then peeled off once the applique is complete.

Scroll down part way on this site to see a picture and a better explanation than I can give.

http://www.allaboutapplique.net/cate...back-applique/
Old 03-03-2010, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by shaverg
Originally Posted by penny doty
I did the turn fusable applaque today and it turned out to be really easy. I did satin stich around it.
I am not sure I understand this method. I have done fusible and the machine appliqued, didn't care for machine applique. Can you explain turn fusible?
Well I haven't done any applique yet, so I may have this totally wrong, but this is how I understand the fusible method to work; You cut your shape out of the fusible (with an added seam allowance) and pin that to the right side of your fabric. Sew the fusible to the fabric. Now cut a little slit in the fusible and turn the piece right side out. At this point you can cut out most of the fusible so you don't have that extra bulk and rigid stuff in your quilt. Place it on your background fabric and I guess you can iron it in place, or just sew it down however.

I think the biggest benefit to this method is you don't have any raw edges but it's much quicker than needle turn. I think though that you are limited in this method to larger, less detailed pieces. I don't see how it would work very well with intricate pieces. I may be wrong though. Wouldn't be the first time! :)
Old 03-03-2010, 10:23 AM

The method of how to applique has a lot to do with how much time and effort you want to spend on making the quilt.

Those of you who quilt often know what I am talking about.

:D

I like doing things the old fashioned way so needless to say...I do it the hard way.

Nice to meet all of you.

To the ladies who posted photographes they are inspiring!!!!!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:25 AM

Thanks Penny, I may try that on my next applique. Now I understand you are just sewing it to the right side, not fusing it, that makes sense.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:29 AM

I didn't see where anyone answered the question on what needles to use for needle turn applique, but I like straw needles. they are fine (small eye's though) and longer than a traditional needle. I use them for everything I hand sew. Actually, last night I was sewing on a label and grabbed one of my old, regular needles. It felt HUGE, I'll definately go back to my straw needles.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:54 AM

I use milliners or sharps needles 10 or 11. The brand I use is Richard Hemming and son. Sorry thought I put it in an earlier post.
Originally Posted by Rachel
I didn't see where anyone answered the question on what needles to use for needle turn applique, but I like straw needles. they are fine (small eye's though) and longer than a traditional needle. I use them for everything I hand sew. Actually, last night I was sewing on a label and grabbed one of my old, regular needles. It felt HUGE, I'll definately go back to my straw needles.