Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Doing a craft fair! >

Doing a craft fair!

Doing a craft fair!

Old 03-17-2010, 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by starlight
My DH and I do several craft shows each year. You want to have a variety but not so much so that the people are overwhelmed. Unfortunately what will sell at one show may not sell at another. Don't forget to take yourself something to sit on and water in a cooler. If you plan to do future shows make sure that you keep track of what did sell and those things that people did like or improvements and changes that people might like. If there is time before the show you might want to walk around to see what other prices are so that you will know if you are inline with others. We are just starting our research for any new items that we will add this year. My DH does woodworking and I do sewing and quilting. I find that my baby quilts and grandma's paddles sell the best. Try to have everything visible and easy to get to. Change is a must. We use cloths for our tables in plain colors.
May I ask what Grandma's paddles are? Are these done in wood by your husband?
Hugs
April
Old 03-17-2010, 06:02 AM

Originally Posted by dsj
Hi, I am from the Boro. The Fiddlers Jamboree!! That is a great bluegrass festival. Let me know what booth you will be at I will stop by and say hi. You will have a blast there. You need to come to Uncle Dave Macon Days in the Boro in July. I demonstrate there in April and October. If you are looking for more ideas you should set up there for there spring opening in April. Contact Cannonsburg Village through the Parks and Recreation Dept. I think it is pretty reasonable to set up very minimal fee. It might help you figure out what you want to sell.

I demonstrate basketry, quilting, bedrugs, and tatting there also at Ellington Agricultural Center on Edmonson Pike in Nashville, they are always looking for craftsmen for their events. If you are interested contact the museum and ask for Ann Dale she will help you. Good luck to you.
sounds like you will have fun
Old 03-17-2010, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by dsj
Hi, I am from the Boro. The Fiddlers Jamboree!! That is a great bluegrass festival. Let me know what booth you will be at I will stop by and say hi. You will have a blast there. You need to come to Uncle Dave Macon Days in the Boro in July. I demonstrate there in April and October. If you are looking for more ideas you should set up there for there spring opening in April. Contact Cannonsburg Village through the Parks and Recreation Dept. I think it is pretty reasonable to set up very minimal fee. It might help you figure out what you want to sell.

I demonstrate basketry, quilting, bedrugs, and tatting there also at Ellington Agricultural Center on Edmonson Pike in Nashville, they are always looking for craftsmen for their events. If you are interested contact the museum and ask for Ann Dale she will help you. Good luck to you.
OMG!!! SOmeone local! We got to Uncle Dave Macon Days every year! It's so much fun! This is the first year that I'm trying to be a vendor though.

Such great advice guys, thanks so much!
Old 03-17-2010, 08:21 AM
dsj

mrsj82, If you need an event in the fall The Music and Molasses Festival is so much fun to do, If you haven't been there it is the same weekend that Bell Buckle has the Crafts Fair, unfortunately but it is fun. It is held at Ellington Agricultural Center off of Edmonson Pike in Nashville. Contact the Museum and they will send you the info for vendors. Talk to Sally, Terri, or Ann Dale. I demonstrate in the Pioneer village. They are always looking for new vendors. If I don't see you at the Fiddlers Jamboree I will see you at Uncle Dave Macon Days. Don't forget Cannonsburg has their Spring event coming up in April, you could set up then very minimal cost. Just to get a feel for it. I will be demonstrating in the village on the Lehman Cabin front porch, at least come and say hi.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:43 PM

So here's a list of what I've preliminarilly decided to make and charge. Take a look and tell me what you think.

potholders-----$5
table runners-----$35
doll quilts-----$20
baby quilts------$45
twin size-------$100
totes--------$25
quilt kits (Pre-cut, illustrated quilt pattern 40''X49'') $35
bookmarks------$3

I may be adding/removing thing, but for now this list plays to my strengths let me know what you think
Old 03-17-2010, 07:36 PM

DSJ, I'm in the Boro too. What is the Spring thing? I try to get to Uncle Dave Macon every year, but may have to change my work schedule this year.
MMMMMM....funnel cakes and fresh squeezed Lemonade. Can't wait!
Carol B
Old 03-17-2010, 09:02 PM
dsj

Originally Posted by ctack2
DSJ, I'm in the Boro too. What is the Spring thing? I try to get to Uncle Dave Macon every year, but may have to change my work schedule this year.
MMMMMM....funnel cakes and fresh squeezed Lemonade. Can't wait!
Carol B
It's coming up in April I think it's the weekend of the 17-18. If you contact Cannonsburg they can tell for sure.
Old 03-17-2010, 09:08 PM
dsj

I think your prices look good and I like the idea of the quilt kits. Totes are very popular. You have a nice variety of things. I do know this the shoppers at Cannonsburg like things under $10. Check out some craft fairs that are coming up and see what's selling. I know Smyrna has a crafts fair coming up and Lavergne's Old Timers day is coming up too.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:05 PM

Mrsj82 your list looks very good and you have been given some great advice & ideas. What about hot pads the sz of a 9X13 pan so it doesn't harm your table or cabinet? A lot of casseroles are made in that sz pan.

Casserole Carriers might be another item. There are free patterns on the net. Just google them. Great to carry to potlucks, Guild meetings, etc.

Aprons are good. Pillow Cases for Children in kid prints. Even some in a print for Teens.
Old 03-17-2010, 10:26 PM

Do you have business cards just in case someone wants to contact you later, maybe to order a BB quilt or table runner or get a quilt kit? Whenever I see something I like at a craft show, I always write on the back of the vendors card what it was they were selling and why I liked it so I know which vendor they were.