Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Couple of long arm questions >

Couple of long arm questions

Couple of long arm questions

Old 03-18-2010, 08:50 AM

Which quilt shop is it? Maybe it's close enough to me (I'm in Brooklyn Park)
It sounds like a great idea, I'd like to learn to LAQ, but certainly don't have the space for one!!
Thanks!
~Heather
Old 03-18-2010, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by sbanks156
Gammills are a lot different than tin lizzies.

Check out Linda Taylor's website and see what she charges.
I tried to charge $20 an hour and no fee for training but no business. Everyone out here prefers to fight with their domestics so I have sold my machine.
I don't have a LA, so I don't have a lot of knowledge about them. What are the differences beween domestic machines and other kinds? I'm not sure what the LQS uses, so I want to be well educated before I do this adventure.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:21 AM

Now, I live in a little podunk town in Montana where you pretty much know a large amount of the population or at least their face. The quilt shop there rents out their Gammill for $50.00 a day and she doesn't care if you have had classes or not. As far as I know, there hasn't been a problem.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:48 AM

Very interesting re: prices for instruction then by hour to do your own projects.
However ... being a "short-arm" machine quilter, I find time loading quilt on
rollers is much less than quoted and time to finish quilting even with row-by-row pantographs takes longer. My first machine was used, owner gave me
2 hours instruction, and I used it for over 8 years, garnering 25 customers by
using Internet, etc. Present machine is a Singer with new 10 ft. Gammill
table and I love it ! Needless to say, my prices are much lower than seen
elsewhere, but I consider this a "hobby" ... and "pin money". Good luck to all
quilters with whatever machine you purchase.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:40 AM

Wow!!! Seems pretty expensive to me.
One of the LQS here has the training for 50bucks...then you can rent the machine for the whole day for 50 bucks or 25 for half the day...
But...if you take the training and don't come in within a month to use the machine, you have to be re-trained.
For that kind of money I would put it towards getting my quilt professionaly done.
Kirsten
Old 03-18-2010, 01:22 PM

I'm just getting started on my home quilter and all of this is so interesting. I'm going to do pantograph on the quilts I donate and let the pro keeping quilting my special ones. I've had my machine 4 yrs and have just now worked up my nerve to try it.
Old 03-18-2010, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by MNQuilter
So there is a new LQS in town and they have two Gammill's that you can rent out by the hour. You need to take their certification first. Makes complete sense so far. I don't know of any other place in this area that does this. I know there are several places you can send/bring your quilts for them to do, but not yourself.

So here are my questions: If anyone has experience with a set up like this, what was the charge for the training? They charge $150 which is a 1:1 training. Rental afterwards is $26.50/hour. Do these prices seem reasonable?

I am in the same situation that you have. NO ROOM!!
My next question is, about how long does it take you to long arm a quilt? I'm thinking even simple edge to edge panto's. Say for a single quilt. I realize that it takes longer at first than once you get the hang of it. I'm just kinda wondering how much time and money and if it is worth it. I'm actually really intrigued by the idea since I have NO room for a long arm. Thanks!
Old 03-18-2010, 06:51 PM

I went with a friend when she rented a long arm to do a king
size quilt. She has a mid-arm at home so she was used to
putting in the machine etc. If you do this, I would suggest you take a friend with you. It really helps and takes less time. It seemed to me once the quilt was put on the machine, the quilting was the easy part. I don't remember the "deal" but I think it cost her about $60 to quilt her quilt. Not bad at all.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:31 PM

My LQS has two Handi Quilters with Pro Stitchers which you can rent time on. She rents to one person per machine for the day and charges based on the size of the quilt. I think a twin is $60, Full/queen $80 and it goes from there.

I have used the machines several times and she has given me a break for the charity quilts I do. When the machine is not rented, I have the option to 'play' with it and will barter time with her for work she needs done in the shop. So, rather than pay me, I get to use the long arm.

I have only done pantographs and agree that it can take up to 8 hours. It is important to pick a design that covers a large area to expedite the time quilting. Loading is a real pain, but I'm done in about an hour now.

Diane
Old 03-18-2010, 11:43 PM

Hmmmm.. I have a Tin Lizzy 18... Loading isn't bad, but to think you are going to master the art of long arm and finish a quilt in two hours?

Maybe I am slow.

Kathy, Come to California with a stack of quilt sandwiches and a bucket of thread. I'll bet you could make it worth your while including airfare. Oh yeah, bring your friend Patrice. We'll have a good time (and I might get my toe back)

Of course you'll get fat eating my cooking.

tim in san jose