Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Turning Salmon into Salmon Patties? >

Turning Salmon into Salmon Patties?

Turning Salmon into Salmon Patties?

Old 04-01-2010, 07:57 AM

I make salmon cakes using bread crumbs, lemon juice, worstshire (sp); egg and parlsey. I also freeze the cake for 30 minutes before frying in butter or PAM. The freezing helps them to hold together. I do the same thing when making crab cakes.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
Carol's Quilts, that was too sweet of you to actually go hunting on the web for a recipe for me! I could have done that myself, but I so appreciate that you not only found a recipe, you checked to see that it's one that people like. Thank you!

marsye, I expected the patties to look pinkish, but never mind, the whole thing looks pretty d*mn appetizing!

And now I should confess that my salmon pattie experiment has to be put on hold for a few weeks due to my personal situation suddenly becoming chaos - for a good reason, though I'd rather not post the details on the web.

However, just as soon as I'm somewhat settled, I'm looking forward to trying my hand at making a salmon pattie or burger.
Lisanne - Hope you know we all wish you well in handling whatever chaotic situation you're having. Come back soon, and be sure to let us know how your salmon patties come out!
Old 04-01-2010, 09:29 AM

Leave the juice, bones, & skin in they are very nutritional and enhance the taste.

In the South we have salmon and eggs with grits.

Never met a Salmon or Sweet Potato I didn't like.

JBJ137
Old 04-01-2010, 09:34 AM

I use cooked salmon, (baked, poached, canned, whatever) and mix it just like a meatloaf (chopped onion, egg, garlic, salt pepper, bread or cracker crumbs). Pat it out into patties and brown in a hot skillet...

Well...I used to. I'm allergic to salmon now, and even to handle the dishcloth that hubby uses to clean up with after he's fixed salmon makes me break out in hives... :(
Old 04-01-2010, 10:10 AM

I make them quite often too. I use canned salmon and add crushed crackers (put in a ziplock and roll with my rolling pin), add an egg, some seasoning and fry them in olive oil. I'm a bit picky though, I always take out the bones even though I know they won't do any harm. They are yummy!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Lisanne
There are bones in canned salmon? Maybe I won't try it after all. Thanks for the heads up, though.

No peas. No peas! I just hate peas.
Yep, Bones. That's why I now have to make salmon patties out of tuna for my kids. I just make it like salmon patties, egg, a little mustard, mayo, and saltine crackers only I use tuna instead of salmon. We have it with peas and fried potatoes.
Old 04-01-2010, 12:40 PM

We are pretty burned out on Salmon but still think it is healthy to add to our regular diet . . . so this is how we normally have it. Taken from Recipezaar #125957.

Salmon Potato Patties
14 3/4 ounces canned salmon
1 1/2 cups cold mashed potatoes (no gravy,pls)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temp., divided
1/4 cup ritz crackers, crushed (can use matzo meal)
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 yellow onion, finely grated (optional)
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/4-1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest (we use True Lemon crystals)
2 tablespoons light vegetable oil
Drain salmon, leave skin and bones.
Mix everything but the oils and 1 tbsp butter together. Let rest in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
Make all the patties and place them on a plate. If they feel a bit too soft to you from the handling, place back in refrigerator for awhile. Don't make more than recipe calls for or they will be dry on the inside.
Keep them about the size of your palm -- they will be fat -- press down but don't mash flat.
On medium-high, add 1/2 tbls butter and one tbsp oil to coat pan nicely. Swirl butter around.
Fry four patties at a time til golden brown on both sides.
Add rest of butter and 1 tbsp oil. Repeat.

(Note: Usually the night before this meal I plan a meal with mashed potatoes and make plenty for leftovers. When I am putting away the leftover mashed potatoes, I add the canned salmon and mix before putting in the fridge. The next day I add the onion, lemon zest, crackers, egg, salt pepper and get right to cooking and don't have a problem with waiting for the mix to chill in the fridge.)
Old 04-01-2010, 08:51 PM

i do it the way marsye and barb do it. no peas, please. i also leave in the bones. you'll never know they're there. sometimes i slap them on a roll the way you would a hamburger, but with tartar sauce. i don't like fresh fish, so i eat fish this way and actually like it. i add dill or tarragon. if you want to save calories, spray a non-stick skillet, but it's not really the same. everything is better fried. use lots of onion. yum.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:00 PM

Geez, this thread has made me soooooo hungry! I finely chop onions and green bell peppers to add to mine...along with Louisiana Red Hot Sauce and lemon juice...I use crushed Ritz crackers and egg. Coat the patties in a cornmeal/flour/salt/pepper mixture and pat it in and then coat again...panfry in olive oil for taste and lower temp. By the way, these can be frozen after cooking and will be almost as good as the day they were made. We've been known to mix and fix 6 cans at once...one mess and many quick meals makes me a happy girl! I leave the bones in and remove the skin...the cats love the juice from the cans.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:31 PM
Power Poster

Hand flake the fresh salmon, that way you can feel and pick out the bones. I squeeze some lemon juice on the salmon, add and egg or two, dill, salt, pepper and crackers, sometimes garlic. You want the consistency similar to meatloaf. Form it into patties and fry. It doesn't take long to cook, as soon as it is lightly browned, it is done. I am going to try the cracker crumbs next time :D:D:D

I like fresh better than canned, it isn't as strong smelling or tasting.