Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Oprah, Monique and her brother -!!!! >
  • Oprah, Monique and her brother -!!!!

• Oprah, Monique and her brother -!!!!

Old 04-20-2010, 07:47 AM

Most women that have been abused in any form are well aware that they're not alone.
    I think the show is not only a bid for ratings, for Monique, it's a bid for sympathetic publicity... (now that I know who she is...roughly)
    Old 04-21-2010, 03:48 AM

But here's my question --- do YOU really want to see this type of show??? What's the point???? And the parents are in the audience....OMG - can you imagine!!!

No! I DON'T!!. There is too much sensationalism on tv expecially. Oprah is after ratings again. There are fewer and fewer programs on anymore that are wholesome. We are not sticking our heads in the sand but do not want our minds to be poisoned and de sensatized (sp) any more%$#@

:evil:
    Old 04-21-2010, 05:30 AM

For some reason I watched that show. I haven't seen Mo'Nique in anything, TV or movies, but I guess I was morbidly curious. I still don't know how I feel about the show. I think I am feeling sorry for Mo'Nique because it seemed to me that her brother and her parents were feeling a lot of resentment toward her. I was appalled when he admitted that he had molested someone else. I may be mistaken about that because I was changing a babies diaper. But he seemed to think that people should have felt sorry for him. I just can't do that!
    Old 04-21-2010, 07:10 AM

while there is no doubt that ratings rule in television, i feel that oprah has been as honest and straightforward as it gets in daytime t.v. world. many people take even her generous giving as an "act". this confounds me. it is my personal opinion that women of the world (it is up to us to protect the world, especially children) should look closely at other women for what they stand for, be kind and supportive to one another. we who are fortunate to not have experienced abuse may find these type of shows distasteful. someone else may find a way to handle their own healing by viewing on oprah vs trash tv sensationalism (of which there are many, many shows). these trash tv sensationalist give nothing back to anyone, ever. while it wasnt for me, it is my hope that whomever needed that particular show can find help for themselves.
    Old 04-21-2010, 07:19 AM

I am an Oprah fan but I don't watch every show. I think this show was about closure. I watched part of it.

Ditter
    Old 04-21-2010, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Marjpf
    I think that kind of information is for the courts to hear. I think they are airing it just for the publicity.
    Unfortunately there is a statue of limitations on this type of crime. He can't be prosecuted for it any longer.
    Old 04-21-2010, 11:10 AM
    Banned

I am also an Oprah fan.....I can't say that all of her topics are "easy" to watch..but I really don't think she has to do outrageous things to get ratings. I feel as if she is really honest and she does give alot..whether it be monetarily..or through information. I watched the show....and I think it represents a typical family that was uneducated in the ways of help and dealing with these issues properly. I think that the parents were so dumbfounded and hurt that this could happen they went into denial and are still in some area of denial..Her brother did admit to assaulting his sister..and also another person which he served time. The reason all of this came about is because Monique...admitted that she drew from the pain of her own abuse to play the role of Precious' brutal mom in the role of which she gained an oscar.

I have to say that it is never easy hearing..talking or watching about this sort of abuse for anyone...survivor or not..these aren't pleasant..but I think as prevelant as this type of abuse is..it is good to learn from other people..even if it is by their mistakes....as it is in the case of these parents. Monique's brother called Oprah....to do the show..she didn't call them....becaue he wanted to clear the air and let their family resume a normal family life...How much denial is he in? After he sexually assaulted his sister for 8 years..How does he expect that anything could ever be normal? I greive for that WHOLE family..they are all victims.
    Old 04-21-2010, 11:13 AM

I don't watch that kind of stuff. Seems too personal to be on national TV. I agree with getting it out in the open but in a doctors office or such not on national TV. It puts them in the category of exhibitionists or something.
    Old 04-21-2010, 11:25 AM
    Power Poster

No,i'm tired of all this private stuff. I don't need to know that. beside I'm burned out on Oprah!
    Old 04-21-2010, 12:04 PM
    Power Poster

I don't watch Oprah at all. The only place any child molester needs to be is six foot under, not on a national entertainment talk show.