Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Recipes
Cabbage Rolls >

Cabbage Rolls

Cabbage Rolls

Old 10-19-2010, 04:14 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

then do you cook them with a tomato sauce? I make mine this way but I have never considered freezing so many. Probably because I don't have a large freezer. But, I suppose a few dozen at the ready would be good.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:50 AM

Yes, boil the leaves to tender BUT then take a paring knife and shave down the spine, don't cut it out, just shave it thinner to make the leaf pliable to roll your stuffing in it.

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 10-19-2010, 12:00 PM

My Ukrainian mom taught me how to make cabbage rolls but an Hungarian friend helped me tweak them so that they are even better. I like to cook mine in a large dutch oven. First I line the bottom of the pot with pieces of the discarded or small leaves. Then I layer them into the pot but on top of each layer, I place a heaping helping of sauerkraut. When I finish with each layer and have filled the pot, I pour in a large can of tomato juice. Enough so that I can see the juice come up the sides. Cover the pot, turn on the burner to low and then let them bubble and cook away.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:38 PM

I agree with posting above, but we also add some tomato paste and usually add a few stuffed green peppers too for added flavor and we LOVE halupki and stuffed peppers. Love it ALL.

Also, they taste even better a day or 2 after cooking. So if you can keep away from eating when first comes out of the oven, save it for the next day, yummy.

Old 10-19-2010, 12:56 PM

Good idea. Thanks for that tip!

Originally Posted by wraez
Yes, boil the leaves to tender BUT then take a paring knife and shave down the spine, don't cut it out, just shave it thinner to make the leaf pliable to roll your stuffing in it.

Old 10-19-2010, 07:04 PM

I do mine the same as Shequilts only I do depending on how many I have
I use one large can of Tomato soup and 1 Large can of Cream of Mushroom
that was my dads favorite way so fore herself my mom would make a small pan for herself with plain canned tomatoes. Bake in a 350 degree oven for
a couple of hours. I cook the cabbage did its almost done in the boiling water and in the hole where the core would have been you pour in some white vinagar, as the out side leaves are done pull out with thongs place on a platter to cool and keep cooking the cabbage. When leaves are cool enough to handle start rolling while the cabbage cooks.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Catherine Marie
My Ukrainian mom taught me how to make cabbage rolls but an Hungarian friend helped me tweak them so that they are even better. I like to cook mine in a large dutch oven. First I line the bottom of the pot with pieces of the discarded or small leaves. Then I layer them into the pot but on top of each layer, I place a heaping helping of sauerkraut. When I finish with each layer and have filled the pot, I pour in a large can of tomato juice. Enough so that I can see the juice come up the sides. Cover the pot, turn on the burner to low and then let them bubble and cook away.
This is the way our family makes them, too. I thought we were the only ones who made them with sauerkraut! When I was a kid, mom used a whole head of sour cabbage which you can't get any more. Maybe it's still available in Europe. We use a beef and pork combination, onions, garlic, rice, etc. Anyway, we layer the rolls with sauerkraut and the extra cabbage just like you described. We also add kielbasa pieces between each layer, and we don't use tomatoes. After the pot is filled with the cabbage rolls, kraut and kielbasa, we pour in a little water or beef broth and just let the whole thing cook as you described. When it's done, we thicken whatever juice is in the bottom of the pot with a little fat/flour roux (bacon drippings make it delicious) and mix it with the kraut. It's so good - my mouth is watering!
Old 10-22-2010, 02:03 PM

You saved me lots of writing :-) I do the same as you & I cut the ribs out of the leaves...that way, they roll very easy & no toothpicks needed.

Originally Posted by Feather3
I just made 106 of them! I make a years worth at a time. I buy large heads of cabbage. Make sure they are not split. I make up my filling before I start the cabbage. Remove outter leaves. Using a heavy blade knife, I cut around the core & remove it. I then place it in a large pot of boiling water, core end up. The head needs to be completely under the water. It takes a few to several minutes for the leaves to get soft enough to remove. I use tongs to pull the leaves off as they soften. I lay them on a large platter to cool a few minutes. As the leaves soften & start to turn translucent I keep pulling them off. If I need to cut more core out I remove the head from the water(I use a 2 prong meat fork in the core), let the water drain out, set it on cutting board, cut it & put it back in. I use as many leaves as I can, even down to the tiny ones. I make baby sized rolls :). Hate waste. While I wait for leaves to soften in the water I stuff the ones I already took off. Place leaf with stem end towards you. Place your filling in. Fold the sides in (right, then left), then fold the leaf end, then the stem end. Your filling should not squish out. They don't need toothpicks to hold them shut if you fold this way. After I have them all made I divide them up into portions for meals, place them in a plastic bag & freeze them. After 24 hours in the freezer I then put the packages in a paper bag. Paper bags help keep things from getting freezer burn. They'll keep for a full year this way. When you remove them from the freezer let them set at room temp for abut 30 minutes. They'll break apart easy, with no damage. Been doing them this way for over 40 years now.
Old 10-22-2010, 07:09 PM
np3
Power Poster

Sounds good!
Old 10-22-2010, 07:32 PM

I grew up with the liquid mixture being that of vinegar, sugar and water. Have you ever tried them like that? Everyone I know always used the tomato mixture until they tried them this way. It's the way my baba used to make them.