Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Missing packages... has this happened to you? >

Missing packages... has this happened to you?

Missing packages... has this happened to you?

Old 11-24-2010, 03:09 PM

Not that a package went missing, but I got a package I didn't order addressed to me.
Here's what happened:
a local waiter got a copy of our credit card when hubby and I were out to dinner. Figured that he would look up our address and figure out our schedules of being home, etc. Creepy right? His plan was to buy something electronic with our credit card, ship to our house, have access to UPS tracking information so he knew when it would arrive. His plan also included the fact that once I saw the charge on my credit card, I would call up the vendor and say "I never received that." To which their response would have been "Oh yes, it was delivered on February 14."

Well guess what- we had a whopper of a snow storm the night of February 13. I had made the command decision that I was not going to work the next day. I am so greatful that I had that kind of understanding manager. That's when the package arrrived and I foiled the con-man's plans. Since my car was in the driveway, he couldn't come to collect the package he ordered. It was a very nice digital camera, paid for by me and addressed to me. So, immediately - hubby and I cancelled the card, returned the camera to the vendor with an explanation, and read about the con-man's plans the following week in the newspaper. (There were other less-fortunate victims.)
Old 11-24-2010, 03:30 PM

About a month and a half ago I bought a Kittie logo iron on patch from eBay. Never got it. I asked the seller where my item was and he said he sent it out weeks ago, that it must of got lost in the mail, and refunded me my money. The other things I bought from eBay had a tracking number so I could track my item, but this one didn't so I think he had just stuck it in a regular envelope and sent it through the mail.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by np3
I have been on the other end where I've been told it was signed for and I never got it. And there are only 2 of us here. So it does work both ways.
That happened to me with an order from Shopper's Rule. I have no idea who signed, but it sure wasn't DH or me. A lot of our mail goes astray. Carriers confuse 182nd and 180th streets, and our neighbors don't always forward wrongly delivered mail.
Old 11-24-2010, 04:48 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

I’m so glad I live out in the country down a half mile gravel drive and all of our mailboxes are 75yds. down the drive away from the secondary road.

With all these tops and quilts being shipped for the military barracks project, there have been occasions – during really nice weather – when the carrier has left the packages on top of the mailboxes instead of trying to cram them in or bring them down to the house. I’ve had the neighbors call me by cell from the boxes to ask if they can just bring me my mail. It’s wonderful! And the regular carrier has actually left me little notes about the stuff she’s delivered, wondering about the project. Yet, 7 miles away in a different postal area, the residents do nothing but complain about their post office. I hate going there.
Ours feels like the local gathering place, LOL!

Jan in VA
Old 11-24-2010, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Favorite Fabrics
Have you ever ordered something to be shipped to you, and the package went missing?

If so... was it to have been delivered by USPS, FedEx, or UPS?

We had another "learning experience" today :-( regarding package delivery. It was a valuable package, delivered to the proper address and signed for by...? An impostor? A total stranger? Customer says she never received it. The carrier says that as long as they found someone at that address who is over 18 to sign for it (they don't care who signs) they consider it properly delivered, and won't be responsible for it.

I would very much like to know if any of you have had packages "go missing".
I had this happen to me a few years ago, the shop had confirmation of delivery from the driver records but no signature as package was marked 'left at door.' The shop told me it was my loss. I wasn't happy with the lack of support, so I called the credit card company which required the store to refund or resend, because the credit card company doesn't consider it properly delivered without my signature. I felt bad for the shop taking the loss, but I couldn't afford to. I don't know what happened to the box, but it wasn't left at my house.

This reminded me of another issue that I posted about last year: Sorry this is so long but I wanted to share why I stalk the mail/delivery guys and pm y'all to confirm something is in the mail to me. I have been having trouble with a neighbor, actually I found out several neighbors are having trouble with this particular neighbor. We don't have a regular mailman and apparently our UPS guy isn't so good with street names or numbers. This neighbor received one of the machines I had delivered (It was accidently addressed to 21 instead of 12). So she opens this box with my name and and phone number on the label and leave my $2,500 machine on her porch in the rain for five, yes, five days. She then calls me and wants to know why I am mailing equipment to her house. I tell her I have no idea how she got my machine but I was on my way right over, thinking it had just been delivered that day. I just thought I would cry as I approached her porch and saw what was left of the shipping box. I said, "What the hell, how long has this been here?" She says, "Don't take a tone with me, you shipped it to my house so I have the right to open it." So this ugly exchange goes on for a few more minutes, I take the box home and call the company to let them know about the mistake and arrange for pick-up and delivery of a new machine. Company is very understanding in my not wanting a $2,500 machine that has spent five days in the rain. I am talking with another neighbor who says this female has been a problem for several neighbors on a variety of issues. So, I call the USPS (forgetting this instance was UPS) and just an fyi, it actually is illegal to open mail delivered to your address if you see that your name is not on the label. I let them know that I have had other packages disappear in the last year or two and what I found out about this instance. My Orack vacuum was delived to 12 but on the next street over, she delivered it to me that night, I was so appreciative. Anyway, I just wanted you to know it isn't OCD, just want to know when to expect mail. Thanks for your patience, Maribeth
Old 11-24-2010, 08:24 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

The package in question was insured (value $318 - ouch!). The signature had the right surname, but the wrong first initial. The customer told me that she lives by herself, except for a daughter who was away at college. The delivery person I have not spoken with directly, but his supervisor says that the driver left it with "a woman 20-30 years old, who happened to be on the porch at the time".

Well, gee. The signature was (as many signatures are) basically illegible. The carrier doesn't care and won't assume responsibility, because they got a signature for the package, by someone over 18, and it was at the right address.

So... having insured it does no good. The carrier (FedEx) says it's been delivered, so we cannot put in an insurance claim.

Apparently the only thing we could have done to prevent this would have been to either send it through the Post Office, using Restricted Delivery, which would require photo id from the customer, in order to release the package. Or, send it FedEx but have the package held at the local FedEx center, and the customer would have to go there to pick it up, in which case photo id would be required.

The ironic thing is that we sent it FedEx because we thought it would be safer (full tracking, automatic insurance, signature required).

Guess not.

Maybe this is a cautionary tale to any of you who ship precious quilts.
Old 11-25-2010, 01:29 AM

Um. You can fight this. Our local FedEx is worthless. I won't tell the numerous stories but the last time I had an issue and called the local center the manager "didn't want to talk to a problem customer" -- I called the corporate number from the FedEx website and my problem was resolved in two hours.

The ups boys have to check that they are delivering to the right person, why not FedEx?
Old 11-25-2010, 03:31 AM

UPS delivers packages to my brothers house all the time, (during the holidays) and he didn't order them. i have even taken them to the right address myself.(on my way home from visiting with him) and was thanked profusely by the people it was meant for..

Now, this brings up another thing, when i sell things here, even though i never and won't ship without tracking..i really would like to be told it made it there...just because of this sort of thing happening. I think i will start a thread reguarding this!
Old 11-25-2010, 03:54 AM

Yes, I had a bad experience. I had sent my work laptop to corporate for repair. When they sent it back via DH*, they delivered it to the wrong house, without a signature. Just left it on the porch. The house had been vacant for over a year. By the time we tracked down where the driver had left it and went to the house, the package and laptop were gone.

Thank goodness DH* replaced the laptop.
Old 11-25-2010, 03:57 AM

I have always advised a seller when an order is received - even when I have it sent to an address other than my own. I think the retailer appreciates it.