Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
My Experimental Bargello!  by Danmar >

My Experimental Bargello! by Danmar

My Experimental Bargello! by Danmar

Old 04-28-2010, 10:42 AM

ok..so I have just gotten hooked on this quilter's site and came across this forum..fell in love with these bargellos and have a question. Yours is beautiful...I love the waves...how do i get started with this pattern? I have made tube bargellos before, but love the twisty ones. Is it from the books i have seen listed on some of these posts? And do you 'color' a grid first to plan it out or just put strips together and wing it through trial and error?
Old 04-28-2010, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by katmom54
ok..so I have just gotten hooked on this quilter's site and came across this forum..fell in love with these bargellos and have a question. Yours is beautiful...I love the waves...how do i get started with this pattern? I have made tube bargellos before, but love the twisty ones. Is it from the books i have seen listed on some of these posts? And do you 'color' a grid first to plan it out or just put strips together and wing it through trial and error?
Hi katmom! Thank you! I also love the waves and most Bargello's in general especially the twisted Bargellos. This is my first bargello quilt. Previously I had made one 12" Bargello block. I made this Bargello with no pattern, and no clue really. I just laid everything out, changed everything around several times, and this is the finished product. (Less the binding of course! :lol: )
I didn't color a grid for this.

I have had several requests for the pattern for this quilt and I am in the process of making one. The cost will be $8.00 plus $2.00 shipping. I am making one now, top only, with my directions and fabric requirements to make sure it is correct, then I'll put it on the QB. Thank you for your interest. It shouldn't be too much longer for the pattern.

Marilyn
Old 04-28-2010, 08:47 PM

thanks...can't wait to get started...100's of ideas floating around in my head right now! Will def be interested when pattern is ready.
Old 04-30-2010, 11:49 PM

Hi everybody! Just a quick update. I am going to take longer than a couple of weeks to make the pattern. I have all the strips cut now so it should get going a little faster now. I am sewing in the evenings and the middle of the night, as I am busy all day long. I'm not getting near as much time to spend on this as I would like. I have 15 rows done so far. My camera will not take a decent picture of this though for some reason. It is sooo much prettier and brighter in person. All the pictures seem to be blurry and I've done retakes several times.

I know that I haven't been posting much lately, not in messages, or new topics, or in my PDA but once I get this pattern done and all my Mom's stuff, I'll be back at it. I miss getting time to check out and leave messages on all of your beautiful things that you post. I'm just looking a little now, and going on. Anyways....

Here is a blurry picture that doesn't do this quilt top justice at all. I wish you all could see it in person. It's awesome. I'll get the pattern done as soon as possible.

Marilyn

This is a picture of the first 14 rows. 4-30-10
[ATTACH=CONFIG]31784[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-31784.jpe  
Old 05-01-2010, 09:32 AM

I didn't know anything about the 'wedge' in a bargello. If you get time, can you tell us more about what that is? And why those fabrics in the 'wedge' aren't included in the rest of the strips?
I AM loving your quilt!
Thanks so much for doing this.
Old 05-01-2010, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by ljsunflower
I didn't know anything about the 'wedge' in a bargello. If you get time, can you tell us more about what that is? And why those fabrics in the 'wedge' aren't included in the rest of the strips?
I AM loving your quilt!
Thanks so much for doing this.
Hi sunflower!

The 'wedge' is just what I called certain sections of my bargello. Since I didn't have a pattern and have never made one before, I really have no idea what it is suppose to be called.
(Maybe the secondary pattern?) I just named it the "Wedge".
The "wedges" in my bargello are the purple sections.

When you look at my Bargello, you can see the main focus which is the "wave" that goes through it. There was "leftover" areas, that were not part of the "waves". I called these areas the "Wedges" that I needed to fill in. I did my "wedges" in different colors than my "waves", so they weren't included in the strips. Actually, I cut some strips of the main colors to begin with, and then just cut more as I needed them. I didn't have a clue as to how many of what to cut. Like it says, it was an experimental bargello.

I had only made a 12" block in bargello fashion before this so this was a "trial and error" type thing. Most patterns, including the one that I'm working on for this bargello, tell how many of what to cut. I was just guessing. I laid it out and changed it around until I had it made. If you read this entire thread, it will probably explain alot more.

Thanks for you interest and I hope this answers your questions. If not, let me know and I'll happily explain some more.

Marilyn
Old 05-01-2010, 11:09 AM

thanks so much! this is all new to me too. never made one before & hadn't seen a lot of them. yours is fantastic.
Old 05-01-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by ljsunflower
thanks so much! this is all new to me too. never made one before & hadn't seen a lot of them. yours is fantastic.
Thank you sunflower! If you get a 'real' pattern, it probably won't say anything about "wedges", or 'waves' for that matter!
:lol: :lol: :lol: (Unless it's my pattern.)
Old 05-01-2010, 02:25 PM

This new quilt is AWESOME. Nice job and looking forward to seeing the end result. Love the bright colours. Carol
Old 05-01-2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by watson's mom
This new quilt is AWESOME. Nice job and looking forward to seeing the end result. Love the bright colours. Carol
Thank you, Carol. I realize that it looks nice in the picture but the picture really doesn't do it justice. The colors are so much more vibrant in person. I am waiting for the rain to stop and the sun to come out, someday, and then I'll try taking a picture of it outside and see if it comes out any better. Thanks for writing. I love this second one too. I think I like the colors better than in the first one.

Marilyn