Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Did you learn to sew in Home Ec? >

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Did you learn to sew in Home Ec?

Old 08-30-2011, 07:52 PM

Home Ec in H.S. Loved it most days cooking and sewing were the best. My first project was a skirt and jacket. I remember having problems with the jacket so dear ol mom helped. I think I might have gotten maybe an A or B on it. Never wanted to sew a jacket ever again.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:01 PM

I knew how to sew before JR High Home Ec. when others were making A-line skirts I was making shirtwaist dresses with button down fronts. In HS Home EC another girl and I knew how to sew so much better than the teacher that she never bothered to look at our things as long as they hung on the hanger straight. Anna - was making lined sunday church coats. She was better than I was but we were both better than the teacher.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:21 PM

No, my mom taught me how to use the sewing machine at age 7 or so to make doll clothes. So by the time I got to Home Ec years of high school, my mom insisted that I need to take other classes, cause she & my grandma can teach me how to sew & cook. And they did!!!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2011, 08:28 PM

Sewing classes for me was also in jr high. At that time it was a girl's only class. Cooking was heterosexual. I already knew how to sew and use a machine, but I was thrilled to use the [new] brother's basic machine.
Sewing classes have gone the way of the dodo in my city schools. It's a shame.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:37 PM

I iftd,some not as weel as woth
j
4reracgers
Old 08-30-2011, 08:48 PM

I did learn in Jr. High, but did not continue Home Ec in high school so never really learned to sew clothes well. I can make easy things (clothing) but have never tried anything difficult. I was able to sew my boys shirts and pants when they were little and some things for myself. But I have always loved hand work, starting embroidery when I was 7th grade. Started quilting 22 years ago when I wanted to make my 4 year old niece a cuddle quilt and the rest is history!!! Even when my sons were in Middle School they learned to sew and cook which I thought was great and they and their wives are grateful!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :D
Old 08-30-2011, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Crqltr
Yup..took home ec all four years of high school..hated it then but it was a easy a and back then the a is what it was all about!!
We did two years of home ec and two years of shop. We learned how to change a flat tire, wire an electrical cord, that sort of thing. We all seemed to enjoy both classes. What was really fun was to watch the boys sew and cook.

:mrgreen:
Old 08-30-2011, 10:05 PM

i learned from my mom starting about age 4 or5 with needle and thread. then i went on to her featherweight, and then home ec in school. loved it so much i taught it. still sew clothes as well as quilt. i should say, still sew clothes, thank goodness, Better than i quilt. lol! my husband does most of the cooking now. i am still burnt out (oops, another pun). my son sews and cooks, my daughter-in-law sews and cooks, and the rest are lazy bums. but i love them still! my husband could probably sew if i let him use one of my machines, but he likes to take things apart to see how they work and when he gets them back together there's usually a piece or 2 left over. i let him play with other tools instead. as an ex-home ec teacher it's interesting to see the responses.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:06 AM

Yes, I learned to sew in Home Ec in my Freshman year in High School (many years ago). The teacher had us all make smocks, if you can imagine! And we had to make our own hand-sewn buttonholes on the smock. As I recall, I had some horrid material that my Mom probably got on clearance at the JC Penney store in the little town where we lived. I loved the class but hated the project. Don't know where that smock ended up - I sure never wore it, LOL! From that point on, I must have learned well, because I made a lot of my own clothes as a young business woman, and fancy little dresses for my girls. I loved to sew, but got away it until I got back into the crafty end of sewing.
Old 08-31-2011, 01:24 AM

yes in high school. I took all 4 years in Louisiana. loved it. i made my first dress, altho it was way to short to wear.