Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors >

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Old 10-28-2011, 08:45 AM

My maternal grandfather sired 24 children - with 3 different women - only one of whom he was married to. I have about 300 first cousins.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:52 AM

My great grandfather was a German Merchant Marine, jumped ship when he got to the US, move in with a family in Ohio and took on their last name, changing the last letter from and I to a Y. Can't trace our family tree, no one alive knows his real name. LOL
NormaBeth
Old 10-28-2011, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by karenpatrick
My maternal grandfather sired 24 children - with 3 different women - only one of whom he was married to. I have about 300 first cousins.
Anybody out there a descendent of Jackson Grant Thomas, brn in Clinton, Vermillion County, IN in 1868? I figured that with 300 +/- cousins, one of them has to be a member of this board!!
Old 10-28-2011, 12:57 PM

Hey anybody on this board related to Marie Lagimodiere? She was my many great grandmother. Grandma was the first white women to settle in Western Canada. She had a famous son by the name of Louis Riel. Louis Riel was hung for treason in 1885. There are many books and stories about both of them.
My great great grandfather fought for the Union army in the Civil War.We still have a copy of his discharge papers. He also helped establish a mission with Father Lacombe in central Alberta, Canada. There is a hamlet in this area named after him.
My family came from France in 1679. Mostly farmers and merchants. My grandpa was a bootlegger for the natives where we live. At one time native Indians were not allowed in liquor stores or beer parlors. After my grandma died he had a concubine on the reserve and they have several children together. For years this was all kept a big secret. It's now all in open.
I must say i'm really enjoying this post!
Old 10-28-2011, 01:25 PM

I am related to the 1st King Edward of England. A family history book put together by a cousin doing genealogy found out the how far back our family went. One of my ancestors lived in the central Penn. area farming there before the colonies were united into The USA.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Muv

On both parents' sides of the family I am mainly descended from people who came from Ireland at the time of the Famine, late 1840s and early 1850s. It is impossible to trace any further back than that because of the lack of records in Ireland and the fact that names were repeated.

I am the youngest child of a youngest child, so on my dad's side of the family I can stretch a long way back in only three generations. Not many people these days can say that their Grandad was in the Boer War - mine was! You can see his picture on one of my threads http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-136869-1.htm Likewise, my great grandparents (his parents) left Ireland at the time of the famine -great grandmother was born in about 1846 and great grandad in about 1838.

Having done family research I have found out that on my mum's side one of my English great great great grandfathers died in 1873 aged 103. He was a shoemaker and army pensioner. I wish I could find out more about his military career, because he was probably in the army at the time of the Peninsular Wars when Napoleon was giving a spot of bother.

On my dad's side I have found that an English great great grandfather was born in Suffolk. The family came from Polstead, which is the south of the county in the area made famous in the landscape paintings of John Constable - classic idyllic English countryside. However Polstead was the scene of one of the most notorious murders of the 19th century, of Maria Marten by her dastardly lover William Corder in 1827, which was known as the Murder in the Red Barn. It is a tiny village, everybody knew everybody, my great great great grandparents would have known both murderer and victim well as they were the same age. This is the branch of the family where I have been able to go back the furthest - to great great great great grandparents born in the 1750s, and through whom I am related to a really lovely lady in Texas who makes fantastic quilts!
Old 10-28-2011, 03:47 PM

My husband is a descendent of Richard Wagner (the composer). And he is a distant cousin of Porter Wagoner (country singer & muscian). The last name must have changed it's spelling somewhere after coming to this country. It's funny, that none of their abilities rubbed off on my husband, because he can't play any musical instrument and can't even carry a tune, but he's a heck of a good guy. Been married to him for almost 50 years! He puts up with all my quilting & crafts and all my friends : )
Old 10-28-2011, 04:00 PM

according to my mom, she had an aunt who sewed clothes and kept all the scraps, in a bag under the bed. No, she didn't make quilts, she would just take them out and go over them - Oh, this was little Maria's first communion dress, this was Luigi's first pair of long pants, etc. Her DH kept trying to sneak the bag out to the curb on trash day, she would run out and rescue it from the trash collectors.

I figure I got a BIG dose of her DNA.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:06 PM

My Aunt Elizabeth is a Bradford &William Bradford was her ? Many great uncle. She lives in NW Penn.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:36 PM
Muv

Originally Posted by Teddybear Lady
My dad's grandfather was from England. It's interesting to me. haha
Not a bad place to come from