Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors >

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Old 10-28-2011, 12:35 AM
Power Poster

I am a decedent of Jacob Stroud, founder of Stroudsburg, PA so I qualify for DAR.

I think the oddest story is one my uncle told when we were at a cemetery looking at ancestor graves in Wisconsin. My grandma and her father both got sick one year. G.Grandfather died. They dug 2 graves one for G.grandfather and one for her right next to his. She lived another 50 years but they kept the grave open all winter in case she died.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:44 AM

I too have greatly enjoyed this thread and reading about everyone's ancestors.

There is a book that lists all the names of relatives on my father's side of the family. The original came to the states from an area that was part of Bavaria in 1649 and helped to settle Germantown in Phila, Pa.

Life was hard for many of the older generations. My grandfather (father's dad) was a coal miner near Pine Grave, Pa. After being diagnosed with black lung he opened a bar and restaurant in Pine Grove. This was destroyed during the prohibition days when the "revenuers" came in and broke every dish, cup and glass. The family moved to Philadelphia (the city) where the family of 6 kids would have more advantages. Sadly the 3 older girls were forced out to work (2 of them in cigar factories) so the father could pay off his previous debt from the bar. The oldest, whose name I have, was incredibly intelligent and was offered a higher education funded by a teacher which my grandfather turned down. What waste of a mind! I knew her and she was an amazing lady.

On my mother's side my grandparents emigrated from Norway and Sweden in Scandinavia. I contacted by a 4th cousin this past summer who I never knew existed. We visited them this past summer and were able to see many of the old homesteads from my great and great great grandparents. We have not been able to trace my grandmother's family in Sundsval, Sweden as of yet. Just know her mother's name was Josefine and the family were candy makers.

My grandparents met in Liverpool, England where they both were embarking on a trip to America. He had come back to accompany his cousins. She was only 19 and alone going to Atlantic City, N.J. to become a lady's companion. They fell in love on the trip and married some time later in N.J. I have their wedding portraits hanging in my living room.

No one famous, but surely lots of wonderful stories...

Gjita Marie Erickson Olavsen
[ATTACH=CONFIG]278164[/ATTACH]

Fritz Hjalmar Olavsen
[ATTACH=CONFIG]278165[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-278111.jpe   attachment-278112.jpe  
Old 10-28-2011, 12:45 AM

On my Mom's side, related to Stevie Ray Vaughn and by marriage, Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson.
Mom's grandparents came from Sweden just before my grandmother was born.
On Dad's side, related to several gunfighters and one real Indian outlaw.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by kwendt
Wow... I'm learning so much cool stuff. I had never heard of the "Jersey Devil" or Urban of the White Sox.

Nor did I realize just how many 'hootchers' there were in the good 'ol US. Do you know that Southern Living magazine did an article on modern day, non-illegal Moonshine? There are now BRANDS of it in the south, and I guess it's never really er gone out of style down here. lol.
OH yeah..cherry moonshine is the best :-D
Old 10-28-2011, 02:35 AM

My dads family came from England and my moms family came from Germany. Quite a mix isn't it?

On my dads side they were candle makers and first settled in Boston, Mass. The name in England was Wicks, but when they came through Ellis, Island the spelling was changed to Weeks. Anyway there is a Weeks house in Boston.

My g grandpa & g grandma ended up in Missouri. They came to KS with my dad in a covered wagon. My dad was the oldest of 10. (I am the youngest of 8). Anyway we are also related to the Younger brother's from out of Missouri. They rode with Jesse James. My g g grandma was also a full bloodied Cherokee Indian. All I have is a copy of a tin type picture.

My moms side of the family was much less exciting. No famous people. G pa was a railroader, but died of a heart attack when he was 45. My g ma was 3 mo shy of her 100 b day when she died. So she was a widow for a long time. My mom was a school teacher in a one room school house, when she met my dad.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:08 AM

LADIES, LADIES, LADIES......What a night this has been!!! It is 6:35AM and I have been up all night reading this. Was ready to go to bed around 2 and thought ....just one peek on here and then I was hooked.
It was 1947, I was a Freshman in high school and had an assignment for the next day....tell the class something interesting from both sides of my family. Mother had a meeting so I ask my sister who was 8 years older for help on Mothers side. She told me my Gr father was the head of the KKK and his sheet and hood were in Grannys attic. I didn't know anything about the KKK and he had died when I was 2 so I didn't question anything about it, and just said "Thanks". Dad told me he had an uncle that got drunk and was in a horse and buggy, riding across the river on the ferry and told the horses to "giddy up" and drove into the river and drowned. I thought I did very well until I got home from school. You see, my Mother was a teacher and she heard about this in less than an hour after I told the story. That was the last time I ever got a spanking!!! She was embarrassed to tears. Her father also rode from Kansas to Frederickton, PA along side Frank James (Jesse James' brother) on horseback. I was not supposed to know these things.
This has been a real delight for me and I learned so much. No wonder I spend hours and hours reading on this site. Thank you, thank you, thank you and "Good Morning"...I am going to bed.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:14 AM

In rereading this, noticed the clock is wrong again so don't think I am lying to you gals. Need to get a new battery put in this thing!!
Old 10-28-2011, 03:17 AM

My cousin did a big project for her son's 40th birthday. Found out I am a descendant of Pocahontas.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:36 AM

I forgot to mention earlier that my( can't remember how many greats go here) Grandfather stowed away on a ship from Germany to get here. And another was a gambler and was killed in a duel over one of his bets(probably on a horse). My I believe great grandfather rode in the Kentucky Derby. My grandfather was a farrier and made special shoes for race horses.
Another g grandfather was a stone mason and helped build many buildings in Arkansas City, KS and the Chiloco Indian School. There's a stone monument to him in one of the cemeteries.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:36 AM

my ggrand mother became a widow at about 55 in 1870, possibly quaker origin, and she or her family from Switzerland, not knowing much English. She and her five children under 15, moved from Ohio to Kansas where her older children lived

But in those times, women didn't travel alone, and with her customs, was a big no-no in those times anyway. So I still have a loose thread about her and her family. did they move in a covered wagon, went with a wagon train? or did they sell all and move on a train or stage coach..

she also married out of her faith, and both were "kicked out"