Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors >

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Old 10-27-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by puck116
My father's ancestor sailed on the ship to Jamestown. Sailed back to England, only to find his family had all died from plague or something. He then sailed back over on the Mayflower and stayed. He was not a pilgrim, but a deckhand. In England he had been an actor.
Was the last name Blackmoor?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by grandmafay
I found out that I am related to Daniel Boone and to President Abraham Lincoln on my dad's mom's side of the family. My brothers and sisters were happy about this...too bad my dad has passed away already.
I, too, am related to Daniel Boone, and I remember my aunt mentioning Abraham Lincoln, so I think there is a connection there. Daniel Boone was my 5 greats uncle through his sister, Mary, and William Bryan. Do you know how your relation is?
Old 10-27-2011, 08:50 PM

On DH side his greatgrand father was a nephew to Robert E Lee, CW caused a break up of the Lee family, some never spoke of there family members again. When GGF was around no one said the name Robert E. Lee! DH Grandmother (Lee) married a man named Smith. GF Smith had ben raised by an Indian Tribe from the New York area. The dark hair and steal blue eyes. has been passed down from GF Smith to DH, to DS and his son, one of our blond DGD has the steal blue eyes also.
On my side don't know a whole lot on my birth father side, (he died when I was 1 day old)nothing is realy known about my grand father just his name and he married my grandmother in Ark. They had one child , my father, who died at the age of 23 from a life long illness. My Great Grand mother Was from the Ark.,OK., area, when she married a white man the whole tribe disowned her my Grandmother in later years finally admitted her mother was an Indian. When Grandma was about 12-13 her dad came home from work one Sat and told his wife that Sunday a friend was comming to supper and he wanted grandma to make pie for that nite. Sunday nite came and so did the man her father had invited. Grandma said her dad walked the man out the door after supper. When he came back in he asked Grandma what she thought of that man. She sad he seamed nice enough. Her Father said good cause come next Sunday you and he are gettin married. You guessed it. 7 days latter she saw him again and they got married the were married over 56 years.(her Dad was scared she would be an old maide, her sister got married at 12!) When I got married at the age of 19 Grandma was really worried that I was rushing it! LOL On Moms side my Granfather came from Denmark, shortly after WW1, traveled by train from NY City to Wenatchee Wa. not knowing a word of English Some one had tied a label with his destionation on his coat lapel like a package label. The Peterson boys (they were his sponcers to get to the US) met him at the Wenatchee train station. Thankfully they spoke Danish and my Grandfather could ask them for water, he had not eaten or drank anything sence leaving NY! The Peterson family owned a wheat ranch in the Waterville area, my Grandfather worked for them for about 3 years , they only spoke Danish on the ranch. Finally my GF decided he needed to learn
English, and he said he really didn't like the dryland farming. So he left the area and headed out to the Brewster area. Learned some English and worked in the Apple orchards. Met my GM when he was looking for some one thought he had the right farm, Wrong, Grandma was about 16, old country german father had taught her well, if strangers show up set the dogs on them! Yep she did! My GF had the scars on his legs to prove it to. Hrs. later when my GGF go home he called off the dogs and my GF was finally able to get out of that tree. My GF refused to teach his children Danish He said you are American and Americans speak English!(nobody argued we my GF when he used that tone of voice!)LOL We tryed to trace where in Germany my GGF came from but he changed his name. Not legaly, There is no record of his name leaving Germany or Arriving in this Country in the time frame we know he arrived here. His wife my GGM was from the Ill. area traveled out here on a wagon train was a School teacher at the age of 18 I have some of her signed contracts, fun to read! She was also the first Postmistress at Mazamz (a town that was there for the Gold) She kept jurnals all her life some are really funny to read, we have no conseption what these people lived through and what they thought of everyday life. Tough people living and loving in what they considered the modern age
Old 10-27-2011, 09:12 PM

I found out that I am a direct descendant of 5 Chiefs in our tribe.
On my Dad's side we are related to the Dalton Brothers.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:24 PM

My paternal grandfather built all the stone steps and paths you walk on if you ever go to the view point at Rainbow Falls in Hilo, on the Big Island.
(I learned to swim in the pools above the falls!)
Old 10-27-2011, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by Anna.425
The thing that I love about these threads is that it always gives me something to learn about. I had no idea that The Orphan Train existed. When I looked it up I found that there is a PBS special about it. My next stop, Netflix.
Me either time to do some research.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:14 PM

No one famous in my family, but there is some interesting history. My father was 58 when I was born and my mother was 47. Do you think I could have been one of those change of life babies they talk about?
My father was the youngest of 10 children and his father fought in the Civil War which makes me one of the youngest people to have had a grandfather in the Civil War.
My mother’s adoptive father was driving a herd of cattle through Wyoming’s Indian Territory in 1900. The Indians were so destitute they were giving their children away to anyone who would take them in the hopes the children might survive.
So at the age of eight months my mother sat on the saddle in front of her “Father” for the rest of the cattle drive.
Her parents were known for taking in orphans and other children. Sometimes they would get up in the morning and find one or two kids sitting on their porch with notes pinned to them. During that period of time there were a lot of destitute people who just gave their children away because they couldn’t feed them.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:44 PM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

While researching our family history I ran across names that were told all my young life.. America, Tennessee, Maryland.. the family named their daughters after states. This always fascinated me. Ran across the very names of Aunt Mec, Aunt Tennie and Maryland and found brothers Lafayette and an ancestor's name Napoleon Bonaparte. Found these ancestor's births, marriages.. Would love to know the parents ideas on names .. all born in late 1800's. Plus, while looking through cemetery lists.. America, Tennessee and Lafayette had neighbors on same mountain with shared names !! Wonder what fads our children will find later in life as they research: Navaeh, Apple, Piper, Scout. :0)
Old 10-28-2011, 12:03 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

Originally Posted by 2manyprojects
my great grandfather 5 times ago was a fifer in the revolutionary war...guess I had a boring family history ;-)
Mine a Drummer Boy. ha ha.. so, maybe they played together to signal the troups..

Nobody is allowed to disrespect my little drummer boy or his friend the fifer.. they told the troups to move forward or retreat. Important job usually given to a younger person that was "disposable".. for they were unarmed. Not always a child, but young man.

my GG..G grandfather moved up to driving horses to pull a supply wagon as a Private. Later he was in the war of 1812. It was hard to establish this country.. Proud to be a drummer boy's GG.. G granddaughter. :0) His pension papers list many battles. Interesting read for a comman young man of that time.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:26 AM

Originally Posted by watson's mom
My mother's family can trace all the way back to the 800's, where we are related to a King Harold (I think that's his name). My mother also had an uncle who was a Canadian Senator. I have an aunt who is a world class painter and had one of her paintings entered in a show to be judged by Prince Charles (didn't win). My father served in WW2 but never talked about it. His father supposedly robbed a train and went to prison for three years because of it. not sure if this is true of not, my brother swears it is.
Forgot....my paternal GGM and her family were all avid quilters. my GM however was not . She liked to hand embroider and was very good at it.
There was a Viking King Harald who ruled England until he was dethroned in a battle, at which time the English were able to rule their country again. The Vikings spread their "seed" all over Europe which is why the Irish have red hair.