Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors >

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Old 12-28-2011, 10:24 PM

This is so interesting. I remember a story my grandmother told me. She said Thomas Edison was her neighbor when they were children. She remembers he wondered if he sat on a chicken egg, if it would hatch! Funny story. No personal claim to fame. Oh yeah, one more thing. My gr-grandparents huge ranch in Montana was/is on the site of Custer's last stand. The grounds (as I remember it) were left as a cemetery. Where the soldiers died is right where each was buried.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:20 PM
Banned

Well lets see, not much is known about my family especially
on my mothers side.

My great grandfather came to the United States from Frnace
via through Canada (Quebec?) not sure all I know is I have
distant family who are French Canadians.

My grandfather was born in Winterset, Iowa, he was a WWI
War Veteran and died at the age of 80 in 1973. I was only
8 yrs old when he died. Don't know much else (yet).

Do not know dates about anything on my mom side of the family,
other than she was the 3rd oldest of six kids. Her mother died
when she was fairly young and her grandfather married a MEAN
Indian woman (so the rumors went).

My mother was a "blue baby" when she was born, her parents
was told she would not live long enough to become a teenager.
At the age of 8 (maybe a year younger or older not sure) mom
came home one day from school and was getting ready to start
her "chores", but prior to doing them everyday she would go see
the bull in the pin (named "blue boy). Bull saw a snake and started
to charge towards mom, she took off running, but the bull got her.
His horn went in at her temple and out of her forehead at the hair
line.

Because of this my mother has a mental handicap, but a heart of
gold.

My mother is the strongest, most determined woman I have ever
known to live. She is 83 years old now and had a slight stroke last
June and still going strong even through all her trials of life.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:20 AM

my Grandfather invented ply wood, he invented the machines to strip the wood of the tree's and the glue as the glue of that era was made from calfs hoofs and stained the wood so he had to invent a glue that wouldn't stain the wood, them he invented the way of gluing the sheets together in opporesite ways for strenght. them my uncle invented plastic while working for dunlop during the war as they couldn't get rubber and needed a substitute
Old 12-29-2011, 09:24 PM

[QUOTE=RkayD;4667918]I have had a great time reading all the family history. Thank you for starting it! family history has always been so fascinating to me. The one thing I've wanted in my life is deep roots and its the one thing I can't really have. I don't know my biological father..all I have is a name of my birth certificate. Ronald Eugene Douglas born in 1942 in KS and he was a welder. I was born 2 mths premature and when she called to tell him..His mom told her they didn't want to know and not to bother them again. Talk about heartbreak. It took her along time to finally tell me that..she had told me that they were married and he just didn't want kids. On my mom's side I have traced the family back to Virginia and Alabama & Arkansas. They were farmers and cotton pickers...went to California during the depression. True Okie's =) There is also rumored to be a Cherokee Princess in the line but no one knows anything. I definitely have Indian somewhere. My great grandma was a quilter and my grandma was a quilter..it was something we shared although I didn't "understand" until it was too late. I have my grandma's quilt tops and some of her last sand paper templates and the book she was working on when the dementia took over. Among her quilting stuff I got when she passed last February is a bow tie quilt block in yellow & brown with her name embroidered on it. I will forever treasure it. This picture is my grandparents...Gertrude & Bill..aren't they fabulous?? I had never seen this picture until my Gram's memorial...I just LOVE it![/QUOte

I love the picture of your Mom and Dad. If you have his name you should be able to trace him. It's amazing what genealogy info is coming online now... Don't give up. It has taken me 13 years to trace down my GM who my mother nor I ever knew. Sometimes, it's like she never existed...
Old 12-29-2011, 09:28 PM

Wow, what a history!

Originally Posted by Cosy View Post
In the 1700's, one of my ancestors was hung for stealing slaves: he was helping slaves get to Canada where the slaves would be freed.
Winston Churchill is my 6th cousin.
Lady Godiva is on my direct line, as is William Wallace of Scotland
My Greatgrand father owned the land Fort Douglas near Salt lake City is on.
My 4th greatgrandfather invented an odometer used in covered wagons.
Another 5th ggf walked across the plains to emigrate to Salt Lake City when he was 73. He came with his son's family that included 3 children under 4.

My mother in law lived in the back hills of Kentucky, they made moonshine, 3 girls shared 2 dress and 1 pair of shoes(they wore overalls and boots for everyday): really lived just like the stories of hillbillys. She and my father in law wrote letters to each other, and didn't actually meet until a week before the wedding. They were married for more than 50 years, until Mother died, he never remarried and died 5 years after her.

My parents met when Dad was dating Mom's roommate. Mom told her roommate to give it up, SHE wanted him! 35years later, (unbeknownst to me at the time) I married the roommates cousin!
My father in law was kidnapped by Pancho Villa, and lived with his army for several months. He thought it was a great adventure.

My ancestors and my husbands ancestors were on opposite sides of the Revolutionary War, and probably met on at least 2 battlefields. The same is true of the Civil War: both were at Gettysburg and Shiloh.
I could write books.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:55 PM

Well I've debated about posting this but.... Have a 2nd cousin (never met - you will read why) that was on the FBI's most wanted list, in fact he was the one on the list the longest until recently when he decided to give himself up! He hijacked a plane the year before I was born and took it to Cuba. Just in case the FBI is watching the board lol I will end my post here.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:15 AM

One of my ancestors, on my Moms side, was the Wright Brothers step mom.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:34 PM

You and i are related. Althea Minor is my great grandmother, and i am a descendent of Blackbeard.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-19-2020 at 03:58 AM. Reason: remove PII
Old 06-19-2020, 06:07 AM

My 5th great grandparents were among the exiles from modern day Nova Scotia. They were French and because they would not swear allegiance to the British monarchy, they were put on ships and they were deposited in various eastern and southern ports. My 5th ggparents landed in New Orleans. They went west and settled in the marshes and bayous of south Louisiana. They trapped and fished to feed their families. I am proud to be able to say I am a Cajun.
Old 06-19-2020, 06:46 AM

One of my ancestors on my mother's side signed the Declaration of Independence.