Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors >

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Old 06-21-2020, 07:19 PM

That is very sad.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:30 AM

My g-g-grandfather invented the process for making commercial ice. Had a factory in Louisville, KY. My father delivered ice in a mule drawn wagon in his early teens. My Mother's side is from the family that settled in Pa originally and then to Alcorn, Mississippi, and eventually to KY. Another one of her ancestors had a salt mine in Bullitts Lick, KY. also one state senator, county sheriff, and as an older cousin, described my great-grandfather as a scoundrel. and from what I have read in newspapers !

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-22-2020 at 03:43 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 06-22-2020, 06:11 AM

My aunt on my mother's side did an ancestrial search and found we were related to Anne Bolyn's (spelling} sister. Also back in either the 1700-1800's we were slave owners in Virginia. Now most of my relatives are full blooded indians from Colorado and Wyoming areas.
Old 06-22-2020, 08:46 AM

Some of my ancestors came over on the Mayflower. One was an indentured servant and another fell off the boat and had to be fished out of the Atlantic. I use that as an explanation for why I’m so clumsy. 🙂
Old 06-22-2020, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
That is very sad.
What are you referring to?
Old 06-22-2020, 01:03 PM
Power Poster

My grandpa did piecework for one of the shirtwaist factories in NJ. The treadle I have was his. To me, this is interesting!
Old 06-22-2020, 03:46 PM

My great grandfather drove an ambulance home red light and siren to go see his wife.. that was the end of story for most of my life. As I got into genealogy I found "cousin" who knew more of the story. He stole the ambulance. From the metal hospital where he was a patient. He drove it back when his visit was over.
Old 06-22-2020, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by leonf View Post
My great grandfather drove an ambulance home red light and siren to go see his wife.. that was the end of story for most of my life. As I got into genealogy I found "cousin" who knew more of the story. He stole the ambulance. From the metal hospital where he was a patient. He drove it back when his visit was over.
I had to laugh when I read this, and one of my first thoughts, was "Wonder if this was a conjugal visit?" Hope this doesn't offend anyone, especially you, Leon.

My 2nd Great Grandfather was a great blacksmith and farmer between the times that he spent in the local drugstore, which was the only place you could get liquor. Of course, back then, it was called medicine. And somehow, he managed to have 13 or 14 kids. Several of them ended up as preachers. Wonder if the father's choices influenced them? My mom told me not to tell anyone about this because she didn't want anyone to know. HaHa. Another cousin told me about it. The only one who thought it was a secret was my lovely mom.
Old 06-22-2020, 05:01 PM

conjugal visit was my idea too.. It takes a lot to offend me.

When I found a bit of a court case that described my ggg grandfathers near passage to the USA. It contained these words "They threw him into the water." I hoped h had died first. Anyway his offspring finished the trip about 1830 and now I'm here because of it.
Old 06-23-2020, 08:26 AM

My great uncle, during the Great Depression, robbed a bank where he had money deposited. The bank was under FDR's bank holiday, and he said he wanted only the amount of money he had. Bad thing was he used a gun. He was quickly captured, tried and sentenced to prison. Turns out his family farmed ground that belonged to one of Eleanor Roosevelt's secretaries and they asked her to ask Eleanor to ask FDR for a pardon. FDR granted the pardon.