Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors >

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Tell Something Interesting About One (Or More) of Your Ancestors

Old 10-27-2011, 06:19 PM

My great, great, great grandfather on my father's side was Daniel Boone.

My great, great, great, great, great grandfather on my mother's side was William Few, who signed the Constitution.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by GlitzyMe
Originally Posted by teacherbailey
My great-grandfather was a full-blooded Native American named Osceola Creighton Reid. Osceola for an Indian chief (from another tribe, we think....never figured that one out!), Creighton from the missionaries that gave the family medical care and Reid is an English version of RED, as in RED MAN, meaning Indian. Anybody into Native American geneology? I'd love to know more! PM me if you can help????
There is an Osceola County here in Florida.......named for the tribe but that's all I know since I'm a foreigner from Boston...lol.
Osceola was, if I don't have my wires crossed, a famous leader of the Seminole people who were pushed farther and farther into the wilds of Florida by settlers. The Seminole people NEVER surrendered to the U.S. military.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:22 PM

Grandfather was in the mob in St. Louis, Italian Sunday family dinners every weekend, Grandfather had a mistress, GP's never divorced, it was an arranged marriage. Very interesting family! Other side of the family is traced back to President Harrison (his term was very brief).
Old 10-27-2011, 06:27 PM

WOW! This is great. Ok, my English teacher , Odessa Snyder, grew up in the valley between the Hatfields and McCoys. She would always tell us stories of her growing up and being friends with both families and not letting either family know she was friends with the other.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Hosta
my mom's family were moonshiners
so were mine both sides..andspent a lot of time in jail..when my grandmother would grt mad at my grandfather she would turn him in to the cops..lol
Old 10-27-2011, 07:06 PM

[

Should have said that my mother's family is from Iceland and her ancestors were all Vikings. Must be where we got all the blond hair from.

quote=watson's mom]My mother's family can trace all the way back to the 800's, where we are related to a King Harold (I think that's his name). My mother also had an uncle who was a Canadian Senator. I have an aunt who is a world class painter and had one of her paintings entered in a show to be judged by Prince Charles (didn't win). My father served in WW2 but never talked about it. His father supposedly robbed a train and went to prison for three years because of it. not sure if this is true of not, my brother swears it is.
Forgot....my paternal GGM and her family were all avid quilters. my GM however was not . She liked to hand embroider and was very good at it.[/quote]
Old 10-27-2011, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by stitchinwitch
This is SUCH an interesting thread - LOVE it! Remember "Roots"? Wouldn't it be fantastic that there would be a DVD on each and every one of you showing the story of your ancestors?? They are ALL SOOOOOOO Fascinating!!!!
:thumbup:

Originally Posted by gollytwo
still making gin in her bathtub when I was a kid.
ROTFL! :lol:

Originally Posted by gollytwo
Thread has been alot of fun to read - thanks for starting it.
Welcome. I'm glad I started it, too. ;)
Old 10-27-2011, 07:24 PM

My father ran moonshine in Canada and a grandfather's last name was changed during the war to Simmons from Zimmerman because the school teacher said it was too German sounding. Nothing very exciting.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:25 PM
Power Poster

On my Dad's side, we are related to President Polk, and Robert E. Lee. Not yet sure how it all works, but am gonna find out! :)
Not sure of Mom's side~~
Old 10-27-2011, 08:08 PM

My great-grandfather and my husband's great-grandfather fought in the same battle during the Civil War and were on opposite sides. We were lucky they didn't kill each other or we wouldn't be here.