Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 05-24-2011, 01:00 PM

I do have a featherweight, born in1957, which I am in love with. I have a question about the Montgomery Ward made in1854 that I know is not a featherweight but is very small. Are they dependable and fun as the FW?? I think someone here mentioned they have one. It has Precision Round Bobbin on a plate on the front. The serial number is L820555. Can anyone tell me anything about it? I can get it very reasonable. Thanks.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:22 PM

Count me in as a member. I have had a 221 for several years but it has been packed away. I recently got it out and on a table to start sewing with it but have not yet done so. I ordered a couple of different feet for it today. I am excited to get started! I did try it out when I first bought it and it sewed perfectly. Thanks for starting this "Club".
Old 05-24-2011, 01:34 PM

I'd like to join the club too! I have 2 Featherweights. My 221 is "Maeve". She's a 1945 model. She's been well-used and her decals are showing it, along with pin marks on the bed, but she's for work not show, and I'm quite fond of her. I also have a 222K, named "Fiona". She's a 1957 model and very pretty. I really lucked into her at my sewing machine dealer's. He had her on display for quite a while and got tired of me drooling on her. He reduced the price so I could afford to buy her and she's my pride and joy. She sews so nicely, but I do usually use the 221.
I also have a black longbed 301, currently unnamed. She is new to me as of last December and I'm really enjoying sewing with her. I have a top of the line Janome-11000 and I'm using all these old black machines.....<sigh> I could have saved a lot of money...OH well, I like machine embroidery too:)

Maeve the 221
[ATTACH=CONFIG]201969[/ATTACH]

Fiona the 222K
[ATTACH=CONFIG]201971[/ATTACH]

My lovely unnamed black 301
[ATTACH=CONFIG]201972[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-201963.jpe   attachment-201965.jpe   attachment-201966.jpe  
Old 05-24-2011, 02:32 PM

There are a number of feet that the FW uses which also work with the 301 and 201 Singer's because they are all low shank. I have a 201, my 222K's big brother, and all the attachments I have tried on the 201 so far do work.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by cctx.
I have a 301A Long bed, did I make the grade.....?
I have a 301 long bed in black coming, also own a Featherweight which I have not had out in years. I good friend of mine in Georgia found me a wooden table that the Featherweight is supposed to go on. I am thinking of getting them both out and putting them in the living room to use and for a display. DM also has a FW.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:03 PM

The Singer 301 is a slanted shank. The 221 and 222 are low shank. The feet for the two machines are NOT interchangeable.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by libber
Hi BJ,
I'm sorry to read that you have been ill. Oh dear, I'll bet you feel like the FW's are like your children. I bet each one has a story. I live in Eastern Washington, I was thinking that maybe if you lived in Central or Eastern Oregon I might be able to drive down. I drove to Nampa in February for a FW repair and maintenance class that April 1930's taught. They are fantastic instructors. Now I do almost all my own maintenance on my 222K. I am looking for a second 222, also a 'sister' 221 to go with my 1960 222. Sincerely, Libber
Hi, I am in western Washington. My next purchase, someday, is going to be a 222, I hope. I just bought a 301 from someone here on the board.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:42 PM

It's Tuesday and I just arrived home from work to find my
recent Ebay purchase. She is a beauty and I'm not disappointed.
There wasn't a case but the seller did include a very nice heavy plastic caring case. Excellent condition and just waiting for a name. This is an early 65th BD present, maybe I should call her Ruby since my BD is in July. Happy, Happy, Happy.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:25 PM

I have one!
Old 05-24-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by deplaylady
Originally Posted by Janis
I just got home from shopping and want to tell everyone what I got. I got a rolling tote for my featherweight,who is still nameless, unfortunately. I got an 'Everything Mary' rolling tote that has a picture of yarn in the top of it. It measures 15"L x8"W x13"H It was for $59.99 at Michaels, back by the yarn, and with a 40% off, I got it for about $38.00. It has pockets!! 1 open and 1 zips down to hold things inside it's little pockets, and one that just zips. And those are just on the front. It has a pocket on each side on the outside, and zip ones all around on the inside. I do have to give my friend Ione credit for finding the tote for her machine and telling me about it so I could get one too. I went on line and didn't find it at either Hobby Lobby nor Joann's. Maybe Michaels is the only place that has it.
I also went to Joann's and got a walking foot for it at the Viking store in there. It cost $24.95 or something like that.
Wish I had read this earlier! I was just at a JoAnns and saw one on clearance for $29.99 and wondered if my Featherweight would fit in it - it looked like it would, but I didn't take time to look closer and I didn't have the measurements of my featherweight. I was thinking it might be nice to leave the original case home. Of course, my baby is still out at the Dr's.
The one at Joann's might not be the same as I got at Michaels. I looked in 'Joann on line' and didn't see the rolling tote that I have. In the front pocket that opens up all the way, there are 2 little zippered clear plastic bags that velcro on the front side, and on the back there are several little open pockets, some with elastic above them that would hold knitting needles if bought by a knitter. I think a sewer/ quilter could use them for a lot if different things. I was surprised at all of the zippered and other pockets that it has. It has a LOT more than any of my sewing machine rolling totes have. It is also smaller than the sewing machine totes, and you don't need that much room for the featherweight to toss around in. This bag seems to be built just the right size for it. If you can get to a Michaels and check it out, I'm sure you'd like it a lot. Remember, Michaels takes Joann, Hancock, Hobby Lobby as well as their own coupons!
Janis
PS sorry for being so long winded!