Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 06-16-2011, 02:59 PM

YAY!! So I found my FW this past weekend, but had to put her on layaway. I didn't intend to buy one, but the price was reasonable, and she's in very good condition. I'll have her in my hands in about 3 weeks. Then I'll bring her here to introduce her to you all and we can officially join this Club!! :thumbup:
Old 06-17-2011, 06:50 AM

I just bought one and it came this week. Can't wait to use her.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by cabbagepatchkid
Last night, I won a 1964 white/green FW, on eBay!! I've always wanted one and now I have one. Can't wait to get it! I already have 2 black FW's and this little greenish one will look so cute next to the blacks.
Oh, I forgot to post pictures of it. It's in really nice condition but the spool pin snapped off during shipment :cry:. The pin is not sold separately from the little cover and all that I can find is the cover/pin for the black FW. I may try to just use epoxy to hold the pin in. I also received the cutest little oil can, with the FW.

It looks really white in the pic but it has a bit of greenish tinge to it that isn't showing up in the pic.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]213596[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-213590.jpe  
Old 06-18-2011, 06:56 PM

Anyone heard of this one?
FW clone called the MINI Classic made in the 90's.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/hsh/2449094017.html

This guy is always posting some cool looking or pretty machine, but he is a bit high for me. I try to get all my machines around a $100 or less.

I copied the picture just in case the listing is removed.

Oh, and motor looks huge!
Attached Thumbnails attachment-213591.jpe  
Old 06-18-2011, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by vintagemotif
Anyone heard of this one?
FW clone called the MINI Classic made in the 90's.

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/hsh/2449094017.html

This guy is always posting some cool looking or pretty machine, but he is a bit high for me. I try to get all my machines around a $100 or less.

I copied the picture just in case the listing is removed.

Oh, and motor looks huge!
That DOES resemble the Feather Weight!!
Old 06-18-2011, 07:01 PM

I have one that I bought from my Mother-in-Law. I used to sew on it all the time.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:56 PM

Last night, I won a 1964 white/green FW, on eBay!! I've always wanted one and now I have one. Can't wait to get it! I already have 2 black FW's and this little greenish one will look so cute next to the blacks.
Oh, I forgot to post pictures of it. It's in really nice condition but the spool pin snapped off during shipment :cry:. The pin is not sold separately from the little cover and all that I can find is the cover/pin for the black FW. I may try to just use epoxy to hold the pin in. I also received the cutest little oil can, with the FW.
That is cute - so is the little cutie in you avatar pic!
Old 06-18-2011, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by misseva
I've asked this before & didn't hear from anyone. My FW pulls to the left when stitching. Does anyone else have this problem?
I am no expert, but I'll try. Look closely at the feed dogs because if there is a build-up of lint on them, they might not be pulling the fabric evenly. Also, be sure to test it with a different foot. If it sews straight with one but not the other, the foot is probably the culprit. It might be possible that the feed dogs are on a little crooked. There would not be much room for this to happen, but if a screw is not in tight, it's possible. I have not seen this on a FW, but on a different machine, even though there were two screws, there was room for adjustment. Has it been this way since you got it? If so, it might have been dropped or bumped during shipping, and the problem could be something more difficult, such as a bent needle shank. Good luck!
Old 06-18-2011, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by redpurselady
... The front of your foot should rest on the flat surface while applying pressure with your heel. I too had problems with the foot controller, until I found out that I was using it wrong. My foot controller would be all over the place. I think the stationary button is to help keep your heel from slipping off the button.

Thanks to Billy who told me about the correct use of the pedal -I really enjoy sewing on it now.
Thank you for posting this (and Thanks, Billy!). I had no idea. I've only had my FW for a few weeks, and didn't have a problem, but I've had an Elna with a similarly designed foot pedal since 1986, and I always wondered why there was that extra knob. It never made any sense to me at all. I'll have to give it a try with both of them. I love this board because I learn so much!
Old 06-25-2011, 07:00 PM

Finally! She's done! My attempt at fixing up a FW is all most complete! Not yet named, not completely all waxed and buffed, but she feels so much better! She needs a name, but I'm leaned toward 'Daisy' since she'll be the machine I'll be using to drive around with! (And I know a cute little black dog named Daisy, and this machine was sure a dog when I started, and although not a cute one!) I'd still like to replace the red belt the repair shop put on her when I get a chance (that belt and the new lamp cost me $88 - that's all they did to her, when I picked her up and opened her up I saw she hadn't even been oiled.) She now is all spiffed up, oiled and lubed and sews like a dream!

1949 FW
[ATTACH=CONFIG]216806[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-216800.jpe