Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat)  Everyone is Welcome! >

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Featherweight Club (Do you have a Featherweight if so post here so you can all chit chat) Everyone is Welcome!

Old 06-09-2011, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by Quilt
Where can I purchase Dave McCallum's book "My Featherweight and I"?
I purchased the DVD & Book from Connecting Threads - they currently are having a 40% off sale.

http://www.connectingthreads.com

Best reference set that I have ever bought! Pricey- but well worth every cent!
Old 06-09-2011, 04:50 AM

Thank you for the information.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:54 AM

I am constantly delighted by how beautiful a stitch my Anise sews. Really, I hadn't realized just how fun and easy to use these machines were before I got one myself! Hadn't thought there would be much of a difference between sewing with my Mom's recent plastic Singer from Joann's and with an older Singer. Haha, shows how naive I was.

I don't know if I'll ever piece with anything else, not with how perfect the seams turn out. And it's so awesome that she's been sewing this well for 63 years? 39 more than I've been alive!
Old 06-09-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Quilt
Where can I purchase Dave McCallum's book "My Featherweight and I"?
I bought mine from Dave's site: http://www.featherweight221.com/fwrx...ructional.html
He recently started a blog, on his website, that has lots of helpful advice for FW owners.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:34 AM

Hope you enjoy Tryphena Louisa's new coat of many colours and her "underwear"!!!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-129412-1.htm
Old 06-10-2011, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by canuckninepatch
Hope you enjoy Tryphena Louisa's new coat of many colours and her "underwear"!!!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-129412-1.htm
I love her new coat!!! Will you be doing a tutorial on it :lol: ?
Old 06-12-2011, 12:48 PM

Well, the shop called yesterday to say my Featherweight was ready, so I went to pick her up. It also happened to be the day after my DD brought her baby home from the hospital AND my other DD was visiting with my other GD and MIL and FIL was visiting, so I made a very short trip to pick it up. Long and short - bill was $88. It says it was a complete tune-up, with replacing the bulb and the belt. 1 year warranty. They said they would polish it (not done)and they belt they put on it was a red one. So 5 weeks after I dropped it off, I have my FW back, I could have replaced the bulb myself, may still replace the belt (they gave me the old one - looked fine to me - but what do I know). I asked about oil and lube - they said any lightweight machine oil and sold me some of the one they used. I still don't know if they lubed the motor and I need to do my 99. Is the Singer lube they sell at JoAnn fabrics the same lube or is that something different? I'll post pictures of my FW when I can polish her up a little more and I can rest up a bit. She does sew nice, but its been a really bad experience. On the other hand - my new baby granddaughter is adorable!

My GDs - worth more than all my machines put together!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]210494[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-210488.jpe  
Old 06-12-2011, 01:57 PM

That picture is priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are both beautiful.

Get yourself a copy of Dave McCallum's book and save yourself the $88.00. Everything that the shop did for your FW you can do yourself.
Old 06-12-2011, 02:29 PM

I can't believe that I have two and never sewed a stitch with either one! I got them both just before we moved to MO and just haven't gotten them out! If I remember right one of them was born in '47. One has scroll work and the other is striated. Both very good looking. Maybe I'll dig them out and join the FW sewing group at LQS before long.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:17 PM

I've had mine acouple years now, love it. She was born in 1934 and she hasn't been named yet. I bought her from a lady in my quilting club, $300. Lots of attachments new belt runs great. Had to buy a book for it from the repair shop. Barb